PVM 20S1WE horizontal linearity help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LDigital

PVM 20S1WE horizontal linearity help

Post by LDigital »

I am not sure where best to ask about this. I have picked up a Pvm 20s1we and it’s in really great shape. I have a Slight problem with linearity as the right of the image is more compressed than the left.

It is subtle but when playing scrolling games it’s quite distracting as things expand when they scroll right to left.

I can’t find a setting for this so I assume it’s a cap or some other component that needs changing but I can’t find a service manual for it either.

Has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?
Last edited by LDigital on Fri May 17, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt

Re: PVM 20S1WE horizontal linearity help

Post by matt »

You might be SOL on this one. Horizontal linearity is set in hardware by a combination of resistors, film capacitors, and inductors. It's very rarely something that's adjustable, and when it is the amount of correction is minimal. This model is very rare and it's hard to say whether that linearity is within the accepted range or not. A service manual would be very helpful here.

Recapping is unlikely to do anything. It's very rare to find a horizontal deflection circuit containing electrolytic caps. Stranger things have happened, though.

You'll probably find that it's OK for games. Most consumer TVs of that size are a lot worse, and gamers rarely notice. FWIW my PVM-20L5 is waaay worse than this (it's an early model with a defective linearity circuit) and I still manage to enjoy it.
atohmdiy

Re: PVM 20S1WE horizontal linearity help

Post by atohmdiy »

Personally i hate barrel effect and the three crt i am using are perfect in that regards. Most people don't care but i cannot support it, it makes a disgusting sensation like if i am wearing a wrong glass.

Funnily you hear here and there that horizontal linearity have no way to be corrected "actively" as it's built with passive parts. So "CRTs" in general have options for vertical linearity but not for horizontal... Except it's false. My BVM 2010p have an horizontal linearity trimpot, and it's basically the only BVM i saw with perfect horizontal linearity. That's why i sold my A20 and 20F1 and keep this one, even though it needed a lot of work of cleaning and recapping.

I also find two high-end PC VGA CRT. One is a Dell P1130 (F520 rebrand) and a Mitsu 2070SB. Both are low hour (7k and 5k) but both have issues. Horizontal linearity suck pretty hard on those and there is no way to correct it. Thanks for the full flat AG tube i assume...
On the other hand i heard hyundai have great VGA monitors, even if they are not as well "regarded". If you look at their service manual you'll see they indeed have an horizontal linearity option in the menu. :roll:
So there is clearly a way of doing such active circuit, but manufacturer doesn't care. Some seems to care more than the others. As i said in the JVC DT-V thread, JVC doesn't care at all, Panasonic do care and have great linearity and geometry.