I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Steven »

Given how Japanese works, Gump is more or less acceptable as a thing for ガンプ. Probably not the best choice unless Namco has officially decided that it is Gump, but still valid enough unless they previously officially decided that it was Gamp, in which case they should stop being inconsistent.

Then again Namco managed to turn Ragnarok in Tales of Phantasia into Kangaroo because 2005~2006 MS Word's spell check didn't know what Ragnarok is.
BIL

Post by BIL »

IIRC, GAMP was canonically an acronym for the signature enemy AI / Rank. General AI Mainframe Pooter, or something. Endo-san must be fuming! Then again, he didn't work on this game according to Strategywiki. Maybe he DGAF. Possibly enjoying the stylings of Robert Zemeckis right now!
Steven wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:44 amThen again Namco managed to turn Ragnarok in Tales of Phantasia into Kangaroo because 2005~2006 MS Word's spell check didn't know what Ragnarok is.
Dear god that's amazing. Image My personal favourite used to be Aria of Sorrow's howlers. Kali = "Curly." Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! Look Moe, I am become Death, destroyer of worlds! woowoopwoopwoop
SeafoamGaming wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:34 am Looking at the other VS system games Namco made and oh boy I see Quest of Ki on the list...

...Despite being kinda redundant due to being in the Namcot Collection DLC I still kinda want it on ACA since it would make for a chaotic Caravan Mode game
That one I'd have been quite a bit more interested in. Never did try out the FC version, but I dig its arcade predecessors, and Hamster did splendidly with their manuals, which are more like onboard strategy guides.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:13 am IIRC, GAMP was canonically an acronym for the signature enemy AI / Rank. General AI Mainframe Pooter, or something. Endo-san must be fuming! Then again, he didn't work on this game according to Strategywiki. Maybe he DGAF. Possibly enjoying the stylings of Robert Zemeckis right now!
Steven wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:44 amThen again Namco managed to turn Ragnarok in Tales of Phantasia into Kangaroo because 2005~2006 MS Word's spell check didn't know what Ragnarok is.
Dear god that's amazing. Image My personal favourite used to be Aria of Sorrow's howlers. Kali = "Curly." Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! Look Moe, I am become Death, destroyer of worlds! woowoopwoopwoop
And "Rally Ho!" from Hanna Barbara's The Impossibles somehow got turned into a classic Final Fantasy catch phrase, "Lali Ho!". Some games like Final Fantasy IX straight up used "Rally Ho!".
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:13 am Dear god that's amazing. Image My personal favourite used to be Aria of Sorrow's howlers. Kali = "Curly." Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! Look Moe, I am become Death, destroyer of worlds! woowoopwoopwoop
The official English script of Tales of Phantasia goes something like
Long ago, there was a war between gods. It is known to us as Kangaroo.
I was quite confused the first time I saw it. "Kangaroo? u wot m8?" Yeah. They definitely didn't check the script thoroughly after they ran it through spell check, hit replace all a few times, and called it good.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

hamfighterx wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 pm I don't think Hamster is cruel enough to have this buildup and then go with... Tinkle Pit? (for anyone who can't deal with happy gay dolphins, IDK what to even say to you about TINKLE PIT)
What's wrong with Tinkle Pit? I want Tinkle Pit.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:20 am
hamfighterx wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 pm I don't think Hamster is cruel enough to have this buildup and then go with... Tinkle Pit? (for anyone who can't deal with happy gay dolphins, IDK what to even say to you about TINKLE PIT)
What's wrong with Tinkle Pit? I want Tinkle Pit.
It's TURNIN' THE FRICKEN FROGS GAY :O
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

The frogs were always gay, look at them.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

AGermanArtist wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:50 am The frogs were always gay, look at them.

Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

What exactly is VS. SUPER XEVIOUS MYSTERY OF GUMP ???

is Super Xevious or another version?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:27 pm What exactly is VS. SUPER XEVIOUS MYSTERY OF GUMP ???
Experimental Famicom sequel. Do the correct thing in each stage to advance, or you'll have to do it again but harder. First stage is "hide in the correct cloud."

