I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jucksalbe

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Jucksalbe »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm How many ACA games do you guys have and on which platform?
176 on Switch and 11 on PS4 (basically what I bought before the Switch came out). My most played are probably Puzzle Bobble and Donkey Kong.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm How many ACA games do you guys have and on which platform?
75 AA and 3 ACA Neogeo on PlayStation 4 (Actually 76, but I've deleted Dino Rex from my console)
15 ACA Neogeo on XBOX Series X
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

162 on Switch
115 on PSN
velo

Post by velo »

Around 75, all on Switch. ACA/Neo Geo ratio is around 2:1. There's at least another 20-30 I'd be happy to grab at any moment, but I'm already backed up and they're not going anywhere.
Marc wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 pm Well that was a fucking waste of time.
This thread is perpetually disappointed... :P
BIL

KOROSHITEYARUUU (◎w◎;)

Post by BIL »

MFW when I see ACA thread Image
Jucksalbe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 pm176 on Switch and 11 on PS4 (basically what I bought before the Switch came out). My most played are probably Puzzle Bobble and Donkey Kong.
Ah shit, I knew I was forgetting something besides M2 AGES. I'd nab all the Nintendo stuff in a heartbeat. Most of it anyway, never got along with Urban Champion on FC. Sound of AC Excitebike and Balloon Fight always gives me beast wood though! Even the carts are cab-ready. Image
Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 pm75 AA and 3 ACA Neogeo on PlayStation 4 (Actually 76, but I've deleted Dino Rex from my console)
15 ACA Neogeo on XBOX Series X
Glad I'm not the only one with a SHAMEFUR DELETE Image I skipped Dino Rex, despite my burning admiration of Senba-san, a man so hardcore, he coded Gun Frontier in his drawers to survive the deadly heatwave. Image

But I don't bother with fighters much outside the most obvious. Errehbody loves Sam Sho II, it has the ultraviolence pampered modernity craves Image Incendiary Image JIGOKU HEN Image fury makes boners rage and bub-bubs bounce Image
cfx

Post by cfx »

I'm a peasant with nine, on PS4:
  • Burning Force
  • Gaplus
  • Halley's Comet
  • Phelios
  • Rolling Thunder 2
  • Xexex
  • Neo-Geo ASO II
  • Neo-Geo Shock Troopers
  • Neo-Geo 2020 Super Baseball
There's 40+ more I want, mainly shooters, beat-em-ups and puzzle games, and will eventually get most of. I get the ones I want most upon release and wait on others since a few random ones are on sale from time to time, though they haven't done that in a while so maybe it's no longer the case.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sima Tuna wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 pm
Steven wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am One more thing to add to the fortunately very small pile of ACA disappointments: WHERE THE FUCK IS MEMODAMA?!?!

Oh yeah, Konmai being Konmai. That might have something, or everything, to do with it. They're too busy contracting WayBackward to make Contra: Operation Garbage and making Metal Gear pachislot machines to rerelease their good games. Memodama is Teki-Paki-tier, which is not an accolade that I give out often, so a rerelease would be great.

Anyway, yeah, Hamster does some odd stuff on occasion, like not having good scaling or occasional weird autofire options. It's mostly excellent, though. Please, Hamster, talk to Konmai and rescue Memodama from obscurity. Get R-Type/2/Leo from Irem while you're at it.
And now Wayforward have been contracted to make some extra-shitty-looking Yar's Revenge metroidvania that has nothing to do with Yar's Revenge or Atari arcade games in general.
That does not look especially promising.

cfx wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 pm
Steven wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am One more thing to add to the fortunately very small pile of ACA disappointments: WHERE THE FUCK IS MEMODAMA?!?!
It's Konami GX which Hamster hasn't tackled yet. I'd expect them to start with Gokujyou Parodius if/when they work on that hardware. So I don't think Konami is to blame here.
It's still probably Konami's fault somehow because Konami sucks. They even managed to somehow mess up the Metal Gear collection they puked out several months ago. At least they bothered to fix some, and only some, of the problems with it. Modders had to do most of the rest of what should have been done in the first place.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm
MJR wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm
Arino wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:14 pm

