ST: Mushihime-sama Maniac & Ultra modes: scoring

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
EOJ

ST: Mushihime-sama Maniac & Ultra modes: scoring

Post by EOJ »

Mushihime-sama Maniac & Ultra modes: fundamentals of scoring

1.0 Fundamentals of the game
1.1 Buttons
A: shot button, fires your main shot and lasers. Holding it down shows your hitbox, which is very useful in some of the tight spots in the game. You also slow you down when you hold this button.
B: Bomb.
C: Fullauto. Holding this allows you to have your shot and lasers fire and still move at full speed, but the downside is you do not get your hitbox highlighted nor the speed decrease which is helpful in navigating some of the complex bullet patterns. Still, this is the most useful button in chaining the stages.

1.2 Optional rapid fire buttons
A+: rapid shot.
C+: rapid fullauto.

1.3 Counters
You have three counters:
1)Overall counter (shown in the upper left for 1P and the upper right for 2P),
2)Shot counter (shown on top of the enemy you are firing at), and
3)Laser counters (shown when your lasers are hitting an enemy, in a smaller font size than the shot counter. One for each 'option' you currently have).

Basically, you want to increase your overall counter whenever possible, as it acts as a multiplier (enemy's base score value x multiplier=points received) and like any game you want that multiplier as high as possible. Also, when you can't increase it, you want to be able to at least maintain it at a steady level. These two principals (increasing and maintaining the counters) must be adhered to in order to score well in this game. The techniques described in section 2.0 enable you to do just that.

1.4 Powers
M-power, W-power, S-power. More to come later...

1.5 Options
Trace and formation. More to come later...

2.0 Fundamentals of the scoring system
2.1 Tapping techniques
2.1.1 SAT: Slow A Tapping
This is a very important and simple technique (and also the most poorly understood and overlooked one by Western players) which should be used from the beginning of midboss fights and any other large enemy with a good deal of health whose death should be prolonged in order to maintain the chain and boost the shot counter. Basically, by tapping A slowly (2-4 times per second. Tap 2 tps if you are closer and 3 or 4 tps if you are farther away) you increase the overall counter by adding the values of the laser counters to the shot counter each time you tap A. The shot counter flashes red as you do this, it drops a little each time but then rockets up higher. The longer you do it, the larger the increments of the jumps become, due to the values of the laser counters increasing over time. This technique is very useful as it increases the overall counter much faster than by just holding A or C, while allowing your laser counters to increase at their normal rate. Contrary to popular belief, this method does not make your laser counters increase faster. Also, if you tap A too fast, it will not work, as you won’t get the red flash and thus the laser counter values will not be added to the shot counter with each successive press of A. You can use an A+ (rapid shot) setting of 14 or 15 on the PS2 version if you like, but it’s more useful to do it yourself and save the A+ setting for the HCTA powershot (described below). Unfortunately, your hitbox does not show during SAT.

2.1.2 FCT: Fast C Tapping
Tap C as fast as possible (which is 5-7 times per second for humans), and 10hz (C+ (rapid fullauto) setting 2 on PS2) for rapid fire settings. This should be used most often on midbosses, on the nanabushes of Stage 2, and in segments of Stage 3 after using SAT (or in some cases, just holding C). In any case to get the most out of it you need your laser counters to be at a high value (usually 600+ each). Just like SAT, this adds the values of the laser counters to the shot counter to increase the overall counter. There is a red flash in most instances (unless you're on top of the enemy and tap C very fast), but due to your fast tapping frequency you don't have the same drop in the counter as with SAT, so the overall counter increases at an extremely fast rate. The downside is the laser counters turn red and start rapidly decreasing when you start this method, as your lasers stop firing anytime you tap C. So, this acts as the exact opposite of SAT in that the increments of the jumps on the overall counter get smaller as time goes on.

2.1.3 MFCT: Mid-Fast C Tapping
The only time this really needs to be used is on the stage 5 midboss (as FCT does not work there), and parts of stage 3 when you want to stop your lasers from firing in order to keep your chain going. Tap about 5 times per second, or use rapid fullauto (C+) setting 3 on the PS2 version.

2.1.4 SCT: Slow C Tapping
About 2-3 times per second. Same as MFCT but slower. Use it mainly on parts of stage 1 and 3 to keep your shot counter value steady. It shouldn’t be used on any midboss.

