I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Marc »

XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Too bad AGermanArtist can't be here to see this.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Marc wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:27 pm https://theotakuauthority.com/arcade-ar ... WOWsBKbCbi

F/A confirmed.
:o sick!
Ice Beam wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:34 pm Too bad AGermanArtist can't be here to see this.
He lives on in our hearts.
BIL

GET DOWN EVERYBODY ♫

Post by BIL »

Violent RAVEWAR to come again Image

Fuckin called it. :cool: Hamster are never afraid to give STGs top billing. I bet they'll have NebulasRay before the year is out, too.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Pretty nice! I was (and still is) listening F/A and NebulasRay OST lately. I find the graphics are too dated imo, feels like mid 80s shmup for a 1992 release (no visual flairs besides the unique OST, in contrast Grid Seeker looks gorgeous and borrowing same Gulf War theme and released at the same year) and you don't get any sort of ending screen either just a classic "GAME END THANKS FOR PLAYING" like a true mid 80s shooter. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, I distinctly remember being surprised when I saw the game in action, after headbanging to its balls-hard OST. :mrgreen: Was expecting something a bit more mental, ala Raiden Fighters and its monstrously imposing bosses, but it's about as austerely military as they get. I always wanted to give it a go just for that, really; feels like Namco finally saying "ah jeeze, fuck it" and joining fellow genre founders Taito and Konami (and plucky upstart Seibu) in the Toaplanesque stakes. :cool:

Man, I hope Grid Seeker is their first pick if/when they get around to F3. Exactly the sort of unfeted gem Hamster excel at handling. That one's AST rocks, always wanted to put a game to those tunes.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

It seems Hamster was treating this anniversary release as a Special thing. Just curious what in F/A they saw as That Special.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Skyknight wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:21 pm It seems Hamster was treating this anniversary release as a Special thing. Just curious what in F/A they saw as That Special.
Don't be AGermanArtist, man. This is just the next weekly game. The special event to celebrate their 10th anniversary will take place on May 18th! :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skyknight wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:21 pmJust curious what in F/A they saw as That Special.
Austere and sharp like brade of samurai, also, pumpin choonz mit funkyzeit (`w´メ) :wink:
Arino wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:28 pm
Skyknight wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:21 pm It seems Hamster was treating this anniversary release as a Special thing. Just curious what in F/A they saw as That Special.
Don't be AGermanArtist, man. This is just the next weekly game. The special event to celebrate their 10th anniversary will take place on May 18th! :)
Wait fuck really? :o Even more bitching about too much Namco then :shock: :lol:

Ah man. I had blue balls for two goddamn decades after Namco Museum Encore. After the encore I wanted more more more! So this has been like getting Vols. 7 8 9 & 10. Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 09, 2024 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Ice Beam wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:34 pm Too bad AGermanArtist can't be here to see this.
what did I miss? his last post was basically saying people get on his tits and he doesn't give a shit. did he actually give a shit and leave?
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

AGA will return in YOU ONLY NONG TWICE from Eon Productions (`w´メ)
Arino

Post by Arino »

AGA + ACA = <3
velo

Post by velo »

I like how they managed to make F/A seem disappointing, because the assumption was that the big anniversary game would have to be something unprecedented like ACA Tekken or whatever.
Arino

Post by Arino »

velo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:58 pm
I like how they managed to make F/A seem disappointing, because the assumption was that the big anniversary game would have to be something unprecedented like ACA Tekken or whatever.
We don't like it around here if someone's talking bad about Hamster.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I did wonder if drawing attention to F/A was an extra-sneaky way of teasing Tekken. Its original name was Rave War, and that’s the name of one of F/A’s songs.

I was fully expecting Bee Gee (first Namco game of the type of Hamster’s preserving) or The Outfoxies (Smash Bros. before Smash Bros.), mostly. They were the only two Namco titles I could think of that Hamster would attach (what sounded like) sky-high, mass-appeal import to.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Finally - nice.

I’m assuming Hamster’s going to be good for the sound test like with Mystic Warriors. There’s a few unused tracks that really bang. I’m partial to Don’t touch U - goes breezy bonkers.