I think Splatterhouse felt laggy, too. Is it?
I have the PCB, but I really didn't notice anything being really off with the Switch version. And I have both the Konami collection and the ACA version. Of course, I can't milk the last boss for millions quite as neatly as I can with the PCB, but it can be due to other reasons than just lag (distance from the screen, controller, etc etc etc)
There's a Konami Collection featuring Splatterhouse? :lol: :wink:

I am really curious now regarding the input lag of the three games I mentioned (Plus Alpha, Hacha Mecha Fighter, 64th Street). Has anybody compared the PCBs vs their respective ACA releases?

Damn I can't wait for next Friday! I also want the puzzle game from today but I'm trying to hold back. I already have so many ACA games and it's not even half of what I want.
Yes, the secret konami collection featuring that Parodius / Splatterhouse mash-up :lol:

It’s also possible that I was hallucinating before I had my morning coffee, but I would never admit that!

What was that edgelord who was annoyed that we buy ACA games that were already on Mame? Which he, as he kindly shared us, never plays anyway? That was the classic example of a recluse who just found internet and decided to try it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Playing stuff on MAME has only encouraged me to buy the same games on ACA/ShotTriggers/PCB.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Steven wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:50 am Playing stuff on MAME has only encouraged me to buy the same games on ACA/ShotTriggers/PCB.
Yup MAME is like the free to play demo of every vintage arcade game to me.
BIL wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:19 pm My PS4 is mostly an ACA/ShotTriggers machine
I know right? I barely have any PS4 games that are actually new. Over 90% is ACA, M2, and the like. Same with the Switch: My first two games were Virtua Racing and OutRun.
Sumez wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm I barely ever used my ps5.
I'd have barely used mine either if I had one. I still don't have a reason to get one and its life cycle is basically half over by now, three and a half years after its release.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The current console gen has been a huge snoozer. I skipped every system except switch and I feel like there's still nothing worth buying a ps5 or sexbox for. Switch has its issues but it gets a ton of arcade and old PC ports + the first party nintendo shit.

I probably won't buy any more consoles after this. Hybrid portables? Maybe. Might get a steam deck someday or some other portable system. But I think I'm done with console gaming on a tv. It takes up too much space and is less comfortable for me than portable. PC has everything else covered, even though I don't own a great pc. At this point in my life, there are more games already made than I have life left to play, I'd wager.
jehu

Post by jehu »

The new Tatsujin is going to be a system seller for me like it's 1988.
Spoiler
My ACA collection is up there with pablumatic's. Never counted, and kinda don't want to.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sima Tuna wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:41 pm The current console gen has been a huge snoozer. I skipped every system except switch and I feel like there's still nothing worth buying a ps5 or sexbox for. Switch has its issues but it gets a ton of arcade and old PC ports + the first party nintendo shit.

I probably won't buy any more consoles after this. Hybrid portables? Maybe. Might get a steam deck someday or some other portable system. But I think I'm done with console gaming on a tv. It takes up too much space and is less comfortable for me than portable. PC has everything else covered, even though I don't own a great pc. At this point in my life, there are more games already made than I have life left to play, I'd wager.

For Sima Tuna,

The 256gb LCD variant Steam Deck is a mere $349.99 usd brand new -- it used to retail for $449.99 back in 2022-2023 but Valve made it the introductory model when they debuted the newest 512gb & 1tb OLED variant Steam Decks back in November of 2023. Awesome as a handheld or hooked up to a 1080p or 4K gaming monitor with a Dock port setup. I use mine with a 65w 20000mAh power bank as it's quite a "power hungry beast" as it is -- the internal lipo battery just doesn't last long enough if playing for a good few hours "on the go".

Back to the original thread topic at hand.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Arino wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pmHow many ACA games do you guys have and on which platform?