2.1.5 HCTA: Hold C and Tap A
Hold C and tap A as fast as you can, or if using rapid fire aim for A+ at 12hz- PS2 setting 4. This is the ‘power shot’, it increases your overall counter slightly faster than by just holding C (but not nearly as fast as SAT or FCT) and it is more powerful than just holding A or C, so it takes down bosses and bigger enemies faster. But the main advantage score-wise is that it increases the shot counter on smaller enemies faster where SAT and FCT do not work. A very tiresome technique for those who do not use rapid fire settings. Very useful in any case on the bosses in the game, as it destroys them faster.

2.2 Proximity effects on scoring
2.2.1 The general proximity effect
Get as close as you can to enemies, especially large ones, right before and during their appearance on screen. Using HCTA while doing this increases your shot counter markedly, especially in Stage 5.

2.2.2 The proximity effect of laser counters during FCT
Using FCT while your option(s) are in direct contact with the enemy you are firing at (as in the nanabushes in Stage 2 and the Stage 2 midboss fight using the formation option) actually enables the laser counters to continue to increase during FCT rather than decrease, which when used properly can have significant effects on your score. [Thanks to maco for this info!]
Last edited by EOJ on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 am, edited 32 times in total.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Great stuff, twe. I've been playing this for about 2 weeks now, but I had no idea about the subtleties in button pressing, so it'll be good to start implementing those techniques. Cheers! :D

Where did you learn about that, by the way?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

I learned this stuff from the superplay DVD. There's an omake section on the DVD which explains Slow A tapping and Fast C tapping in detail (they call it 'counter reset'), and I basically just translated that info from Japanese into English. The rest comes from just getting into the system and exploring the optimal button frequencies at different points of the game through many hours of trial and error. I hope to outline much more of this in the upcoming stage guides I'm working on! Stage 1 is pretty straight forward (mainly because you don't have any laser counters during the stage), but the other stages are more complex.
BulletMagnet

Re: Mushihime-sama Maniac mode: scoring fundamentals

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm actually nearly as curious about the in-depth workings of this game as I was/am about Garegga's (and likely will be for some time about Ibara's), so I hope it's okay if I try to get a couple of things clarified...maybe you and Icarus can form a support group if I manage to drive you both equally nuts. :oops:
twe wrote:Basically, by tapping A slowly (2-4 times per seconds. Tap 2 tps if you are closer and 3 or 4 tps if you are farther away) you ‘reset’ the overall counter by adding the values of the laser counters to the shot counter each time you tap A. The shot counter flashes red as you do this, it drops a little each time but then rockets up higher. The longer you do it, the larger the increments of the jumps become, due to the values of the laser counters increasing over time.
I remember something also being said on another thread about you being awarded a larger number of "hits" (around 200 or so maybe?) the instant your shot first hits the enemy, and from there the counter increases more slowly and gradually if you keep a "constant" stream of shots on the enemy...supposedly by tapping more slowly and thus "breaking and restarting" the chain repeatedly without losing very much of it each time, that same "introductory bonus" is awarded over and over again, thus increasing your total counter more quickly...does that also factor in here, or did I misread the other topic?

Also, just for the sake of interest, where do the "child counters" from the lasers factor in (if at all) if you just use, say, the "hold A" or "hold C" method to destroy an enemy the whole time? Do they keep building until the enemy is destroyed and then become added to the "parent counter" afterwards, or do they just kind of fizzle out or something like that? I just wonder exactly how big the added counter amount is when you tap compared to when you hold...do you gain nothing from the laser counters when you hold, or just less?
You can use an A+ (rapid shot) setting of 14 or 15 on the PS2 version if you like, but it’s more useful to do it yourself and save the A+ setting for the HCTA powershot (described below).
I assume this basically means that a human can do at least most of what the "A+" and "C+" buttons do with the right timing on the "regular" A and C buttons? That gives me at least some hope, since I like to use relatively few buttons...
FCT: Fast C tapping.
As a semi-side point, I imagine that both this technique and the "SAT" are generally more effective when using "Trace" options, since your options are "unfocused" when not holding down the A button and will likely be too spread out with the "Formation" options to all be hitting one enemy, unless it's a very large one (with the "trace" options you can at least try to wiggle them into a tight formation before you start firing). As something of a downside, though, the more firepower you pump into an enemy the quicker it dies, and the less time you have to build the counter...I'd assume, though, that if you do this correctly, the added counters more than make up the difference, right (would the same also apply to the "HCTA" technique, or is that more just a "quick kill" technique)?

