I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jehu

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by jehu »

It does include regular autofire buttons, and it does allow you to absolutely destroy several of the games.

Make of that what you will!
BIL

broke both wrists wiener ok tho 3;

Post by BIL »

hello 'shump forum' this is William's grandma, he asked me to send you this 'selfie' after he 'f__ked himself up' at the 'numans meet' (I apologise for his bad language) it sounds like it was very violent, the last thing they heard him say was "f__k autofire and f__k all you soft as s__te c__ts, ima real m____rf___er"
Spoiler
they tell me he'd 'had quite a few' in order to get himself 'totes f___king psyched up for some numans m____rf___er' :[

well, i hope you all take more care!

regs grandma
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Hey we've heard about grandma gunning fools down in Lucky & Wild. I'd like to believe she's less an auto-fire kind of lady, and more of a "Quit crying you little pu**y, it's only a tendon injury!"

Apple doesn't fall far from that tough old tree, get well soon!
Last edited by hamfighterx on Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Oh BIL. Please never change

I spat out my drink at that post.
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Is there any reason to get the Arcade Archives releases of Pac-Man, Dig Dug or Rolling Thunder when I already own the Namco Museum Arcade Pac?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Arcade Archives has online learderboards and caravan mode. But no, not really any reason to double dip on the games you already have, unless there's a specific option you're looking for.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The Namco Museum collection also has online leaderboards, and "challenge mode" which is a caravan mode.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Oh nice! Thanks Sumez.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's a pretty nice collection, also gives you some extra options like starting on a stage you've reached previously for practice etc. Bought it for Tank Force, but ended up spending a bunch of time on the Rolling Thunders.
Couldn't give you the lowdown on input lag as I've only been playing casually, but it feels snappy to me.
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Thanks! No need to get them then. Galaxian and Ordyne are plenty already.
Marc

Post by Marc »

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024 ... s-a-secret

Secret Namco game for the 10th Anniversary on May 15th.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Marc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:53 pm https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024 ... s-a-secret

Derby Quiz: My Dream Horse finally gets a home release?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Come on Star Trigon!
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Swing for the fences and give us Rave Racer :)
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Marc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:53 pm https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024 ... s-a-secret

Who is "ohfivepro" whose tweet is posted in that linked article? Anyone here?

They are regularly the top scoring non-Japanese player on pretty much any AA game.
I'd assumed it was BIL :P
Marc

Post by Marc »

mirkvid wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:06 pm Swing for the fences and give us Rave Racer :)
Now THAT would be awesome.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
cfx

Post by cfx »

Sumez wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:32 am It's a pretty nice collection, also gives you some extra options like starting on a stage you've reached previously for practice etc. Bought it for Tank Force, but ended up spending a bunch of time on the Rolling Thunders.
Couldn't give you the lowdown on input lag as I've only been playing casually, but it feels snappy to me.
What do those have for scanline options if anything?

I just bought Arcade Archives Galaxian since it's on sale on the Japan PSN, and it's the first AA game I've gotten where the scanlines bother me because they don't appear to actually line up to the graphics. I know technically they have some issues in general, but I've been fine with them in giving the graphics an appropriate look on the other games I have.

So if that is better on the Namco collection I would probably get that too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Anything polygonal would blow my mind. Would love it to be StarBlade. Tekken 5's pack-in port is actually really good, iirc, but it's a legit killer rail shooter that deserves its own spot. Even Ridge Racer would be amazing, both to finally have a perfect home translation, and to open up the even more remote prospect of Rave Racer!

...that said, I'm not gonna get too worked up. :lol: I was just thinking, JJ Squawkers must surely be along this year. And, uh, Dragon Unit. >_> Always something to look forward to, or sometimes, give a miss so you can catch up on the other stuff Image
hamfighterx wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 pm Hey we've heard about grandma gunning fools down in Lucky & Wild. I'd like to believe she's less an auto-fire kind of lady, and more of a "Quit crying you little pu**y, it's only a tendon injury!"
:mrgreen:
Koa Zo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:10 pmWho is "ohfivepro" whose tweet is posted in that linked article? Anyone here?

They are regularly the top scoring non-Japanese player on pretty much any AA game.
I'd assumed it was BIL :P
Flattered to be considered! Image In fact, that is thread regular AGermanArtist, a notably skilled nonger!

Sent from my hospital iPhone using dongtalk
velo

Post by velo »

BIL wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 pm Anything polygonal would blow my mind. Would love it to be StarBlade. T
Seconded... that or one of the Namco Classic Collections, if there's even a chance of that.
jehu wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:13 pm It does include regular autofire buttons, and it does allow you to absolutely destroy several of the games.

Make of that what you will!
ACA Champion Wrestler allows full autofire and I 1cc'd the first time I played. :D Hamster have become more lax about it over time: oldest games had no autofire, then autofire disabled for hi score mode, and now autofire on every button in every game, whether or not it breaks the game or makes sense (but you get an asterix on the leaderboards). If you want turbo jump in Splatterhouse for whatever reason, you got it.
cfx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm I just bought Arcade Archives Galaxian since it's on sale on the Japan PSN, and it's the first AA game I've gotten where the scanlines bother me because they don't appear to actually line up to the graphics. I know technically they have some issues in general, but I've been fine with them in giving the graphics an appropriate look on the other games I have.

No Galaxian in the Namco collection. I agree that all the Namco collection games felt pretty sharp.
cfx

Post by cfx »

velo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 pm
cfx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm I just bought Arcade Archives Galaxian since it's on sale on the Japan PSN, and it's the first AA game I've gotten where the scanlines bother me because they don't appear to actually line up to the graphics. I know technically they have some issues in general, but I've been fine with them in giving the graphics an appropriate look on the other games I have.

