NESRGB Purple Output

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kegwin

NESRGB Purple Output

Post by kegwin »

I installed my NESRGB yesterday with Voultar's NESRGB QSB and I am experiencing a wide variety of colors depending on the type of output I am using. If I am using composite I get a flashing screen that flashes between black and white and mostly correct colors. When I use S-Video I get the correct colors, when I use RGB SCART I get a purple hue on the blue and red channel, green comes through find. You can find images I captured with my retrotink 4k here: https://imgur.com/a/suPpfM2.

I get the same image with each connection when I am connect to my PVM. The only difference I notice is that composite flashes faster.

I did some voltage measurements on the output of the NESRGB for RGB and CS as I was thinking maybe red was putting out more power. Here are my measurements: r=.443v, g=.437v, b=.443v, cs=1.917v. Thinking that maybe red and blue were crossing I've tested for shorts between everything on the NESRGB and there are none.

I have tried 3 different power supplies with no change. I've also tried all cables with a SNES and the video comes through correct.

Any advice or thoughts as to what might be wrong?
kegwin

Re: NESRGB Purple Output

Post by kegwin »

I must have spent too much time looking at it yesterday. I think I only checked for shorts on adjacent connections. It turns out blue and red were shorted together like I thought. Two of the legs on the Voultar board that solders to the NESRGB had a tiny solder bridge. Thankfully I had a microscope to do some rework. Colors are coming through great on S-video and SCART RGB. I am still getting the flicker on composite though. Could that be because I didn't cut the trace on the board like suggested in etim's installation guide?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

As far as I can tell from your photos you have both original composite video and V from the NESRGB going to the same pin. I don't know Voultar's products, but that's what it looks like to me.

That's probably why you are getting flicker. You have to decide on one signal, but it would be easier to just cut the trace on the motherboard :)
kegwin

Post by kegwin »

Thank you!