MFCT: Mid-fast C tapping. The only time this really needs to be used is on the stage 5 midboss (as FCT does not work there), and parts of stage 3 when you want to stop your lasers from firing in order to keep your chain going.[/quote]
I guess that this is used in order to follow the "DDP Principle" of "Leave stuf alive longer here or lose the chain," or am I following you incorrectly? Also, I guess this infers that tapping C will stop your lasers from firing if you do it correctly, while tapping A will not? Interesting, I never knew that/managed to figure it out on my own...
HCTA
I imagine that holding both buttons doesn't have the same effect (or anything similar), right?

That's all I can think to ask for now...hopefully my questions were clear enough.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

BulletMagnet wrote:I remember something also being said on another thread about you being awarded a larger number of "hits" (around 200 or so maybe?) the instant your shot first hits the enemy, and from there the counter increases more slowly and gradually if you keep a "constant" stream of shots on the enemy...supposedly by tapping more slowly and thus "breaking and restarting" the chain repeatedly without losing very much of it each time, that same "introductory bonus" is awarded over and over again, thus increasing your total counter more quickly...does that also factor in here, or did I misread the other topic?
I know that was posted here before, but it is erroneous in principal.
It might factor in, but they don't mention this on the superplay DVD, and it would be a minor factor in any case. I'll have to look into it. Anyway, the main reason to use SAT is to add the laser counters to the shot counter.
Also, just for the sake of interest, where do the "child counters" from the lasers factor in (if at all) if you just use, say, the "hold A" or "hold C" method to destroy an enemy the whole time? Do they keep building until the enemy is destroyed and then become added to the "parent counter" afterwards, or do they just kind of fizzle out or something like that? I just wonder exactly how big the added counter amount is when you tap compared to when you hold...do you gain nothing from the laser counters when you hold, or just less?
Anytime an enemy dies, your laser counters on that enemy die with it. So that's why you must capitalize on the opportunities you have when it is still alive to add those laser counters to the shot counter to increase your overall counter. Holding A or C the whole fight totally wastes your laser counters. To get the most out of those counters, you must use the method of SAT followed by FCT or MFCT (for the stage 5 midboss) on the midbosses. There is no advantage to doing SAT or FCT on any of the stage bosses, however, just use HCTA as much as possible there. Hopefully in the upcoming sequel they'll implement some techniques which allow you to exploit the 'banking' of the laser counters on the bosses.
I assume this basically means that a human can do at least most of what the "A+" and "C+" buttons do with the right timing on the "regular" A and C buttons? That gives me at least some hope, since I like to use relatively few buttons...
Humans can do all the SAT stuff (I do that all manually, it's pretty easy). FCT cannot be done as optimally as with rapid fire, as humans can't hit a button 10 times per second. You can get around this (as the DVD player does) by using FCT techniques in close proximity to the midbosses (as a closer proximity requires a smaller frequency to get a similar effect).
As a semi-side point, I imagine that both this technique and the "SAT" are generally more effective when using "Trace" options, since your options are "unfocused" when not holding down the A button and will likely be too spread out with the "Formation" options to all be hitting one enemy, unless it's a very large one (with the "trace" options you can at least try to wiggle them into a tight formation before you start firing).
Well, for stage 2 and 3 there are both trace and formation ways to skyrocket your counters, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Using Formation on the first 75% of stage 3 can lead to an extremely high counter if done properly (150,000+, by the superplay DVD player). The advantage of formation on stage 3 is you can have 1 or 2 laser options firing on one of the side arms steadily, and you can do SAT to increase the overall counter while not doing much damage with your shot, allowing you to keep these sections alive for a long time which in turn allows you to maintain your chain through the level! And then you finish off these side arm segments with FCT to jack up the overall counter.
I guess that this is used in order to follow the "DDP Principle" of "Leave stuf alive longer here or lose the chain," or am I following you incorrectly?
Yes.
Also, I guess this infers that tapping C will stop your lasers from firing if you do it correctly, while tapping A will not? Interesting, I never knew that/managed to figure it out on my own...
Exactly right. That's the beauty of SAT, it allows you to 'bank' the values of the laser counters while still allowing those laser counters to increase in value, which in turn increases the 'banking' value with each successive tap of A! But any truly optimal midboss strat involves FCT after SAT, that's the only way to truly maximise the potential of the laser counters.
I imagine that holding both buttons doesn't have the same effect (or anything similar), right?
No, holding A and C doesn't produce the same effect.
Last edited by EOJ on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

