Shenmue III

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Shenmue III

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 pmBut realizing the other big hits when this was in arcades were games like Commando and Spartan-X makes me wonder if Yu Suzuki is a time traveller from the year 2000 who just ran out of material once he re-merged with his original timeline.
I'm so moved, you're making me miss dance battling my tragic BFF / account suicide victim Drum, who once scandalously impugned Suzuki's Super Scaler oeuvre as "rollercoasters for people too fat to fit in the seats." Image :lol: I adore all these games now more than ever, even though all my fat is on my peepee. :O
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 pm It's probably healthy, my life improved greatly once I disconnected from the game industry's never ending hype cycles and constant "must play"s and "BUY THIS NOW OR TRUE GAMING DIES FOREVER" underdog sales narratives. On the other hand I'm not a professional game creator asking people and publishers for piles and piles of money, so lol WTF@that. Maybe updating a design template that felt kinda out of step with the times even when it was cutting edge 20 years ago would be a decent way to do right by your supporters.
There IS a middle ground yknow..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Blinge wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:38 amThere IS a middle ground yknow..
That's just what they want you to think. That's how they get ya.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Suzuki himself said he doesn't play games or pay attention to the industry anymore.
Honestly i think it's arrogant.

Not necessarily.
As a counterpoint: I was reading an interview with an employee of Bioshock guy's (since shuddered) studio, and they were saying while the basically unlimited budget and no delivery deadline certainly didn't help matters, the biggest problem was that Bioshock guy kept playing other games. In that, he'd play -- say -- Void Bastards over the weekend, then come in Monday demanding they implement all these things he liked from Void Bastards. The next weekend he'd play Bloodborne, then concepts from Bloodborne would need to be added. The weekend after that it would be Gorf... etc, etc, etc. It was endless, and they could never settle on a core because he was always either adding to what existed, or changing it completely.

So for some: Bubble = Good
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Actually, I think I owe Suzuki-san an apology. I was looking through some old magazines when I found this (characteristically dreadful) Gamefan interview with him ahead of the release of VF2. He mentions a couple of times here that he doesn't play video games or care about what anyone else is doing, so at least he's been consistent over his career.

And as the guy who was basically single-handedly the reason Sega became something bigger than more notable early 80s arcade contemporaries like Taito or Namco ever managed to be, you can't really criticize the approach. I'm a little skeptical he actually spent two decades at the top of the industry without actually ever playing and analyzing what the competition was doing; something like VF's implementation of frame data is suspiciously precise. But I can accept that he was mainly just vibing off regular stuff he liked in real life - sports cars & racing bikes, Top Gun, kung fu movies, prog rock album art, etc. It wouldn't have been unreasonable for him to believe that's why his games came across as original and resonated broadly and internationally with the normies, while deeply-reverential-to-gaming stuff like Gunstar struggled at retail. And it's not like he had zero dogs on his resume at this point - he mentions in the interview that he'd love to do a fantasy RPG, leaving out (or maybe just forgetting) that he'd headed up 1989's early Mega Drive title Sword of Vermillion, a game whose play mechanics come across like they were drawn up by someone who'd only heard about action RPGs in a boardroom planning meeting or something. (There were rumours that an earlier 1989 MD title, Phantasy Star II, had its first person dungeons cut due to ROM restraints following the 1988 chip shortage - I've kind of wondered for a while if those elements were just repurposed for Vermilion's super scaler-ey 1st person dungeons).

Reading this era of magazines, I kinda feel bad for all the Sega heads in GF's editorial and readership getting their hopes up for the upcoming "arcade perfect" Daytona, knowing what's coming.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

while deeply-reverential-to-gaming stuff like Gunstar struggled at retail

I don't know where you were living, but I had to wait a month to get that motherfucker

"No, we sold out. We're getting five more next Tuesday"

Next Tuesday...

"Aw, we just sold out. Come back, next Tuesday we're getting eight more"

Next Tuesday...

"Oh, the distributor was out. Next week, we'll have ten of those motherfuckers"

I couldn't even rent that shit from Blockbuster. Just saying.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:15 pm
So for some: Bubble = Good
Show me an example of where bubble made a better game.
because it sure as shit didn't work for Shenmue III.
Which I understand, is just a filler episode.

https://youtu.be/FpNAKDx4CwY?si=7IK-MlW1wFA4vykn

I enjoyed this guy's video on it. watch it or don't.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Show me an example of where bubble made a better game.

Oh, I thought I already shared an anecdote about a guy who spent like ten years attempting to make a game, but was allowing himself to be influenced by too many other games, and it ended catastrophically. Not being privy to the development process of the majority of games, that's all I got. But I do know there's no one 'correct' process for creating anything.

Maybe I should make a video?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

alright entering rude territory are we? fine.

You told me an example where you think a guy was hindered by outside influence.

I asked for an example of a bubble making a better game.
If you need help with this one I can make a video about basic reading comprehension for you.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

You're absolutely correct. No idea what I was thinking
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

/I.. i // cannot compute
//head explode