... and it made me smile.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
vol.2

Re: ... and it made me smile.

Post by vol.2 »

took a quick screen cap because I'm 100% positive that it will get removed by the mods.

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

That's pretty dark, lol. Not surprised if that gets nuked.

Something with a bit lighter humor than that: https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1786083612376641560
BIL

Favourite Matlock Quotes

Post by BIL »

Waste of a good mouth if he can fit it in w/ torch attachment tbh :O

Watching a bit too much CRIME TV atm, burger audiences are relentless >83

WTB Wakaliwood-financed Crime Fighters 4 Image
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I came in here expecting some Matlock quotes : (

I don't remember a single line or criminal scumbag, but I remember the vibes and how the stock plots go:

Step 1. A murder happens.
Step 2. Small town defense lawyer believes in his client's innocence.
Step 3. His non-white or non-male side kick (I don't think they were ever both?) does all the real work. And might face a couple minutes of peril.
Step 4. After a protracted trial where it looks like his client is fukin' hosed, Matlock saves the day by not only proving his client's innocence, but by finding the real killer!

Indeed, it's basically a Pokemon or Power Rangers episode for the elderly!

(My robot brain doesn't understand why people care so much about the trivial cosmetic differences. It's like those AI latent spaces that you slide around a little and your car transforms into a truck or a golf cart or a dinosaur but everything else around it stays the same.)
BIL

Matlock X: The Cheeks Obliterator

Post by BIL »

Sadly that is a misleading quote from Netflix's upcoming MATLOCK X, where the protagonist does not dispatch Real Murderers with grandfatherly magnanimity - but instead, remarks they're going to "get their cheeks annihilated for fifty years," etc etc. 3; It's Matlock for the Youtube generation! And me (■`w´■)

Matlock's a bit of a psychological trigger - but a happy one! - for me too; as we had two free TV stations in the early 90s, and one was TBN. So if you were home sick, or school was closed, it was you and grandma watching wizened Andy Griffith BUSTIN CRIMS, in his amiably rumpled way!

If I had 24hrs to live right now, I'd marathon Matlock. Good times. (˘w˘)

I sometimes wonder if... actually scratch that, I know the hardcore "old daytime TV dick" fanbase must be nerdfighting as we speak, with one guy calling Matlock a shitty knockoff of Columbo, and other guy saying Matlock was "Columbo done right," causing guy 1 to call guy 2 a fuckin scrub. Such strife is inevitable, in any community of People Into Things! I bet there's a good afternoon's reading there. Is MATLOCK considered the Raiden to COLUMBO's Kyuukyoku Tiger? :shock: Perhaps they both owe too much to that bitch PERRY MASON. The scope for bitter loyalist warfare on par with Rob and EOJ's famous Psikyo/CAVE nerdfights must be immense. :o
Last edited by BIL on Sat May 11, 2024 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

In retrospect it's kind of understandable the boomers are as brain-broken as they are. Growing up on TV westerns where white hero cowboys purge the savanna of native indian scum. It's like they were exposed to Disney's Pocahontas 24/7 their entire childhood.

I sometimes think about what the scumbag left's version of this propaganda would be like. Basically everything would be the exact opposite and drenched in irony poisoning. No invincible superheroes strapped down with plot armor there; the protagonists would drop like flies and be constantly replaced.

Matlock 2023

Wait what the fuck.

Follow Madeline Matlock as she rejoins the work force at a prestigious law firm, where she uses her wily tactics to win cases and expose wrong doing

.......... is nothing sacred? I do not like this BiL. I do not like this at all.
BIL

Re: ... and it made me MISOGYNAMISM (■`w´■)

Post by BIL »

YUUUCK (◎w◎;) I thought it was about his plucky MILFy daughter or something, at least! You know, "LOL U GOT SOME BIG BRITCHES 2 FILL HERE MISSEH, AT UR LATE DADS GREAT VALUE REAL MURDERER DETECTION CO" Image "YEAH WELL TURNS OUT YOUR THE REAL MURDERER" Image "NANIIIIII" Image

Matlock's Ghost: "GREAT JARB MISSEH, I CAN HEAR EM CLAPPIN HIS CHEEKS FROM ALL THE WAY UP HERE" Image

My pitiful expectations have been denied!

Matlock X: Cheeks Detonated From God's Sight Like The Terminal Fury Of Collapsing Stars would never chop poor Andy Griffith's meat and two veg off like that. (˘w˘)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BryanM wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:11 am (My robot brain doesn't understand why people care so much about the trivial cosmetic differences. It's like those AI latent spaces that you slide around a little and your car transforms into a truck or a golf cart or a dinosaur but everything else around it stays the same.)
My dad always used to say that they were adult cartoons; I don't think that the similarities are lost on people. But, yes, the window-dressing seems to be more important to some people than it does to others.

I guess in the same way that you pick one identically featured pick-up truck over another based on looks?

But then again, that's a bit of a naïve read on it; people of my dad's generation are not generally going to take a cartoon seriously, no matter how serious or "adult" you try to convince them that it is (well, excepting for those people who were always going to like animation as adults), even when they are actually taking it seriously (cries at Bambi). It's just too culturally ingrained that cartoons are for kids and of course the McCarthy era smack-down on comics and animation didn't help any to foster more adult works of the kind they got in Europe and Japan.
BryanM

Re: ... and it made me MISOGYNAMISM (■`w´■)

Post by BryanM »

BIL wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:44 pmYUUUCK (◎w◎;) I thought it was about his plucky MILFy daughter or something, at least!

