M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ryu

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by ryu »

Steven wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 pm You should definitely not spam bombs in Hishouzame if you want points, although on higher loops there are some places where you probably should bomb, like against the second large ship on stage 3 and possibly the stage 4 boss train things.
Isn't it just 3k per bomb? That's like 36k per loop for me. Not worth the trouble trying to clear the game nb imo
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Assuming you get all bombs and no miss + no bomb, it gives

Stage 1 = 5 bombs x 3000
Stage 2 = 6 bombs x 3000
Stage 3 = 7 bombs x 3000
Stage 4 = 9 bombs x 3000
Stage 5 = 10 bombs x 3000

= 111,000 points on loop 1 and 96,000 per loop starting on loop 2. This is somewhere around 15% of the total score you can get on loop 1. Too lazy to figure out what percentage of subsequent loops' score it is. Good luck no bombing stage 3 after loop 1, though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Dude, don't hoard bombs in toaplan games :D
Bombing shit is absolutely the right way to play Hishouzame!

Mostly though you just want them to aid you in recovery, but I tend to use them on some of those armored tanks as well.

Sure there's a bonus, but that doesn't mean you should be stingy.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Ms. Tea wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:10 pm
Arino wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pmwtf. stupid amazon. i have the two comics and zero fire came with those cards. but thats it.
These bonus covers are first press bonuses, so they tend to run out soon after release. If you're preordering/buying on release, you'll see two different copies of the regular edition: one marked "Amazon exclusive" that's at full retail price, and one that's with a discount. Amazon don't discount the versions that come with retailer-exclusive bonuses, so if you really want that cover, that's the one you want to buy.
i did pre order all three toaplan m2 releases but they only came with those two magazines and zero fire came with those credit card sized cards. because i did not buy them from amazon. it says those bonus covers are "Amazon.co.jp Exclusive[s]".
Sumez wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:01 pm Dude, don't hoard bombs in toaplan games :D
Bombing shit is absolutely the right way to play Hishouzame!

Mostly though you just want them to aid you in recovery, but I tend to use them on some of those armored tanks as well.

Sure there's a bonus, but that doesn't mean you should be stingy.
yeah true, this game is not a modern stg anyway thats built for big differences in score depending on how you play it.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah those stage 4 boss tanks are brutal unless you unload some bombs for a speedy kill. It's infinitely looping anyway, so I figure the best way to a high score is to make it as far as possible - which means when the going gets tough, bomb the shit out of it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

On the first loop the stage 4 armoured train (???) bosses are not too bad without bombs once you know what to do. For the subsequent loops you can no bomb them, but if you don't bomb them, as their HP increases it becomes increasingly difficult to kill the first one without missing at least one of the bomb pickups and to kill the second one before you get overwhelmed by the mess of larger planes and tanks that show up during the fight.

It's interesting that they put the boss fights for that stage in the middle of the stage and the previous stage doesn't really even have a boss at all.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Anyone know what the word is on the next announcement? I know which games are speculation but do we have a guess on just the date of the next announcement?
Arino

Post by Arino »

XtraSmiley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm Anyone know what the word is on the next announcement? I know which games are speculation but do we have a guess on just the date of the next announcement?
I don't think anybody knows anything. At this pace it will take decades for them to give all Toaplan games the M2 treatment. I hurt too, my thoughts are with you.

Shame on me, I had not played the first release (KKK Tiger) in so long that there was an update available today (1.05). Does Tiger Heli has auto bombing? I just played two credits (not free yet for today) and there were two occasions where it seemed like the game triggered a bomb on my behalf, if I'm correct.

Btw is KKK Tiger 2 better on SS or F3?
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

I sold all my Toaplan PCBs because i was so excited when M2 announced they will bring the classics to modern consoles. That was way back in 2020 i think...now iam sad that it takes so freakin long...and i wonder if we will ever see the whole toaplan catalogue of shmups on modern consoles
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:54 pm Does Tiger Heli has auto bombing? I just played two credits (not free yet for today) and there were two occasions where it seemed like the game triggered a bomb on my behalf, if I'm correct.
If an enemy projectile hits one of your bombs, it explodes.

Also, auto bombing is available in super easy mode.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Ice Beam wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 pm
Arino wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:54 pm Does Tiger Heli has auto bombing? I just played two credits (not free yet for today) and there were two occasions where it seemed like the game triggered a bomb on my behalf, if I'm correct.
Sorry I don't understand, can you explain how they can hit one of my bombs? Do you mean they shoot the symbol that I am supposed to shoot to get the bomb floating to pick it up?

Or maybe this is what happened? "Second Chance: If you get shot soon after starting a new game, the game will often let you off and just fire a super bomb instead." Source: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Tiger-Heli
BIL

Post by BIL »

gbaplayer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm I sold all my Toaplan PCBs because i was so excited when M2 announced they will bring the classics to modern consoles. That was way back in 2020 i think...now iam sad that it takes so freakin long...and i wonder if we will ever see the whole toaplan catalogue of shmups on modern consoles
I think they'll pull through, but it was always gonna be a long wait. I think of it this way, it was ~20 years waiting for Toaplan Shooting Battle Volume 2. So Arcade Garage, at three volumes in roughly three years, is motoring right along. ;3
Arino wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 pm
Sorry I don't understand, can you explain how they can hit one of my bombs? Do you mean they shoot the symbol that I am supposed to shoot to get the bomb floating to pick it up?

Or maybe this is what happened? "Second Chance: If you get shot soon after starting a new game, the game will often let you off and just fire a super bomb instead." Source: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Tiger-Heli
The bombs are visibly attached to your Heli's sides; if an enemy bullet hits one, it'll blow up. Won't take out your ship, happily - now that's a smart bomb! But you'll be less one bomb. ;3
Arino

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:55 pm
gbaplayer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm I sold all my Toaplan PCBs because i was so excited when M2 announced they will bring the classics to modern consoles. That was way back in 2020 i think...now iam sad that it takes so freakin long...and i wonder if we will ever see the whole toaplan catalogue of shmups on modern consoles
I think they'll pull through, but it was always gonna be a long wait. I think of it this way, it was ~20 years waiting for Toaplan Shooting Battle Volume 2. So Arcade Garage, at three volumes in roughly three years, is motoring right along. ;3
Arino wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 pm

The bombs are visibly attached to your Heli's sides; if an enemy bullet hits one, it'll blow up. Won't take out your ship, happily - now that's a smart bomb! But you'll be less one bomb. ;3
Wow! Ok thank you, I didn't realize! :D
Arino

Post by Arino »

cfx

Post by cfx »

One of those things they're working on is the shooter they are making for Compile Heart, since that has a nebulous release date of Summer 2024.

There is still no new information on that that I am aware of and is just still shown at the bottom left of this page: https://www.compileheart.com/ch_titlelineup2023_2024/

I have the impression that M2's contract work like this takes precedent over their own projects, though I could be totally wrong.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Yeah that would make sense. This article is from 2018 but it is very interesting to read it again: https://www.siliconera.com/m2-discusses ... -and-more/

TL;DR it is just a matter of time until we get a lot more great stuff.