EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
legolas119

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by legolas119 »

Arino wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:24 am
legolas119 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:25 pm hi, i just discovered ex-Arcadia games. Some of them it seems that aren't available on others systems...so the only way to play them is to buy the expensive arcade board and then the expensive games? I don't have a cabinet so i canìt play them in any case. For example Axel City 2, is it available on different system?
thanks
Don't get them mixed up. A lot of games on EXA have new exclusive modes that are only on EXA. It would be lame otherwise to release an indie game on a new arcade hardware that had already been on Steam for years.

Some people just buy them if they want an exclusive that's only on EXA so far and if they are sure they want to dedicate a lot of time to that version. For instance, someone told me he bought it for that EXA exclusive version of Akai Katana because he really likes the game and will put hundreds or thousands of hours into it and play nothing else, so for him it's worth it.
Btw also from what I've heard, IIRC, what some people do is they only get the mobo and then you can hack it and get all games for free basically, illegally. Only the mobo by itself is still expensive though.

I wonder what will be new about Air Gallet!
thanks. I hope Axel City 2 will be released on different system...
Arino

Post by Arino »

legolas119 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 pm
Arino wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:24 am
legolas119 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:25 pm hi, i just discovered ex-Arcadia games. Some of them it seems that aren't available on others systems...so the only way to play them is to buy the expensive arcade board and then the expensive games? I don't have a cabinet so i canìt play them in any case. For example Axel City 2, is it available on different system?
thanks
Don't get them mixed up. A lot of games on EXA have new exclusive modes that are only on EXA. It would be lame otherwise to release an indie game on a new arcade hardware that had already been on Steam for years.

Some people just buy them if they want an exclusive that's only on EXA so far and if they are sure they want to dedicate a lot of time to that version. For instance, someone told me he bought it for that EXA exclusive version of Akai Katana because he really likes the game and will put hundreds or thousands of hours into it and play nothing else, so for him it's worth it.
Btw also from what I've heard, IIRC, what some people do is they only get the mobo and then you can hack it and get all games for free basically, illegally. Only the mobo by itself is still expensive though.

I wonder what will be new about Air Gallet!
thanks. I hope Axel City 2 will be released on different system...
There is definitely a chance I guess :) However there are already a million other great fighting games so I'd just play something else in the meantime ;)
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

English/French live stream about the exA-Arcadia today at 21:00 CET (20:00 UK time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbua-2_UqU0

Featuring: Gemu Oni (Life is a Video Game), Adam Pratt (Arcade Heroes) and Mackie (exA-Arcadia).

Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Is there still no easy way to actually find an arcade that has one of these things? I'm just about stupid enough to drop the money on Batsugun (and possibly Air Gallet) if the new mode(s) are good, but I'm not stupid enough to do it without trying it for myself first.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

There are several arcades I know of in Tokyo that have exa shit, but I have a better idea: buy Batsugun on GOG (or crappy Steam, if you prefer) for $8 and pretend it's the same thing.
Air Master Burst

Steven wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:49 pm There are several arcades I know of in Tokyo that have exa shit, but I have a better idea: buy Batsugun on GOG (or crappy Steam, if you prefer) for $8 and pretend it's the same thing.
I already did that, but Batsugun is my favorite shmup that's likely to get any sort of modern update (then again, they're doing Air Gallet, so who knows?). I've been strongly considering an actual PCB setup for years now.

That said, if exa is losing money I certainly don't mind waiting for them to get desperate enough to start porting their versions. Is that likely given the people involved?
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Air Master Burst wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:28 pm Is there still no easy way to actually find an arcade that has one of these things? I'm just about stupid enough to drop the money on Batsugun (and possibly Air Gallet) if the new mode(s) are good, but I'm not stupid enough to do it without trying it for myself first.
You can find a map and list of public locations having exA-Arcadia games in operation here, this might help you (just look on the page for "Batsugun"): https://exa.arcadebelgium.be/
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Air Master Burst wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:23 pm
Steven wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:49 pm There are several arcades I know of in Tokyo that have exa shit, but I have a better idea: buy Batsugun on GOG (or crappy Steam, if you prefer) for $8 and pretend it's the same thing.
I already did that, but Batsugun is my favorite shmup that's likely to get any sort of modern update (then again, they're doing Air Gallet, so who knows?). I've been strongly considering an actual PCB setup for years now.

That said, if exa is losing money I certainly don't mind waiting for them to get desperate enough to start porting their versions. Is that likely given the people involved?

Take the initial plunge with a Exa-Arcadia setup, Air Master Burst. You don't even need a Supergun or even a dedicated candy cab setup with one if you use an Iona adapter pcb to use various console gamepads and arcade sticks to play the various Exa offerings and hook up the Exa's HD output to an 1080p or 4K gaming monitor. Add an external HD Scan Line Generator device for obligatory scanlines with some Exa based stg titles for that retro "old-school" look visually. Easy as pie.

Exa won't port their existing games to Steam, GOG or the various home gaming consoles as that isn't their intention in the first place, it's designed exclusively for the international arcade game market (hence the high prices for a single Exa game bundled set -- buy an Exa motherboard + four Exa games in one shot and you're easily spending over $10,000+ usd which doesn't include shipping as that's extra on top of what is purchased altogether -- that isn't exactly chump change nowadays but it is what it is).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri May 31, 2024 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air Master Burst

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Exa won't port their existing games to Steam, GOG or the various home gaming consoles as that isn't their intention in the first place, it's designed exclusively for the international arcade game market (hence the high prices for a single Exa game bundled set -- buy an Exa motherboard + four Exa games in one shot and you're easily spending over $10,000+ usd which doesn't include shipping as that's extra -- that isn't exactly chmup change nowadays but it is what it is).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
If their business model is currently sustainable that's fine, but at some point they'll be leaving money on the table by not doing ports. Whether it's five, ten, or twenty years from now; at some point the exa won't be a profitable platform anymore. How likely are they to do ports whenever that time eventually comes?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Air Master Burst wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:35 pm
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Exa won't port their existing games to Steam, GOG or the various home gaming consoles as that isn't their intention in the first place, it's designed exclusively for the international arcade game market (hence the high prices for a single Exa game bundled set -- buy an Exa motherboard + four Exa games in one shot and you're easily spending over $10,000+ usd which doesn't include shipping as that's extra -- that isn't exactly chump change nowadays but it is what it is).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
If their business model is currently sustainable that's fine, but at some point they'll be leaving money on the table by not doing ports. Whether it's five, ten, or twenty years from now; at some point the exa won't be a profitable platform anymore. How likely are they to do ports whenever that time eventually comes?

That'd be up to Shou and company to make that call/ultimate decision if their Exa business model isn't bringing in the income/profits like it once used to, down the road.

If you look at the current arcade games and prize redemption games being sold today to the various Family Entertainment Centers (FEC), indie arcades, barcades and franchised arcades such as Boomers!, Dave and Buster's & Round1, they aren't cheap to begin with -- it's very unlikely that whatever is bought will truly pay for themselves down the road as profit margins are "extremely razor thin" (and call it "at a loss at the end of the day") -- this is the sad but true reality that the American arcade entertainment industry faces nowadays. So be it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~