twe wrote:Anytime an enemy dies, your laser counters on that enemy die with it. So that's why you must capitalize on the opportunities you have when it is still alive to add those laser counters to the shot counter to increase your overall counter. Holding A or C the whole fight totally wastes your laser counters.
I find this really interesting...seeing as Cave even bothered to display the child counters onscreen in the first place, it seems pretty apparent that they intended for the whole "counter banking" thing to be used, since the counter is useless otherwise...that said, I find it odd that this information is really only beginning to "come into the open" (at least to us Westerners) relatively recently (you got most of this from the Superplay DVD, right?)...did Cave mention any of this stuff in any of their "official" releases (say, in the PS2 version's instruction booklet or something like that)? If not, it's almost as glaring an omission as the recently-unearthed Garegga rank info, which one could only obtain by hacking the ROM... :?
But any truly optimal midboss strat involves FCT after SAT, that's the only way to truly maximise the potential of the laser counters.
I imagine that knowing the best time to switch over from SAT to FCT comes only with experience (or superplay viewing)...

That said, thanks for the info, this really does add a whole new dimension to Mushi (before this I was under the impression that this really only applied when you used the autofire hacks :oops:). Thanks again, looks like I'll hafta put in a bit of practice time and see this stuff in action for myself. :)
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

BulletMagnet wrote:did Cave mention any of this stuff in any of their "official" releases (say, in the PS2 version's instruction booklet or something like that)?
I don't think so, and i found that surprising too. I'll have another look through the booklet in a couple weeks when I go back home. Maybe they just wanted people to spend $90 on the superplay DVD, and this was an incentive to buy it? :lol:

That said, thanks for the info, this really does add a whole new dimension to Mushi (before this I was under the impression that this really only applied when you used the autofire hacks :oops:). Thanks again, looks like I'll hafta put in a bit of practice time and see this stuff in action for myself. :)
I totally know what you mean! It wasn't until I studied this info and came to understand it that I fell in love with the game. When I was in the dark about how things worked, I felt the game to be sorta average and frustrating.
BulletMagnet wrote: I imagine that knowing the best time to switch over from SAT to FCT comes only with experience (or superplay viewing)...
Actually it's very intuitive. You just learn to do it after certain attack waves when your laser counters are always at a high level (usually 800+ actually). For the second stage boss, I do SAT until the end of the third attack pattern, then I switch to FCT (this is only for the trace method, the formation option method is totally different, and the only midboss method which does NOT use SAT!), getting 120,000+ on the overall counter with rapid fire and 80,000+ without. For stage 4, do SAT until the start of the 3rd attack pattern, when you should switch to FCT and go up and down slowly in front of its mouth (your laser counters should be 1000+ each when you start it). You can get an overall counter of over 100,000 pretty easily on this midboss, even without rapid fire. Getting a high counter on the midbosses allows you to use that counter for the second half of the stage for big, big points. The tricky part is maintaining it and/or not dying. :wink:
Last edited by EOJ on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maco

Post by maco »

If you tap or use auto-fire on A you can keep the counter steady on groups of small enemies.
It could be just the same effect as SCT, but I’m sure it was different; then again I haven’t played the game for a year.

BulletMagnet wrote:I remember something also being said on another thread about you being awarded a larger number of "hits" (around 200 or so maybe?) the instant your shot first hits the enemy, and from there the counter increases more slowly and gradually if you keep a "constant" stream of shots on the enemy...supposedly by tapping more slowly and thus "breaking and restarting" the chain repeatedly without losing very much of it each time, that same "introductory bonus" is awarded over and over again, thus increasing your total counter more quickly...does that also factor in here, or did I misread the other topic?
I think this was just an idea for how the counter might be increasing when auto-fire or button tapping is used.
It’s off the click-stick message board if I remember correctly before the PS2 port was available and information in English was hard to come by.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

maco wrote:If you tap or use auto-fire on A you can keep the counter steady on groups of small enemies.
It could be just the same effect as SCT, but I’m sure it was different; then again I haven’t played the game for a year.