Yeah, that's what I assumed it was on first blush since what else could it have been?

"Genderswap reboot. OC character, do not steal."

.... nani......?

.... hahhhhh.... If they don't respect the source material, who do they think they're making this for. There's nine seasons of Matlock already, enough to enjoy on repeat for a lifetime. (And let's not kid ourselves, Andy was the main reason to watch the show.)

Let's see how the new seasons of Night Court are doing...

In February 2023, the series was renewed for a second season, which then premiered on December 23, 2023. In May 2024, the series was renewed for a third season

Well, ok then. I don't get new seasons of many things I like, but at least someone in the world's happy. Good for'em!

Symbolic affirmative action

I checked up on how our manned mission to the moon's going (rebuilding capabilities we dismantled with the shitty shuttle program) and there was something a little dire on the wiki page: They're maybe going with the idea of having the two moonwalkers be "a woman and a person of color".

It's fine or whatever, but saying that was part of the selection criteria out loud is really....

.... the demographics on our pilots skew HUGELY in one direction. It's a gate-kept position that requires a college degree. At least for the people who'd meet NASA's criteria.

The pilots who got their certificate next door to the two-day chiropractor's school, who fly the smol planes, don't really make the cut. Nobody in their right mind is putting Harrison Ford in the pilot seat.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BryanM wrote:I checked up on how our manned mission to the moon's going
The idea of space travel or terraforming another planet strikes me as a form of escapism. We're literally thousands of years off from having the technology to realistically do it on any kind of meaningful scale, and even then stuff like terraforming is always going to be limited by a simple question of where the hell are you getting the sheer volume of oxygen and other gases to terraform somewhere like the moon? There is no physical way of creating an infinite reserve of water, food, and air for the kind of distances required for space travel, and most of the contemporary stories about this kind of thing get away with it by incorporating technology that is indistinguishable from magic.

We enjoy stories about space travel and investing money in these short rocket trips because it allows us to forget about how awful we're neglecting the planet our species will in all likelihood be stuck on.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:39 pm The idea of space travel or terraforming another planet strikes me as a form of escapism.
Indeed.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:39 pm We're literally thousands of years off from having the technology to realistically do it on any kind of meaningful scale, and even then stuff like terraforming is always going to be limited by a simple question of where the hell are you getting the sheer volume of oxygen and other gases to terraform somewhere like the moon?
You've gotten ahead of yourself. Even if you add an atmosphere, you've got no protection from the solar wind. Without a churning dynamo at its core, the moon cannot hope to deflect the nasty radioactive solar wind. Let's ignore the moon's size for convenience. Even if you managed to create an atmosphere of some sort, the sun would strip it all away.

Same problem with Mars. It's certainly large enough, but without a magnetic field, nothing else matters.
We apologise for the inconvenience
orange808

Post by orange808 »

So, the only unforgivable sin is insulting God. Do anything else you want.

Gotcha. :lol:
We apologise for the inconvenience
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Oh yes, there's a whole host of problems with gravity, atmosphere, radiation poisoning due to a lack of atmosphere, all sorts of stuff we've not even begun to address that scifi tends to ignore or handwave outright. I'd really like the world to focus more on fixing the Earth before we do too much skygazing...
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:39 pmThe idea of space travel or terraforming another planet strikes me as a form of escapism. We're literally thousands of years off from having the technology to realistically do it on any kind of meaningful scale, and even then stuff like terraforming is always going to be limited by a simple question of where the hell are you getting the sheer volume of oxygen and other gases to terraform somewhere like the moon?

I agree that O'neill cylinders or something similar would be the way to go, for the sake of efficiency. I don't know how truly realistic living in a bunker on a planetoid like a mole person would go.

As always, robots are much more suited for the void than we are. No need to worry about pesky gases or food or poop. Solar energy is all they need. The only major problem to overcome is waste heat, but I guess since momentum is preserved there's no need to do anything to generate heat. Just go into sleep mode and be an inert rock until you have to do something.

Being able to etch an AGI onto an NPU is really the first part of any space colonization mission. As every honest machine apocalypse story admits, space belongs to them. Anyone who understands math even a little knows what doubling things repeatedly results in.

Depending on how hard capital wants to grift versus becoming literally god, the timeframe to get started is more like 15 to 100 years.

Honestly don't get the whole "funding science/engineering is a waste" thing, though. What else were we going to spend the five bux on anyway? Leveling another school full of elementary children? C'mon. Tang was a wondrous treasure, compared to that.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'll truly be disappointed if I don't live long enough to see AGI kill us all.
BIL

Re: INH SUPERPLAY DVD present THE GAIJIN YAKITORI

Post by BIL »

Ah, a bit of everything I like. Image Image

1) Bent military/cop whacked without trial [JUSTICE SHOT]
2) Pedo/rapist shot in dick [MAX MULTIPLIER]
3) Blasted so many times his corpse caught on fire [OVER HEAT BONUS]

Well done soldier! Or was it medium rare Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Lander

Post by Lander »

Here at Kansas Instruments, we're all about corn.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

My nephew just completed basic training and is now a Marine! Down at Parris Island with him now for graduation. He's going to MOS in Crash Fire in Austin Texas.