Guarantee I'm the craziest person here. Every Switch ACA Neo Geo release (108 of them) + every Switch Arcade Archives (302 and counting). I also have a small handful of PS4 AA games from before Switch came out: Haunted Castle, Wonder Boy, Crazy Climber, A-Jax, Double Dragon 1&2, a couple more. Oh, and Neo Turf Masters on PS4, because any console is better with Neo Turf Masters.

Around the time of Switch release, I sold most of my Neo Geo AES collection for a lot of money (had almost every fighting game, Japan region - and a pricey Samurai Shodown 5 Special US cart). It was actually stressing me out keeping those around and worrying something would happen to them. With some of that money, I decided to get all of the ACA Neo Geo series because hey, fun portable Neo Geo and I still have an Neo SD cart. So yeah, 108 ACA Neo Geo games cost a good chunk, but selling my one KoF 2001 cart paid for the entire line. I'd make that trade again in a heartbeat. I did hang onto Rage of the Dragons though.

Now the thing is... that got me into the habit, and I just kept buying the weekly release once they moved to non-Neo Geo Arcade Archives. Now I just budget for my weekly AA game: 1-2 fancy coffees or some old arcade game? I know which one I'll choose, guess I'm just an Arcade Archives lifer now. Most of the time I fire up the game, mess around with it, and come back to favorites. I've played a LOT of Gunnail, Sunset Riders, Salamander. Sometimes I'll get on a weird kick - like, I was out at a ski resort this winter and saw a Taito Alpine Ski cabinet and was kind of obsessed for the next few weeks.

I rarely regret a purchase, I truly enjoy getting that weekly routine of playing the new game (which might be entirely new to me). I've only had a mental struggle with a couple of them... Vs. Mahjong comes to mind as a purchase that did not excite me much, left that one for a while but then thought F it, I'll just buy it to say I have em all lol.

I really do just like supporting this awesome project though, Hamster is doing the lord's work here.
Last edited by hamfighterx on Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arino

Post by Arino »

at what time do the games always come out? I just always wait until Friday and then it's available
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Arino wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:45 pm at what time do the games always come out? I just always wait until Friday and then it's available
On Switch it depends on the region, I know it's Thursdays 15:00 CET on the German eShop, Wednesdays 17:00 CET on the Japanese eShop (basically midnight in Japan) and sometime later on Thursdays in NA.
No idea when they get released on PSN.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jucksalbe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:53 pmOn Switch it depends on the region, I know it's Thursdays 15:00 CET on the German eShop, Wednesdays 17:00 CET on the Japanese eShop (basically midnight in Japan) and sometime later on Thursdays in NA.
The weekly Switch NA update is Thursday at 09:00 Pacific/12:00 noon Eastern.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Ok thanks!
BIL wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm No, City Connection didn't develop those releases, as far as I know. You'd be bringing some very useful information, if you could confirm that!
Maybe I was thinking so because for instance look here: http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamst ... es/lom.htm (says ©CITY CONNECTION CO., LTD. under screenshot, and I think it's the same for all other Jaleco games)

Who is CC anyway? Don't they own all the JALECO IPs or something? Are they ex JALECO staff?

I also wonder if there is still a chance to get Secret Agent (Sly Spy) as ACA because that "Johnny Turbo's Arcade" version sucks really bad, plus it is only on Switch.

Also, which Jaleco game is this one? https://ibb.co/80zns0R Is it on ACA?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arino wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 pm Ok thanks!
BIL wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm No, City Connection didn't develop those releases, as far as I know. You'd be bringing some very useful information, if you could confirm that!
Maybe I was thinking so because for instance look here: http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamst ... es/lom.htm (says ©CITY CONNECTION CO., LTD. under screenshot, and I think it's the same for all other Jaleco games)
AFAIK, that indicates the game's current IP owner. Konami Digital Entertainment, Bandai Namco, Taito Corporation, etc.