KHINSIDER good for the album as always:

https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-s ... s-vol.4-fa
BIL

(メ`w´) FULL ON / NON STOP / ALL OVER (`w´メ)

Post by BIL »

Christ, they must've been Koshiroing it up hard around then Image Pac-Man cash buys a lot of plane tickets! Like Recca + Raiden Fighters, but it's quicker to type RAAAVE RACERRR Image
Skyknight wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:31 pm I did wonder if drawing attention to F/A was an extra-sneaky way of teasing Tekken. Its original name was Rave War, and that’s the name of one of F/A’s songs.
Or perhaps drawing attention to the world-first, arcade-perfect Rave Racer port, which both J99 and MEGATEN and he bird AYA worked on with TEKKEN 3 maestro SANODG! Image

edit: fuck my old boots - THE LOGOS BOTH FIERY 2!!! :o

Nah, ala that nothingburger STGfest appearance a while back, everybody better RELAX like IT'S ALL OVER before AGA return and this place becomes the mother of all shineboxes. Image Might be a 3hr stream featuring some poor prick in a Mappy costume who's screaming internally the whole time! How will you feel :shock:
Arino

Re: (メ`w´) FULL ON / NON STOP / ALL OVER (`w´メ)

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:05 pm RELAX IT'S ALL OVER
I can't wait to hear this when playing F/A, more games should tell you something like that
BIL

Sending P1 ass to LAND OF BUDDAH

Post by BIL »

Works as both an all clear and a zenly menacing boss alert :mrgreen: ala one of the ice-coldest boss BGM tracknames, Gun Frontier's "Welcome To Heaven" Image
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Some-Mist wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:31 pm
what did I miss? his last post was basically saying people get on his tits and he doesn't give a shit. did he actually give a shit and leave?
His past started catching up with him, so he had to split.

From STG Weekly's Gun.Smoke episode:
Spoiler
BIL

Shumps Farm Confidential (■`w´■)

Post by BIL »

Classic nonger move, he must stay one step ahead of teh fuzz (`w´メ) Image Image Image Image
Marc

Post by Marc »

It does look a bit, well, average for the 10th Anniversary. Oh well.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Woah! Dial M for Mappy. Don't get get me wrong, ain't exactly got a boner over Tutankham, but I ain't gonna kill nobody over it.
BIL

There's been a Mappeh (■`w´■)

Post by BIL »

BEAMLORD wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 pmDial M for Mappy
:lol:

If this thread's Nonger Level doesn't calm down, I fear we may be in for a long hot summer of MIDSOMER MAPPIES Image
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

I'm a simple man, this news about F/A really made my day.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Marc wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:27 pm https://theotakuauthority.com/arcade-ar ... WOWsBKbCbi

F/A confirmed.
FINALLY!!

Looks like this Namco obssesion brought something interesting this time.
I knew they will be bringing this one. Now we only have to wait for NebulasRay.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Man, Tutankam this week...
What a cool, weird, BALLS HARD game. This super-grimy 'motorcycle club' bar near my house had it, and the leathery bartender with bleach-blonde Farrah Fawcett hair would let me come in and play as long as it was slow and I didn't bother anyone (I saw that they had it when they had the front door propped open one day), until some 'motorcycle club' guy flipped out about it

"What's that fucking kid doinginear?? Get him dafuckouttaear!!!!!!"

Years later, a couple cabinets were up at auction, and I kept getting outbid.

"Why does the world not want me playing Tutankam???"
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm relatively new to arcade games (didn't have any as a kid bcuz poor and console player,) so what's so great about F/A? It looks like a typical stg to my uncultured baka gaijin eyes.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

F/A popularity is more of a cult following thing in Japan. The music style in particular was a big change for Namco, and went on to influence their later titles like Ridge Racer and Tekken.

It has aggressive play that feels a bit Psikyo, in how you need to move up the screen to eliminate high priority targets before they can do anything. Toss in an unnecessarily large roster of playable jets, and you get the Raiden Fighters of Xevious games. :P
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

My local Funworks had gotten in a Namco Fighter/Attacker jamma conversion pcb kit that was placed inside an upright Dynamo arcade cab back in 1992. All the arcade games, prize redemption games and pinball tables only accepted tokens as "the gold standard" to credit up a game. Apparently, F/A wasn't around for very long as it was replaced with another arcade game title (in hindsight, an arcade game title will only be kept on the arcade floor if it's fed a healthy amount of tokens week in and week out, if not, it's off the arcade floor -- F/A didn't earn it's keep despite it's miniscule amount of tokens collected on a weekly basis -- hence the "real reason" why it was removed). At least I got to play a few sessions of it while it was up & running for a brief amount of time before vanishing for good. I'm surprised that the American Namco arcade subsidiary even gave F/A the proper distribution & sales of it, stateside, back in 1992.

It's about damn time that Hamster gave the proper attention that F/A so richly deserves on the Switch, PS4 and PS5 gaming platforms. As the ol' adage goes, "Better later than never", right?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~