M2 Toaplan collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: M2 Toaplan collection

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 am Out Zone's stage 3 laser hallway kills synchronized autofire.
Wait what how?
This is a perfect way to test my new autofire circuit
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 am
Steven wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 am Out Zone's stage 3 laser hallway kills synchronized autofire.
Wait what how?
This is a perfect way to test my new autofire circuit
Try 30Hz synchronized as you run up the side of the corridor with the 3-way. For me, at least on the RECO v4.1, it is essentially the same effect as holding the shot button without any autofire at all, so it gives one shot every second or so. I think it's something to do with the heavy slowdown in that area. When I put it in asynchronous mode it worked like you'd expect autofire to work. I haven't used the asynchronous mode aside from that one test, but I can go try again.

Let me know what happens!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ah yeah makes sense. If the game is running slow it's only parsing every second frame (30hz), so if the autofire is toggling the input perfectly every frame at 60hz, the game will only ever read one of the button's two states.

You can prevent that issue by parsing button on/off toggles during the vblank interrupt instead of doing it in the frame logic. You generally don't want your games to eat inputs because of slowdown.

However, even non-synced 30hz autofire should result in a similar issue, right? I imagine it would detect a button toggle ever so often, but still rare enough for it to come across like autofire.

Also, in the context of M2 release, it makes no sense for autofire to ever not be synchronized, since it's running in an emulator. They are controlling the video sync from the same program that controls the input. However, if they are super smart they'll take the extra step to sync the autofire to the actual code running the frame logic, instead of the emulated hardware, so the autofire will also slow down when the game does. :) As if it were hardcoded into the original game.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Hishozame is so freakin awesome, I am glad they did the military shooters first! Maybe they should have added Daisenpu, just to wrap it up.

Is there anybody else who always hits R1/R2/L1/L2 by mistake and then the menu pops up or whatever those buttons are assigned to? I have never had this problem in decades, not with any other PlayStation controller, nor any other controller, but the shoulder buttons of the DualShock 4 are just too sensitive for me I guess.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I'm using the Hori Octa. The menu opens with the face button. And yeah I pressed it accidentally once and immediately proceeded to remap my autofire button to one that wasn't directly beneath it. :roll:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Arino

Post by Arino »

My girlfriend never ever plays video games. Last thing she played was when she went to kindergarten, she had a pink DS with New Super Mario Bros. But yesterday she wanted to play Hishozame. She found it too hard so I set it to super easy mode for her. She cleared it with plenty of lives left. It ended after one loop and I saw some crazy stuff. Like bullets being extremely close to the ship, then disappearing. I wonder what exactly was changed because it is super easy indeed. I am glad it made her happy because otherwise that mode would be completely useless :D
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Arino wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:49 am Last thing she played was when she went to kindergarten, she had a pink DS with New Super Mario Bros.
Ngl, my first thought was "what is your girlfriend like 11?"

cfx

Post by cfx »

Same thought I had...
Arino

Post by Arino »

The DS came out like 20 years ago?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Feels like 4 tho
ryu

Post by ryu »

lmao guys

The 3DS still feels like it was just yesterday to me though...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Arino

Post by Arino »

yeah!

finally got the 1CC in hishozame, i love this game! even turned out to be a no miss! but then in 2-3 i got screwed really bad and lost all my lives, it was hilarious. i should record the replay and upload it just for how bad i messed up recovering at that checkpoint in 2-3 (between the two big ships). i know how to deal with this section so idk how it could go so wrong, it was quite funny though.

edit: https://youtu.be/iTlHjKo85wY (i stopped recording not long after the end of loop 1)

btw in Hishozame, is it possible to destroy the ship in stage 3 before it takes off? just wondering
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The game absolutely rocks. It feels like just the core elements of modern'ish shooting games distilled to their absolute essentials.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hishouzame is unquestionably one of the best shooting games ever made. The game is essentially flawless, unless you want to count the minor slowdown on stage 5 near the rocks. It has a purity and an elegance that few other games even approach having but is also fun to play and endlessly replay.

It's really too bad that Toaplan separated the dream team that was Yuge/Uemura/Iwabuchi/Ogihara, but at least they got to do both Hishouzame (with Takano) and Kyuukyoku Tiger (with Shimizu) together.
Arino

Post by Arino »

hamfighterx wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:10 am
Ghegs wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:38 pmI wonder if I can just slip the alternative cover inside the case with the one already there, bit annoying to store otherwise.
That's exactly what I do, alternate cover goes right over the top of the standard one. The whole family:
I wish there was a special arrange mode where you could map each shot type to its own button on the controller, that'd be cool.
I'm sort of shocked that isn't an option, I certainly thought it would be!
why do yours look like this why mine look like that? https://ibb.co/PGzGtRt

it is not due to yours being on switch i think because i have also seen the wardner cover for ps4
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Those were bonus covers that came only from copies ordered through Amazon I think. I did the same thing with mine: :)