Athena, NMK, Video System, UPL, Nichibutsu, and Allumer's games read "Hamster Co," since Hamster owns the rights to those catalogues.

>Daioh (Athena)
>Thunder Dragon 2 (NMK)
>Sonic Wings (Video System)
>Atomic Robo Kid (UPL)
>Terra Cresta (Nichibutsu)
>War of Aero (Allumer)

I had a pet theory, years ago, that ZeroDiv (not the best reputation, certainly not back then) might've been in charge of Strikers 1945 Plus for ACA-NeoGeo. Only because that release is still, to this day, the most troubled in all of ACA history. :lol: Launched with horribly choppy slowdown emulation. Was swiftly patched, and is now as close to its MVS cart as any other ACA-NG release.

Even then though, I think that was just a bizarre one-off. The only third-party dev that's confirmed to have worked on ACA is Gotch, who handled a bunch of Konami releases (including the world's absolute first accurate Contra emulation). You can see their name on the title screen of everything they handled, IIRC. Also did Darius, The Ninja Warriors, and Ark Area.

I've another pet theory they're working with Hamster again, with the similarities between the Switch's Namco Museum Xevious and ACA's. Both have the option of simulating monitor burn-in. :cool: Just a theory, though.
Who is CC anyway? Don't they own all the JALECO IPs or something? Are they ex JALECO staff?
Good question, I've never really narrowed it down. They seem to own Jaleco's catalogue, at least, but they've also done some exemplary work with a bunch of other big names, like their Sunsoft and Natsume soundtrack compilations (featuring a seriously balls-out IP rescue in the Batman OSTs), plus that Senjou no Okami x Top Secret comp for Capcom.

And of course their less celebrated stuff with Psikyo and S-Tribute. >_> :lol: Must be a fairly large outfit, with a portfolio like theirs.
I also wonder if there is still a chance to get Secret Agent (Sly Spy) as ACA because that "Johnny Turbo's Arcade" version sucks really bad, plus it is only on Switch.
I'm faintly hopeful something will work out. G-Mode seems to have most of those classic DECO IPs, and Hamster have licensed a handful of goodies from them like Darwin, Burgertime, and everyone's favourite TRIO TEH PUNCH: NEVAR 4GET ME :cool: (super solid action game! not just a cracked-out face!)

M2 also mentioned a DECO project, some years back now. IIRC, their president has absolute beast wood for Boogie Wings and Ed Randy... so with the two best having expressed interest, here's hoping. DECO ARMY MAN FILES feat Heavy Barrel, Bloody Wolf, Midnight Resistance and Thunder Zone pls. Image
Also, which Jaleco game is this one? https://ibb.co/80zns0R Is it on ACA?
Blimey, looks rad. :o Reminds me of Dengeki Big Bang / Clash At Demonhead. Nothing like that on ACA, at least as far as I know.
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

Some Namco and NeoGeo games are on sale on the JP eShop now (other regions/consoles will likely follow soon).

Namco (30% off):
  • Pac-Man
  • Dig-Dug
  • Ordyne
  • Galaxian
  • Rolling Thunder
NeoGeo (50% off):
  • Metal Slug
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
  • Last Resort
  • Prehistoric Isle 2
  • Puzzled
So nothing too exciting. Namco games are mostly games that are featured in many other collections and the NeoGeo games mostly have been on sale multiple times already (though I don't own Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, so maybe that wasn't on sale before).
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

All bangers - get on 'em!