Makes my wiener soft and floppy like cheese just thinking about it tbh. 3; I spent all last night playing Metal Hawk instead. :cool: Now that is bravura Namco! Masterpiece time attack STG. Seek And Destroy And DEATH FROM ABOVE Image
Lemnear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:27 pmis Super Xevious or another version?
Same name, totally different games.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Sima Tuna wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:57 am
AGermanArtist wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:50 am The frogs were always gay, look at them.

I am away from this thread for few days and that was all it took to descend in to madness :lol:

Keep up the Lord’s good work.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:33 pm
Lemnear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:27 pm What exactly is VS. SUPER XEVIOUS MYSTERY OF GUMP ???
Experimental Famicom sequel. Do the correct thing in each stage to advance, or you'll have to do it again but harder. First stage is "hide in the correct cloud."

Makes my wiener soft and floppy like cheese just thinking about it tbh. 3; I spent all last night playing Metal Hawk instead. :cool: Now that is bravura Namco! Masterpiece time attack STG. Seek And Destroy And DEATH FROM ABOVE Image
Lemnear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:27 pmis Super Xevious or another version?
Same name, totally different games.
Ty!
Why japanese are so convoluted with names? :lol:
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

:?
MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:24 pm Nebulas Ray is really cool looking. I'd still rather have Viper Phase 1. That game looks soo clean.
I'm expecting Viper Phase 1 and / or Raiden II for the end of the year.

Nebulas Ray and Viper Phase 1 in EGM

https://i.imgur.com/rmgv4DO.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/oa4Mt7X.jpeg
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

OldSkoolShmuper wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:12 pm :?
MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:24 pm Nebulas Ray is really cool looking. I'd still rather have Viper Phase 1. That game looks soo clean.

Yes, Fabtek did sell/distribute the Seibu Kaihatsu SP1-based Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. jamma conversion kits to arcade owners, operators and Vending companies that leased their arcade game cabs to local businesses stateside. It was back in September of 1995 that I first saw Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. up & running on a Dynamo cab sporting a 29" CRT Wells Gardener arcade monitor setup at the local arcade hangout called "The Electric Underground". Both high scores and high score initials were saved via a back-up battery that had RTC functionality as well. It was a mere four nickels per credit to try out VP1-USA during that period in time.

----------
Of course, it's well-known that VP1-USA is the same game (in terms of gameplay & game mechanics) as it's Japanese counterpart of "Viper Phase 1 - New Version" running on the SP1 arcade hardware setup.
----------

If Hamster does get around to releasing VP1-USA as an ACA port, it'd have to be a complete bundled set with the original Viper Phase 1, Viper Phase 1 - New Version and Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. roms -- anything less than that would be a dis-service to shmuppers worldwide.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:52 am
OldSkoolShmuper wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:12 pm :?

Yes, Fabtek did sell/distribute the Seibu Kaihatsu SP1-based Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. jamma conversion kits to arcade owners, operators and Vending companies that leased their arcade game cabs to local businesses stateside. It was back in September of 1995 that I first saw Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. up & running on a Dynamo cab sporting a 29" CRT Wells Gardener arcade monitor setup at the local arcade hangout called "The Electric Underground". Both high scores and high score initials were saved via a back-up battery that had RTC functionality as well. It was a mere four nickels per credit to try out VP1-USA during that period in time.

