Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
ryu

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by ryu »

Just noticed that the stereo in my office can only read in 40 directories from usb. wtf

edit: even dumber, it can only read 999 songs from usb. The others it just pretends don't exist on the stick
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah seems that tech hasn't moved on since USB playback was first introduced, bought a new one last year and it has the same limitations.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

My office has a (relatively recent) printer that doesn't allow file system browsing on a USB stick. It just scans the whole thing and shows you all the valid filetypes on the whole thing in one big list that loads slower than a tape-based game on a C64.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

When my paid YouTube Music stops working because I have an ad blocker.
We apologise for the inconvenience
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

orange808 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:14 pm When my paid YouTube Music stops working because I have an ad blocker.
I switched to Ublock and it seems to be tolerant of that. One thing it never works with is if you have a Youtube-specific adblocker; those it somehow breaks when you have paid.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finding a bird nesting in my air ducts for the second time in two years after property management told me they'd fixed things so it wouldn't happen again after the first incident.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BulletMagnet wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:03 pm Finding a bird nesting in my air ducts for the second time in two years after property management told me they'd fixed things so it wouldn't happen again after the first incident.
I can relate. Had to cap the chimney because bats kept getting trapped in the fireplace.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

BulletMagnet wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:03 pm Finding a bird nesting in my air ducts for the second time in two years after property management told me they'd fixed things so it wouldn't happen again after the first incident.
Your supervisor needs to quickly correct this pressing situation at hand as it's no fun in dealing with bird parasites getting inside living quarters after the hatchings hatch -- then you have an even bigger situation to deal with. Perhaps a fine wire mesh screen covering oughta do the trick with your air ducts. Yes, birds can be quite deft/resourceful in finding such small openings to make a nest to roost in.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Apparently they've switched to a different pest control company since the last incident, and to their credit both the housing rep and the pest service got back to me quickly once I put in the call, but unfortunately they can't get here until Monday at the soonest, so I can only hope not too much damage is being done to my flimsy foil ductwork in the meantime, not to mention deal with the constant chirping and rustling noises reverberating through my entire unit until the sun goes down; moreover, last time around after the birds were gone my unit was infested with flies for days afterwards, apparently whatever they left behind (and the previous service failed to clean up) led them to serve as one more middle finger from mother nature.

What especially sucks is that the way I first noticed they were even there was the fact that I took a few vacation days this week, and was thus around to hear the noise from the ceiling when I normally wouldn't be; dealing with this really wasn't how I wanted to spend my time off, especially since I may well need to ask work for more time off depending on when someone can actually get here.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oof, that sucks. Had similar problems when we first moved here, daft fuckers kept getting into the roof spaces through a tiny gap. Dunno how the previous tenants never did anything about it, but as PCEFX says, mesh did the trick.
orange808 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:24 pm
I can relate. Had to cap the chimney because bats kept getting trapped in the fireplace.
That's the really bad stuff with birds, since their nesting materials can trap carbon monoxide in your home. Godawful shit!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BIL wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:19 pm That's the really bad stuff with birds, since their nesting materials can trap carbon monoxide in your home. Godawful shit!
The first one made it all the way down to the fire chamber. (I don't know the proper name for it.) Didn't know anything was in there. Opened the glass to a nasty surprise--and closed it back immediately.

I would have preferred a bird over a bat, personally.