Yeah BIL, it's definitely ZeroDiv's name on the title screen for Strikers 1945 Plus (at least on the Windows version, which I was playing last night). It's a strange one because it looks noticeably choppy to me (on both PC and PS4) even after the patch, as if it's a running at a non-native framerate, although I don't think that's actually the case. I just know it doesn't have the same jerkiness on original hardware/CRT...
Arino

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm TRIO TEH PUNCH: NEVAR 4GET ME :cool: (super solid action game! not just a cracked-out face!)
Thanks! Just bought it, will check it out another time.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arino wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:48 pm
BIL wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm TRIO TEH PUNCH: NEVAR 4GET ME :cool: (super solid action game! not just a cracked-out face!)
Thanks! Just bought it, will check it out another time.
Sound choice! I recommend Ninja, best running animation in business. Image
QUADRICEPS OF STEEL (■`w´■)
It's known more for its inimitably bizarre style, but the Darkness Bop is absolutely Rygar-calibre. Cookin' tunes as always from GAMADELIC, too!
CERO Z for HARD VIOLENCE BOP (■`w´■)
Around its release, Hamster's playtesting team posted a hint about the bonus roulette wheel; IIRC, the ACA ver has optional custom autofire, so you'll get the best pick every time. Technically a cheat but roulettes are dumb anyway tbh. Image
Klatrymadon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:35 pm All bangers - get on 'em!

Yeah BIL, it's definitely ZeroDiv's name on the title screen for Strikers 1945 Plus (at least on the Windows version, which I was playing last night). It's a strange one because it looks noticeably choppy to me (on both PC and PS4) even after the patch, as if it's a running at a non-native framerate, although I don't think that's actually the case. I just know it doesn't have the same jerkiness on original hardware/CRT...
Damn, I'd wondered if I should give my cart another look after that post. :o I remember thinking the PS4 one seemed ok, post-patch, but maybe that's more to do with it being absolutely god-awful, pre-patch. :lol:

I wonder if it really was some (thankfully short-lived) one-off with ZeroDiv.
Arino

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm Blimey, looks rad. :o
I know right?! :D I found it. It's Ginga Ninkyouden (銀河任侠伝) – Arcade (1987) http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ginga-ninkyouden/
BIL wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm Sound choice!
Yes I just youtubed it briefly and it looked great, I wasn't really aware of it so I just bought it. I'm sure it's cool, so thanks again :D But for now Hishozame is still keeping me busy :]
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Arcade Archives Namco Bird.

Arcade Archives: Numan Athletics' screenshots are up
https://www.famitsu.com/article/202404/3287

Since May is Arcade Archives' Anniversary what do you expect? My predictions are Space Invaders, Raiden II, Darius Gaiden and the rumored Shienryu.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
cfx

Post by cfx »

Jucksalbe wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 pm Some Namco and NeoGeo games are on sale on the JP eShop now (other regions/consoles will likely follow soon).

Namco (30% off):
  • Pac-Man
  • Dig-Dug
  • Ordyne
  • Galaxian
  • Rolling Thunder
NeoGeo (50% off):
  • Metal Slug
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
  • Last Resort
  • Prehistoric Isle 2
  • Puzzled
So nothing too exciting. Namco games are mostly games that are featured in many other collections and the NeoGeo games mostly have been on sale multiple times already (though I don't own Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, so maybe that wasn't on sale before).
The Namco games are on sale on the Japanese PSN as well, but the NeoGeo ones aren't. Which sucks as I' wanted Last Resort. Got Galaxian though.
cfx

Post by cfx »

[removed weird double post]
Last edited by cfx on Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I don't have anything particularly profound to say about Numan Athletics after a little time with it.

It's pretty fun.

All the mini games use only three buttons (no lever needed). Doing the alternating 1st and 3rd button presses to run is truly annoying on a Switch joycon. Hamster tries to remedy this, I think, by letting you use left-stick or d-pad in place of the 1 and 3 buttons. Even still, I don't like it.

I'd recommend playing this one on a console that you have an arcade stick for. The button layout feels much, much more natural. This is also one for you and the homies - kinda gets dull when you're competing against no-one.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

If nothing else, using arcade-sized buttons is important for rapid-tapping techniques that use multiple fingers on one button.

Does it include the usual autofire settings? Might be crazy if one could trivialize the tapping sections just by turning this on.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Just bought it. PS4 - clearly the best console ever. All due to Hamster and M2 :D