I'm sure it would maintain your counter, but I think it's the same effect as just holding C or A, so I don't see much point. I'll give it a try when I can play the game again in a couple weeks though. SCT is advantageous at times when you need to maintain your chain on average-health enemies as it stops the lasers from firing, whereas tapping A does not.
maco

Post by maco »

twe wrote:I'm sure it would maintain your counter, but I think it's the same effect as just holding C or A, so I don't see much point.
I'm absolutely certain it's not.

Forgot to mention in my post above, when tapping C and the options lasers stop, if you keep the options over the enemy you’re shooting (best example the stage 2 nanabushes.) the laser counters will still increase.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

maco wrote:
twe wrote:I'm sure it would maintain your counter, but I think it's the same effect as just holding C or A, so I don't see much point.
I'm absolutely certain it's not.
Really? How is it different then? I can't see where the superplay DVD player does it, he always seems to use HCTA on small groups of enemies as that increases the counter faster. Anyway I'd like to hear about this, it sounds interesting to try out.
Forgot to mention in my post above, when tapping C and the options lasers stop, if you keep the options over the enemy you’re shooting (best example the stage 2 nanabushes.) the laser counters will still increase.
You're right, and I never noticed this before! Thanks very much for that info. I just watched the superplay DVD player's stage 2 midboss fight, and as he is doing FCT, his laser counters continue to rise as he is 'on top of' the midboss. :shock:
maco

Post by maco »

I used to use it on the small insects that appear after the windmill things in stage 1 are destroyed. The chaining method I used was to destroy all the small insects (not the better method shown on the DVD.) and using the A+ set to 4 on the PS2 stopped the counter going down as fast.
Using C+ didn’t work, but maybe the auto-fire setting/tapping speed I tried was not optimal for this, and just pressing A or C destroyed everything too fast.
I also used it in a few more places, but I’m struggling to remember where, certainly some parts of stage 4.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Well okay, I'll look into this and probably add a FAT (Fast A Tapping) section to the guide. :wink:
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Thanks twe for taking the time to write this guide.

I am tapping the hell out of my Saturn Pad.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Great stuff. Do you plan on making a strategy guide for Original, too? I'd be interested in that.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

I'm not sure about doing an original mode guide, as the whole 'tapping' business if far less important there. But I may add it later just for completeness. I'd like to write a bit about Ultra mode once I get more familiar with it. I plan to switch over to Ultra once I reach my goal of 500 mil in Maniac (which will hopefully be pretty soon).

Anyway I'm glad this guide is of some help to people. I'll try to get those stage guides up soon. :D
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

twe wrote:I'm not sure about doing an original mode guide, as the whole 'tapping' business if far less important there. But I may add it later just for completeness.
That would be really nice.

Of course Original doesn't have an equally elaborate score system as the other modes, so the guide would be much shorter, but I'd love to see some stage guides (it took me ages to figure out a good route through the part with the giant centipedes by myself) and discussion of the powers (I've watched a replay with W-Power, although I'm getting better results with S-Power, which is also DELs recommendation for Original, iirc).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Herr Schatten wrote:(I've watched a replay with W-Power, although I'm getting better results with S-Power, which is also DELs recommendation for Original, iirc).
Oh, that reminds me of something I forgot to mention earlier: twe, is it more or less confirmed that W-Power is the best power for Maniac/Ultra scoring purposes, since it scores more separate "hits" for the counter and kills enemies more slowly? I'd always been under that impression...
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

BM- yes W-power seems to be the best as it deals out the most hits. However, the DVD player switches to S-power at the end of stage 4 for the first half of Stage 5, as this is more optimal at this part of the game. Very tricky to do, and you have to suicide at the stage 5 midboss to get back W-power for the rest of the level, so it should only be attempted by experts!

I've heard that M-power has some interesting advantages, I'll try and look into that soon...
eckart

Post by eckart »

From my side a big thanks to twe, too. :o

I bought the insanity dvd from mushihime, but I couldn`t understand japanese or find someone who would translate this for me.- so this dvd set didn`t work for me and I try to sell it now.- Maybe cave or this company who produce this dvd should think about english subtitles next time !!!