----------
Of course, it's well-known that VP1-USA is the same game (in terms of gameplay & game mechanics) as it's Japanese counterpart of "Viper Phase 1 - New Version" running on the SP1 arcade hardware setup.
----------

If Hamster does get around to releasing VP1-USA as an ACA port, it'd have to be a complete bundled set with the original Viper Phase 1, Viper Phase 1 - New Version and Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. roms -- anything less than that would be a dis-service to shmuppers worldwide.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The hardware is called Seibu SPI i think, not SP1. Which is confusing when talking about VP1 yes.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Are the games on Taito's Milestone collections straight up Hamster's releases on a cartridge or are they different ports?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

The former.
ryu

Post by ryu »

AGermanArtist wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:29 pm The former.
Nice, thanks!
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

I STILL want Thunder Fox.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I want Sam Fox
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I want the Fantastic Mr Fox
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

AGermanArtist wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:29 pm The former.
Aren't they missing some features like Caravan mode and probably some other extras, though? So they are not exactly the same? (I don't own either collection so I'm not sure)
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Yes, it's the ACA w/out Caravan/Hi Score. If you want that buy the ACA :roll:

https://seafoamgaming.com/2022/04/18/ta ... ch-review/
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Arcade Archives Namco Bird.

Emeraldia screenshots are up, and all indicates the game has english translation.
We can only guess what would be next week's game.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202404170043/
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Ungh. On a positive note, that's 4 games out of the way.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Another one for the

AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Can't win 'em all. Can't say NAMCO MONTH has been that enthralling.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

How much enthrallment does one need daily on average? -_- Emeraldia does look charming and interesting enough, in any case.

Keep in mind that the greater part of Namco’s earlier ouevre has already been published. Of course it’s mostly arcana now (and arcane hardly implies not worthwhile). Of course, I have a feeling F/A would count as arcane to most gamers, compared to Dig Dug & Co….
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Nothing of the Namco Month games grabbed me. Their age wasn't a consideration. That's good enough. You do you.
Last edited by AGermanArtist on Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was a bit lukewarm on the Namco Month thing, tbh. They've been in regular rotation for the last two years now. Similar sentiments for a Taito Month.

They're legendary names, with plenty of essential works not in the bag, but I'm not ruling out Numan Athletics or The OutFoxies for later in the year, should F/A end this set. (or vice-versa) 2023's contemporary picks - Phelios, Rolling Thunder 2, Splatterhouse, Burning Force, Cosmo Gang The STG - were spread out over months, too, with lots of other goodies interspersed. (Tank Force, Finest Hour, Baraduke 2, and last of the evergreens Galaga, Bosconian, Grobda, Sky Kid DX, Dig Dug II & Pole Position II)

A Tecmo Month that polished off Final Star Force, Pleiades, Phoenix, and Riot, now we'd be talking. :cool: (yeah I know, Phoenix IP issues 3; I've hopes it'll make it in via Taito) Or Banpresto, yo I'll pay the animu tax for that Sailor Moon beltscroller. :o Or even Konami tbh, given their recent long absence.

Ah well. re Namco, now that their 70s/80s catalogue is largely in the bag, I wonder if earlier 3D stuff like StarBlade, Air Combat, and Cyber Sled might get a look in, sometime. And Ridge Racer + Rave Racer, ofc. Maybe something for if/when they move to current gen.

OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me if they coast along with Vs. System ports and rando sports titles. \(˘w˘)/ Approaching a wizened quarter-century, Ruthless Hamster knows how to survive the jungle.

ACA Tenth anniversary's coming up in just over a month. I wonder how they'll handle it; technically they were PS4-only then, but the entire line (barring perennial straggler Wonder Boy) has made it to Switch now, too.

Dream no-hoper wish would be the return of SNK, and getting really out of hand, Technos and IREM. I was so happy to see stuff like Double Dragon II and Dogosoken get definitive home releases, when I first got into ACA in 2019. (not to associate FC Double Dragon II, a masterpiece in its own right, with Micronics' characteristically poor FC Dogo)

Would love to see the handful of gems left on Digital Eclipse's shitshow SNK 40th given proper home release. Search And Rescue, of course, but also Prehistoric Isle, Bermuda Triangle, and Time Soldiers. The last being ADK's, but if it's on an SNK comp, I'm guessing there's no legal issue.