No Galaxian in the Namco collection. I agree that all the Namco collection games felt pretty sharp.
I must be looking at the wrong thing then...what is this? https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... IVES000000
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

cfx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm

I must be looking at the wrong thing then...what is this? https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... IVES000000
That's a collection of NES games, including a NES version of Pac-Man Championship Edition. There's also a second Namco Museum Archives with a NES port of Gaplus. There's a Switch exclusive Namco Museum with arcade ports, though the Namco Museum Archives (split into two volumes unlike the arcade collection) are on Switch too.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arino

Post by Arino »

I think this is the one that only contains FC/NES versions. Therefore, they should have just named it NAMCOT collection.

Edit:
BrianC wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 pm
velo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 pm No Galaxian in the Namco collection. I agree that all the Namco collection games felt pretty sharp.
That's a collection of NES games, including a NES version of Pac-Man Championship Edition.
You were faster :P True, the rom of Pac-Man CE has also been extracted btw so you can play it on your NES if you want.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Thanks...well I'm glad I didn't buy that!

In general, I wish people were more clear when talking about Switch-only games here; not everyone owns a Switch.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

cfx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:43 pm Thanks...well I'm glad I didn't buy that!
Too many reviews on Steam are like this. I knew what I was getting before I bought it, but it's instantly assumed it's an arcade collection just because of the words "Namco Museum" (should have kept the original Namcot Collection name and extras, but we). They actually aren't bad collections, especially since they include a couple games Namcot published in Japan like Legacy of the Wizard and Mendel Palace. Not to mention FC exclusives like Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BIL wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 pm Anything polygonal would blow my mind. Would love it to be StarBlade. T
Seconded... that or one of the Namco Classic Collections, if there's even a chance of that.
I always forget those! :o They've always looked so cool, and they'd fit the anniversary theme, too.
BrianC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 amThey actually aren't bad collections, especially since they include a couple games Namcot published in Japan like Legacy of the Wizard and Mendel Palace. Not to mention FC exclusives like Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti.
Indeed! tbh, I woulda got 'em just for M2 ports of Wizard and Wanpaku. :cool: Wanpaku's great -- Rastanesque run/slasher with thunderous arcade panache -- and Wizard is not just a classic dungeon sidescroller, it's also a marvelous port from MSX by Compile; I'd love to see M2 take up stuff like MSX, PC88, and X68k, so this felt like the next best thing.

I had absolutely no idea either were included, I just wanted an M2-calibre HD option for those always-lovable Namco FC ports. So I was bewildered and impressed!

Woulda been pretty wild if they somehow got FC Bad Dudes in there too. :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

cfx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:43 pm In general, I wish people were more clear when talking about Switch-only games here; not everyone owns a Switch.
This but for PC games.
Honestly I had no idea it was Switch only.

To answer your earlier question about scanline options though, the game offers a very rudimentary traditional setting where it's just doing the lines across the screen with no sort of actual CRT simulation (thank god), and you can set the opacity to extremely light if you want (the only way I can stand fake scanlines tbh).

Interesting it also has an integer scaling option, something ACA releases seriously lack! Enabling it will disable the default scaling options, and it's so dedicated to its craft that it will actually display the game differently in handheld compared to docked because of the difference in output resolution.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Well yes, if one does not have these games for FC yet, this collection is a must buy in my opinion!
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Lucky & Wild.
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

cfx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:43 pmIn general, I wish people were more clear when talking about Switch-only games here; not everyone owns a Switch.
I did mention the exact name of the collection I was asking about. But I agree that Namco's naming scheme for their collections makes no sense and is unnecessarily confusing.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Sumez wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 am
cfx wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:43 pm In general, I wish people were more clear when talking about Switch-only games here; not everyone owns a Switch.
This but for PC games.
Honestly I had no idea it was Switch only.

To answer your earlier question about scanline options though, the game offers a very rudimentary traditional setting where it's just doing the lines across the screen with no sort of actual CRT simulation (thank god), and you can set the opacity to extremely light if you want (the only way I can stand fake scanlines tbh).

Interesting it also has an integer scaling option, something ACA releases seriously lack! Enabling it will disable the default scaling options, and it's so dedicated to its craft that it will actually display the game differently in handheld compared to docked because of the difference in output resolution.
So this one is only on Switch? https://www.nintendo.com/en-gb/Games/Ni ... 16273.html
BIL wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 am
I always forget those! :o They've always looked so cool, and they'd fit the anniversary theme, too.
BrianC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 amThey actually aren't bad collections, especially since they include a couple games Namcot published in Japan like Legacy of the Wizard and Mendel Palace. Not to mention FC exclusives like Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti.
Indeed! tbh, I woulda got 'em just for M2 ports of Wizard and Wanpaku. :cool: Wanpaku's great -- Rastanesque run/slasher with thunderous arcade panache -- and Wizard is not just a classic dungeon sidescroller, it's also a marvelous port from MSX by Compile; I'd love to see M2 take up stuff like MSX, PC88, and X68k, so this felt like the next best thing.

I had absolutely no idea either were included, I just wanted an M2-calibre HD option for those always-lovable Namco FC ports. So I was bewildered and impressed!

Woulda been pretty wild if they somehow got FC Bad Dudes in there too. :lol:
Wait. Are you saying NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Vol 1 & 2 were done by M2? I see they are at least on Steam, Switch, and PS4. I might want to buy them just because they were handled by M2.