I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Arino

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Arino »

ryu

Post by ryu »

Congrats :)

I got the 1-ALL in Hishouzame as well. recording

A fun game when everything goes according to plan. Very frustrating sometimes because the slightest deviation from a save route is almost sure to kill you, and recovery in this is very slow and painful compared to say Gradius where you're showered with power up items. For its time it's impressive how little jank there is (almost exactly 0 actually), but the lack of deep scoring mechanics really hurt this one in the long term. I improved a lot on the earlier stages on my way to the 1-ALL, but it barely reflected on my score because survival time is pretty much all that matters. Beating my previous PB took me 4 entire days because the 1-ALL was basically required unless I had gone out of my way to practice milking a checkpoint.
The music is good but unfortunately peaks in stage 3. I like the crisp visuals and detail on the small enemy sprites, but the military setting is pretty bland. This is a good game, but I wouldn't call it one of the best shmups of all time (even if it may have been very influential).
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Now both of you should do Kyuukyoku Tiger~ I find it to be way more fun!
ryu

Post by ryu »

I would have to play Tiger Heli first then :lol:

Are these games straight up tate shmups or are they like that heli game I played in an arcade once where you also move up and down the z-axis? I wasn't a huge fan of that
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

You mean Metal Hawk? No, they are just regular x- and y-axis only.

I'd say Tiger-Heli is moderately more difficult than Hishouzame, mostly because bullet sealing doesn't exist. If a tank spawns under you you'll die about one frame later, so you will absolutely need to know where and when everything spawns. If it did have sealing, the game would be much easier. It's weird that they didn't put it in there given how much it was influenced by Gyrodine and Gyrodine does have sealing (and autofire, actually!), but they didn't, so watch out.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Steven wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:49 am Now both of you should do Kyuukyoku Tiger~ I find it to be way more fun!
Steven, would you recommend the Switch version for this?
Steven

Post by Steven »

locoBro1196 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:12 am
Steven wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:49 am Now both of you should do Kyuukyoku Tiger~ I find it to be way more fun!
Steven, would you recommend the Switch version for this?
It's basically the same as the PCB, so yeah. You could even make the argument that it's better than the PCB due to removing the infinite milking and basically nobody sane would disagree.
Arino

Post by Arino »

ryu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:05 am I would have to play Tiger Heli first then :lol:

Are these games straight up tate shmups or are they like that heli game I played in an arcade once where you also move up and down the z-axis? I wasn't a huge fan of that
yes lets play tiger heli next!!! https://ibb.co/PGzGtRt
Steven wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:25 am I'd say Tiger-Heli is moderately more difficult than Hishouzame, mostly because bullet sealing doesn't exist. If a tank spawns under you you'll die about one frame later, so you will absolutely need to know where and when everything spawns. If it did have sealing, the game would be much easier. It's weird that they didn't put it in there given how much it was influenced by Gyrodine and Gyrodine does have sealing (and autofire, actually!), but they didn't, so watch out.
I recently saw a post by BIL (iirc) where he was showing how a tank came in from off screen, under his heli, and killed him immediately from off the screen or while coming in and being right under him. But I think this game would be great to learn memorizing where enemies come in next, which is probably the most important skill in the whole genre!
ryu

Post by ryu »

But my chronological list says R-Type is next... :roll:
Arino

Post by Arino »

ryu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:27 pm But my chronological list says R-Type is next... :roll:
:evil:

actually that would be fun too but idk which version on which platform on which screen id play then. what about you? i assume it is best on the ZX Spectrum.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I only got it on R-Type Dimensions EX right now so that's what it's going to be for me

I think I heard the port on R-Types is closest to the arcade version however
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arino wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:27 pmI recently saw a post by BIL (iirc) where he was showing how a tank came in from off screen, under his heli, and killed him immediately from off the screen or while coming in and being right under him.
My kingdom for a Youtube embed feature 3;

Said she saw me fail the pointblank! (It wasn't me Image)
Buttfucked by the snipertank! (It wasn't me Image)
Saw me flunk outta the TLB! (It wasn't me Image)
Even did falsificare! (It wasn't me Image)

But nah, wasn't me! Can I interest you in this Micronics Ougi: Shunkan Idou Zako Heli, instead? ;3 You get FC Kyuukyoku and more FO FREE with PS4/NSW Toaplan Arcade Garage Volume 1: Kyuukyoku Tiger Heli!
ryu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:02 pmI think I heard the port on R-Types is closest to the arcade version however
Yep! Only caveat is, it's a tick faster at the PS1's 60hz, versus the M72's 55hz. A bit tougher, and a feather in the caps of those who've mastered these versions, but it's very adjustable to, imo.
Arino

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:03 pm Can I interest you in this Micronics Ougi: Shunkan Idou zako heli, instead? ;3 You get FC Kyuukyoku and more FO FREE with PS4/NSW Toaplan Arcade Garage Volume 1: Kyuukyoku Tiger Heli!
lol
ryu wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:02 pm I only got it on R-Type Dimensions EX right now so that's what it's going to be for me