Arino

Post by Arino »

Sumez wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:30 pm Those were bonus covers that came only from copies ordered through Amazon I think. I did the same thing with mine: :)

wtf. stupid amazon. i have the two comics and zero fire came with those cards. but thats it. i think there was also a release with a fake kit box and like two post cards or something but the difference in price was ridiculous and a fake kit box for an extra $50 or idk how much it was is just pathetic if you ask me. but i am jealous of those stupid amazon covers ): you realise that the ones im showing are bonus covers too, right? these are not the default ones. wait, do u have these too? or is your cover of the third game (get star/wardner/demon's world) the only bonus cover?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, sorry, I was gonna mention - these are extra covers bundled with the game, I put them in empty Switch cases. The regular cover is still reversible

I think you can still get the versions from Amazon with the extra covers, on both Switch and PS4. IIRC it's what you get from picking the "includes Amazon.co.jp exclusive"
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E3%82%BC ... 0C1SMH42M/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E9%A3%9B ... 09QMD1XSL/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E7%A9%B6 ... 0996BWXC2/
Arino

Post by Arino »

Sumez wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:49 pm Yeah, sorry, I was gonna mention - these are extra covers bundled with the game, I put them in empty Switch cases. The regular cover is still reversible

I think you can still get the versions from Amazon with the extra covers, on both Switch and PS4. IIRC it's what you get from picking the "includes Amazon.co.jp exclusive"
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E3%82%BC ... 0C1SMH42M/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E9%A3%9B ... 09QMD1XSL/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E7%A9%B6 ... 0996BWXC2/
thank you :) those are so pretty! kkk tiger ps4 is already gone though with the amazon bonus. i hate how i didnt know.
Last edited by Arino on Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm not too fond of the Horror Story artwork, but the back features a cute map of the entire game, with almost all the enemy types present. That's extremely cool.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Sumez wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:53 pm I'm not too fond of the Horror Story artwork, but the back features a cute map of the entire game, with almost all the enemy types present. That's extremely cool.
yes i just saw that!!! i like both a lot, front and back of horror story! can u show the back of wardner?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Here are the backs of all three Amazon exclusive covers:

Arino

Post by Arino »

hamfighterx wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 pm Here are the backs of all three Amazon exclusive covers:

thx!
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Zero Fire did not come with a magazine right?
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No, and even though I can't read Japanese I'm still furious. :D
Arino

Post by Arino »

gbaplayer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 am Zero Fire did not come with a magazine right?
Mine came with a few little cards.

Guys I realized I was playing Hishozame wrong all this entire time :cry: :cry: :cry: For some stupid reason I was 100% convinced there was no bomb bonus in this game. So convinced that I never even paid attention to the calculations after each stage. I must have thought it's a bonus for remaining lives in stock. That's why I kept using the bombs even in stage 1!

https://youtu.be/iTlHjKo85wY

I can't believe this :cry: That's already 15k worth of points wasted only in stage 1!
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol that's why I was curious about if you were going to do a no bomb! Picking up all of the bombs on stage 5 takes some practice, but it is doable.
Arino

Post by Arino »

Steven wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:33 pm lol that's why I was curious about if you were going to do a no bomb! Picking up all of the bombs on stage 5 takes some practice, but it is doable.
And I didn't understand why you suggested such a run because I thought there would be no extra points for that anyway :lol:

Yeah I only understood this not long ago that you can only reveal one bomb at a time to collect all of them. Seems like there is one in stage 4 for instance that I always missed because those two trains are right next to each other.

Btw I found the one to blame for my mistake. Clearly nobody can blame me for not noticing this over and over again at the end of each stage that there is a bomb displayed with "3000 POINTS" next to it. It is all Aquas' fault! I heard him talking about the bombs in this video and what he says make you believe there is absolutely no reason at all to save the bombs. Go to 06:15 here: https://youtu.be/6Bqx3vR2v7E

"The game really encourages you to use the bombs, and not just hoard them!"

This statement is extremely misleading and dangerous. How is the game encouraging you to use the bombs if you miss out on points that way at the end of each stage? Aquas, I expect a formal apology via Twitter/X or YouTube, compensation, and an updated version of the video above where you poisoned our SHMUPS community with these fake news and absurd conspiracy theories about the bombs in Hishozame.
Steven

Post by Steven »

You should definitely not spam bombs in Hishouzame if you want points, although on higher loops there are some places where you probably should bomb, like against the second large ship on stage 3 and possibly the stage 4 boss train things.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Arino wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pmwtf. stupid amazon. i have the two comics and zero fire came with those cards. but thats it.
These bonus covers are first press bonuses, so they tend to run out soon after release. If you're preordering/buying on release, you'll see two different copies of the regular edition: one marked "Amazon exclusive" that's at full retail price, and one that's with a discount. Amazon don't discount the versions that come with retailer-exclusive bonuses, so if you really want that cover, that's the one you want to buy.