Are there any 9:16 shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shatterhand

Are there any 9:16 shmups?

Post by Shatterhand »

Just the subject.

Are there vertical shmups with a 9:16 ratio? I've seen games adding borders with extra info at the top and bottom when running at 9:16 but gameplay sticks to the old 3:4.

Is there any game, home or arcade, that was made specifically for a 9:16 display, using that aspect ratio for gameplay?
Jeneki

Re: Are there any 9:16 shmups?

Post by Jeneki »

I was looking at the new Shikhondo, one of the screenshots shows the full playfield on vertical widescreen: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 3225253426
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
nogden

Post by nogden »

Skyforce Reloaded comes to mind. I could be wrong though
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

I think the OP means a vertical shmup that runs in 9:16 vertical, not 16:9 vertizontal.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Hell Blasters does that - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696 ... _Blasters/
You can rotate your 16:9 screen and it'll fill it up completely.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Danmaku unlimited 3?
Psyvariar Delta?
Working in the japanese language achievement
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

sunnshiner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:24 am I think the OP means a vertical shmup that runs in 9:16 vertical, not 16:9 vertizontal.
Yeah, sorry, maybe I should have explained better.

I know there are vertical games where you can turn your 16:9 screen to the side and make the game fill the whole "height" of the display, but the gameplay area is still 3:4

I was wondering if anyeone had made games natively running at 9:16 aspect ratio, I mean the gameplay IS made on a 9:16 area. That would mean e very thin game area but with even more vertical space.

I don't have Danmaku Unlimited 3, but I do have 2, and it's running on 3:4 aspect ratio for sure (couldn't even put it on full screen though). I also own Psyvariar Delta, and if you put the game on vertical mode on 16:9 screen, there are borders above and below exactly because... the game is running at a 3:4 ratio (pretty much like Psyvariar Medium Unity and Psyvariar Revision since that's basically just a remake of those games with some extra stuff)

I wonder because, as 16:9 screens have been the norm for more decade(s?) now, vertical games are STILL made at the 3:4 ratio most of the time. I really feel a game at a 9:16 ratio would feel very cramped, with a very thin game area, but I wondered if anyone had ever tried it.

Even for horizontal games I feel balancing the gameplay for 16:9 aspect is harder than for a 4:3 , but we had Darius back in the 80s with a even more stretched ratio and, of course, horizontal games have been using the 16:9 ratio for a while. But vertical games haven't tried the 9:16 ratio so much.

Hell Blasters seems to be doing it though, so I got curious about it.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It'd be Success' Psyvariar Medium Unit that had an official grand debut at the Japanese game centers back in March of 2000 running on Taito's G-Net arcade hardware. I had the rare opportunity to try it out twice at a Japanese game center during that point in time -- quite a memorable arcade stg, indeed, for it's time.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
nogden

Post by nogden »

I'm playing a game in tate for the first time and I had to come back and comment because I think I see what you mean. A 9:16 would perfectly fill the screen if it were rotated to tate right? That would be cool to see more games try out.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Hell Blasters is the only one that comes to mind for me too.
Personally, (and no knock on the game, it's fun, but) it feels too tall/thin to me... and if you can't rotate your screen it feels especially wasteful.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Crisis Wing was 9:16 vert early in development but I opted for more traditional 3:4 vert because the added vertcal screen real estate didn`t quite work out to my liking. The game had serious pacing issues as you were quite safe by just camping in the bottom third of the screen because you had ample time to react on almost anything that happened in the top area.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

nogden wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:12 am I'm playing a game in tate for the first time and I had to come back and comment because I think I see what you mean. A 9:16 would perfectly fill the screen if it were rotated to tate right? That would be cool to see more games try out.
Yep, that's it. I've been thinking about this as a developer because.... in one hand, why are we still doing 3:4 vertical shmups since nearly no one is playing on this ratio anymore? In the other hand, yeah, probably the same reason anyone with common sense wouldn't try to make a 16:9 vertical game. It just doesn't work well for gameplay. So I wondered if any developer out there had actually tried it out. Hell Blasters seems to be the only example I found it.
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:49 am It'd be Success' Psyvariar Medium Unit that had an official grand debut at the Japanese game centers back in March of 2000 running on Taito's G-Net arcade hardware. I had the rare opportunity to try it out twice at a Japanese game center during that point in time -- quite a memorable arcade stg, indeed, for it's time.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Pretty sure all Psyvariar ganes are just 3:4 like any other common vertical game. Maybe that mobile version which I never tried is different, I dunno. But the arcade and home games (including Delta) are all 3:4.