Anyone know how much current the Everdrive N8 draws?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Marmotta

Anyone know how much current the Everdrive N8 draws?

Post by Marmotta »

I'm working on a replacement USB-C power supply for the Famicom AV and was trying to work out what output current would be necessary for the voltage regulator. With a regular cartridge on an NESRGB modded console, I've measured it pulling just under 500mA, but I was wanting to leave a fair amount of headroom for the Everdrive and additional mods. I'm working on an assumption that 1A should be fine, as that's what I'm guessing the original LM7805 regulator was capable of outputting, but if anyone knows exactly how much more the Everdrive draws than a regular cart, that'd be great.

There's loads of information out there for the portable Everdrive carts, as people are wary of battery consumption, but I can't seem to find anything about the NES/Famicom ones.
DejahThoris

Re: Anyone know how much current the Everdrive N8 draws?

Post by DejahThoris »

Marmotta wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:20 pmI'm working on an assumption that 1A should be fine, as that's what I'm guessing the original LM7805 regulator was capable of outputting
Why guess? The datasheet is your friend, and has the answer you seek. No need to measure the N8's draw since it runs just fine on the LM7805 in there. Just look at the top of the datasheet, and bam, you're done.