I think I heard the port on R-Types is closest to the arcade version however
mister would be best i guess for the arcade version (original m72 hardware aside) but i still dont have one ):
i understand that dimensions and rtypes psx are closer to the original but my fav non original versions would be pce hu card us version and master system because that version is kinda cute. u can tell it was made by compile :lol:

damn im trying to find that video right now of tiger heli, it was hilarious. it was somewhere here on this forum, maybe on the m2 thread
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm took a year off, but i'm back and cleared gAlaga \^-^/
Dangun Feveron (Arcade) - Very Hard - Cleared - NoMiss
Wow, Dangun Feveron 1CC. Huge respect.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm took a year off, but i'm back and cleared gAlaga \^-^/
Dangun Feveron (Arcade) - Very Hard - Cleared (Ship: Tyoe B, Bomb, Roll, Speed 4) - NoMiss
God damn :shock: Image DIP switch inventor dude is smiling in heaven at ur cranking 2 tha MAXXX Image
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

locoBro1196 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm
Dangun Feveron (Arcade) - Very Hard - Cleared - NoMiss
Wow, Dangun Feveron 1CC. Huge respect.
tHankz ^-^7
BIL wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm
Dangun Feveron (Arcade) - Very Hard - Cleared (Ship: Tyoe B, Bomb, Roll, Speed 4) - NoMiss
God damn :shock: Image DIP switch inventor dude is smiling in heaven at ur cranking 2 tha MAXXX Image
glad yOu dug it, d00d ^^
sorry it took so long to clEar it. last year was fukken ridiculous, and i had to put the run on hOld for a minute. /-\
back tO having no life yAy =D

also, regarding the difficulty on the hardest setting, i don't think it really matters all tHat much. i'm nOt sure why they're even there on arcade games sOmetimes. i thought tHat dictated the speed of the enemy projectiles at 1st, but i found out later from aquas tHat it was due to the ship speed 'cause the faster the ship, the faster the bullets, apparently.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

It's not much, but just got a 1CC on Gekirindan, 2P side with Type C. Took about 4 hours and after some practice, the ship is so overpowered that the game is really not much of a challenge.

I will attempt to 1CC with some other ship later this week just to satiate the completionist side of me.

I know it doesn't get much love, but I kinda dig this game. Gorgeous graphics and color palette, amazing OST (except perhaps for S5's theme), all the Toaplan throwbacks and a nice learning curve. Recommended and I look forward to getting more out of it.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 amalso, regarding the difficulty on the hardest setting, i don't think it really matters all tHat much. i'm nOt sure why they're even there on arcade games sOmetimes. i thought tHat dictated the speed of the enemy projectiles at 1st, but i found out later from aquas tHat it was due to the ship speed 'cause the faster the ship, the faster the bullets, apparently.
Nah, faster = bigger ship hitbox. But you can still fly clean through bullets even with the biggest hitbox because Cave games are fucking stupid.
99% of the rank is bullet speed. The difficulty dipswitch only affects the basic rank layer which gets close to max by stage 3 on defaults. Other potential rank sources then get put on top making the impact smaller still.
If I were to romhack the game first priority would be to try to rip out the rank system and replace it with something like higher rank = incrementally more random bullet trajectories, like DonPachi's suicide bullets.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 amalso, regarding the difficulty on the hardest setting, i don't think it really matters all tHat much. i'm nOt sure why they're even there on arcade games sOmetimes.
Yeah, there's several I can think of where it's like playing Spot The Difference. The approach Lethe mentions in Dangun - maxing the Rank a little earlier than usual, to the point an expert will be comfy with anyway - is exactly how Super Contra, Sunset Riders, and Mystic Warriors work. I still never trust em though! not since Metal Slug 3, whose infamously unbalanced "lmao, kids, have u herd of russian roulette ;3 ;3 ;3" fourth boss goes fuckin mental at Level 8. You never know when they're gonna pull a wisenheimer, these cute pricks! Image

Crankin Them DIPs, or A Test Of Fear Image Image
DGR114

Post by DGR114 »

Donpachi (US) 1-ALL
Ship: Type C
Score: 8,481,330
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Nebulas Ray 2350110pts Nomiss + Challenging Area ALL

Happens to be my first Namco 1CC too! Let's pray that this will be the 10th Anniversary ACA secret game reveal on May 15th, the chance is very slim but never zero.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beautiful clear for a beautiful game. Image Image Love the intro Hamster shout :mrgreen:
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

Since I've gotten all the clears I wanted for Calice, here's what I've done over the past month:

Strikers 1945 1-ALL with Bf-109
Metal Black 1cc (I also got a 536k but I didn't upload a video for that one)
Scramble Spirits 1-ALL
Giga Wing 1cc with Ruby, 51.6t
Muchi Muchi Pork! 1-ALL, v1.0 with Momo, 111.7m
War of Aero 2-ALL, 1.729m, community record score

6 clears is the most I've gotten in a tournament, and I'm also top 10 overall and of course, first place in War of Aero right now, so this has been by far my most successful arcade competition.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

ZPScissors wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:07 am Since I've gotten all the clears I wanted for Calice, here's what I've done over the past month:

Strikers 1945 1-ALL with Bf-109
Metal Black 1cc (I also got a 536k but I didn't upload a video for that one)
Scramble Spirits 1-ALL
Giga Wing 1cc with Ruby, 51.6t
Muchi Muchi Pork! 1-ALL, v1.0 with Momo, 111.7m
War of Aero 2-ALL, 1.729m, community record score

6 clears is the most I've gotten in a tournament, and I'm also top 10 overall and of course, first place in War of Aero right now, so this has been by far my most successful arcade competition.
congrats, I'm in awe. Your WoA 1st place is some seriously impressive stuff and it deserves all the publicity it can get. That game is a real motherfucker.

I could only manage top 50 in the tourney but it was a lot of fun.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Just cleared Thunder Force V on PS1. Very interesting departure from the previous games which were more slow paced memorizers. This one was almost like a caravan shooter with a lot more emphasis on scoring from quick kills. Overall a good time with a fantastic OST.