32GS95UE 1080p/480hz OLED - A compelling option for retrogaming?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: 32GS95UE 1080p/480hz OLED - A compelling option for retrogaming?

Post by Guspaz »

You can get it sharper (on the LG C1 at least) by cranking the sharpness setting, which on 240p content in PC mode doesn't have much in the way of oversharpening artifacts, but it's far from a perfect solution.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

It's always confusing what sharpness level is closest to the raw image on these things. Is it default, 0 or some random number? Or does that change depending on different input resolutions etc?

Like even if you got integer scaling you would have to somehow know the right sharpness setting to maintain that.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Rastan78 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:12 pm Could be although the entire image looks blurred over consistent with non integer scaling.

One interesting case running outside of PC mode was Kyuukyoku Tiger title screen. It has a solid dark blue background with a large red Taito logo. Aside from pronounced compression artifacts throughout the solid blue color the logo is heavily smeared around the edges to a degree not seen anywhere else on the screen. To me that implies the scaling algorithm interpreted the large blocky logo as macroblocking in a video source and targeted that area with heavy smoothing. And that is with "AI upscaling" or whatever they call it turned off.

Granted they change firmware on these things all the time, but it seems like there is some notable difference in upscaling method with PC mode.
What you are describing sounds exactly like reduced chroma resolution (4:2:2), and why it looks better in PC mode, because it displays chrome at full RGB4:4:4.

Older LG OLEDs, the 2017/2018-series especially, looked much worse with 4:2:2 than the new sets. The difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 on the new models isn't that big, but of course I would always enable 4:4:4 through PC mode for gaming :)
Rastan78 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:43 pm It's always confusing what sharpness level is closest to the raw image on these things. Is it default, 0 or some random number? Or does that change depending on different input resolutions etc?

Like even if you got integer scaling you would have to somehow know the right sharpness setting to maintain that.
On LG the correct value is 0.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Konsolkongen wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:22 pmOn LG the correct value is 0.
Thanks.
Probably bc I have 48 inch C1 and 42 inch C2 the scaling looks crisp in PC mode even though not integer. I imagine the subtle blur would be more obvious on the bigger sets.