I am sure twe`s report help for understanding this game. I played more or less than 5 credits a day, but I didn`t play well. Too much going on and too less relaxing. So maybe a real big score from my side will be up earliest at christmas or so.:)

Anyway, today I got a 42 Mio counter after the scorpio at level 2 and I managed level 3 without a livelose and a counter about 60 MIO at Majas brain at the end . - Peanuts I know. :)
Arznei
Banned User

Post by Arznei »

Hold C and tap A as fast as you can, or if using rapid fire aim for A+ at 12hz- PS2 setting 4.
What is 12hz? There is 20 modes for 'shot' and 'full auto'.. so the HCTA is to hold C *full auto* and have A *shot* with options on shot = 4?
hd2dj07

Post by hd2dj07 »

12 time per second speed is best for hold C + tapping A.
2 is best number for PS2 rapid setup.

1 - 15 times per second
2 - 10 times per second
3 - 7.5 times per second
14 - 2 times per second

but tapping, use HAND!!!! is more powerful than rapid setup

PS> my English is so bad T.T
sorry [......]
sven666

Post by sven666 »

my stage 4 score sucks!, i cant figure out how to tap, ive tried holding C and FAT and SAT but it doesnt seem to want to go up anyways, ive tried holding both and tapping only A at various speeds to no result either.. anyone got any pro-tips? :)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

sven:

I usually just hold C most of stage 4. You want to do SAT on the two large green bugs that appear in the center of the screen in the first half of the level until your option counters are at about 200, then do SCT (slow C tapping) on them until you kill them. This will boost your main counter. When you get to the midboss do SAT through its first two patterns (you'll see the counter flashing red and increasing more and more with each tap). When it starts the third pattern move close to its mouth and tap C as fast as you can while moving up and down a little avoiding the lasers. You can get a 100,000+ counter here pretty easily with some practice (starting from a zero counter before the midboss). To kill the midboss in its final form, I stay close and hold A while moving down and left very carefully, avoiding the fire. It's difficult to maintain the chain from the midboss through the second half of the level, it usually drops to the 30,000 level for me, then goes up a bit towards the end.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

thanx twe! :D ill get right on it ;)

got any nice tips for stage 3 too? 8)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Stage 3 is probably the most complex in the game, in terms of chaining. You can do a trace route or a formation route. The DVD player does the formation route, but I find the trace route more reliable (though lower in score). For the trace route, here's some tips: use SAT on the big 'side arms' in the middle of the level, then use MFCT/FCT on them to jack up the counters. In any case, you want a trace option for the last part of the level, so be sure to pick that up instead of the formation option (this can be tricky!). Use SAT for a few seconds then MFCT (alternate back and forth a bit) as you approach the head of the bug towards the end. When you get to the head, just use SAT until your counters are 700+ then do FCT tapping to jack it up. It really helps to watch some superplay vids to see some techniques.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

aand ofcourse all this great advice means ive been playing like shite all night :?

did manage a 4,4mil on stage 1 and a +60K chain on the 2nd midboss tho, did the superplay trick of FCT ontop of the midboss during the 2nd attack and somehow didnt die!? :P crazy shit.. cant wait to get this down properly since it gets your chain up some ridiculous ammount.. :shock:
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Can a poor little console player like me use these tactics? Also, which type is best for survival and not caring about score, S-Power? Lastly, I never noticed the "C Button." I thought it was just A (tap for fast movement, hold for slow and auto-fire), and B (bomb).
Motorherp

Post by Motorherp »

First of all sorry to dig up an old thread but I figured this isn't worth starting a new one over. Anyway, I usualy play with S-Power but in all the good videos everyone seems to use W-Power so I figured this is probably for scoring reasons. Anyway, I gave it a go (in arrange mode but I've heard the scoring mechanics are basically the same) and my score dropped from 202,467,860 to 74,685,532 (both times I died on the first level 5 boss). I know they're not great scores and I'm not getting the most out the scoring system but still, this is a big drop. Is there something I'm missing here about W-Power or is S-Power actualy better?

:: SHMUP-DEV ::
- what it says on the tin
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

Bleh, the actual guide is gone......

Sorry, I dont wanna register for an entire board I've never heard of just to see it.

Is there anywhere else I might be able to get info on this? I dont understand Mushi's scoring whatsoever......

Im mostly just curious about it, though, I hate chaning systems, usually.