Rolling Gunner (Switch/PS4/Steam/PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by BIL »

HAROLD "BEEFY NUTS" MCREE wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 pm Someone should update the thread title, it's also on PS4 and it's fuckin rad. Also it came out in NTSCJ months after US/EU for some reason, so that's even more notable ;3 ;3 ;3
This guy is an asshole but he's right :cool: Wait that's me lmao :O
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:03 pmThis guy is an asshole but he's right :cool: Wait that's me lmao :O
Pffft, an even bigger asshole would use the forum's brand spanking new system of pinging people when they're mentioned, like asking @Tokyo-J to edit the title of the first post in the thread which will update the thread title on the main board pages, or putting the suggestion to a mod like @BulletMagnet to do it. It's possible Tokyo-J doesn't realize you can update the thread by editing the first post, much like the unfortunate yet hilarious typo in the Gearshifters thread that some asshole fixed by pointing this out.

I told bm to temporarily ban me as a joke but he wouldn't ;w;

edit: it's only when you use the quote="username" function, alas
Jonpachi wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm OP mode is exactly what it says. I cleared it on my first try despite having spent very little time with vanilla RG. I dunno. I didn't get hooked.
Yeah, it's not the most thrilling arrange mode. Not a major selling point or reason to pick up the game, compared to something like Mushi 1.5 or Futari BL where the mode feels quite different and fun but without radically changing core gameplay.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed May 01, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh shit, does @ work now?! :O Hang on

@HAROLD "BEEFY NUTS" M - wait- @BIL

Ah fuck. Well I will PM him w/deets. :3
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Boo, @person doesn't work, it's only when you quote them.

WELP I WON'T BE STOPPED
Tokyo-J wrote:
someone update thread title to include PC/Steam and PS4 pretty please? :3
BIL

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch/PS4/Steam/PC)

Post by BIL »

WHOA, ITS BEAUTIFUL :O Cheers Tokyo J!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Warp_Rattler wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:52 pm
m.sniffles.esq wrote:Yeah, without a flip grip vert titles are unplayable on that small screen (hell, even with a flip grip some are unplayable...)
I bought an adapter for my Retro-bit Saturn controller to try playing Mushihimesame in tate mode, but apparently my brain didn't remind me beforehand that by holding a controller I would have to put the Switch itself down somehow, and there was no way to balance it on my lap that seemed remotely comfortable. I didn't stick with it long enough to decide whether the screen would be just right in tate or still far too small. While I doubt a flip grip-like peripheral would be very popular for the Lite, it would be nice if there were a tabletop stand that maybe offered something like a rotation option and a way to plug in external controllers. I've had no trouble with all the hori titles I've played so far, but it may also be that the conventions of that style are much better suited to a small screen than vertically-oriented games. It's not like I can't just go back to Mushihimesama or DFK on Steam with a much larger screen, but the promise of possibly playing them while reclining on the couch was so appealing...
Jonpachi wrote:It was designed by former Cave dev, Koizumi Daisuke (Deathsmiles II / Akai Katana)
Thanks for digging that up! As I said, I thought it was in one of the Rolling Gunner threads but couldn't quite turn it up on my own.

For Warp_Rattler,

There is the Retro Frog produced RoTate Stand mainly for the original Switch/Oled Switch which rotates in both 90 degrees and 270 degrees as well + the ability to either charge up the Switch or use a Switch wired gamepad/arcade stick setup (it's basically a glorified and dedicated 3-D printed rotating tabletop stand for the Switch). The Hori Portable USB Playstand for Switch using a usb-c interface solves the wired Switch controller issue with up to four players max on both OG Switch/Oled Switch and Switch Lite setups. There's also the 3rd-party made Nintendo Flipful (listed for sale on the Etsy website) that allows for the Switch's screen to be tate'd + the added convenience of charging the Switch's internal lipo battery at the same time (the Flip Grip doesn't allow you to charge up the Switch when tate'd anyways).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
guigui

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch/PS4/Steam/PC)

Post by guigui »

When it comes to tate handheld mode on the Switch, I just use the Nintendo Play Stand https://www.amazon.com/Play-stand-Suppo ... B01N9RTMWS

Put this on a table, use pro controller and you're good to go. Advantage over Flipgrip thingies is that your screen does not move when you move your controller. I did not notice it at first, but having a steady screen to play shmups is really nice.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.