Neo Geo 161 in 1 (Version 3) how are they?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LDigital

Neo Geo 161 in 1 (Version 3) how are they?

Post by LDigital »

I had to sell my Neo SD flash cart a while back and luckily I have the analogue pocket for my neo geo needs, however I recently dug out my old consolized mvs that I Built and wondered if the multi carts have improved or are still junk? The main issues on my old v1 used to be really dodgy sound and occasional glitches. Have things gotten better?
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Neo Geo 161 in 1 (Version 3) how are they?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've wondered about this newest Version 3 "161-in-1" MVS multicart setup as well. It's a mere $61.00 usd on eBay right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

LDigital wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm I had to sell my Neo SD flash cart a while back and luckily I have the analogue pocket for my neo geo needs, however I recently dug out my old consolized mvs that I Built and wondered if the multi carts have improved or are still junk? The main issues on my old v1 used to be really dodgy sound and occasional glitches. Have things gotten better?
I believe the dodgy sound is fixed by a small mod. Cant speak to the v3's.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

From what I've been told that while the newer versions have less glitches and are decent in that respect they still have the old 3V3 vs 5V flash issue and are hence considered unsafe to use. Maybe worth considering on cheaper / more available consoles but I don't think I'd take the risk with my low-serial AES :/
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Well, now that they can hold all the original NG library, they are pretty good!

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads ... ist.27699/
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

No disrespect to the modder there, absolutely priced correctly for their time investment, if not a little low- but if you're spending that kind of money for a janky 3.3V bootleg cart seriously just get a NeoSD
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I mean, for $300 you can have every NG game on one cart with no SD cards to mess with, OR I guess spend $600 to have the same thing?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I have like 3 bought about 4 years ago
Believe they are the latest versions

Still have old rom sets on there
Metal Slug sometimes glitches I'd fall from the bottom of the platform and die lol
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

XtraSmiley wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:26 pm I mean, for $300 you can have every NG game on one cart with no SD cards to mess with, OR I guess spend $600 to have the same thing?
The same thing, except not damaging your expensive Neo Geo hardware.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I bit the bullet and bought one. It should be here next week where I can do some testing
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

bobrocks95 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:57 pm
XtraSmiley wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:26 pm I mean, for $300 you can have every NG game on one cart with no SD cards to mess with, OR I guess spend $600 to have the same thing?
The same thing, except not damaging your expensive Neo Geo hardware.
Since when is a $60 1-slot expensive NG hardware?

Which by the way has been playing the version 1 of the 161-in-1 for 10 years with no problem yet.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

An MV-1C, by far the most common consolized board, definitely isn't $60 anymore. And you're not factoring in the price of your Supergun, PSU, accessories, or anything else in that number. You can't just buy a $60 MVS board and hook it to a TV or scaler. Glad to hear yours hasn't fried though, 2 of mine certainly have.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

bobrocks95 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:15 am An MV-1C, by far the most common consolized board, definitely isn't $60 anymore. And you're not factoring in the price of your Supergun, PSU, accessories, or anything else in that number. You can't just buy a $60 MVS board and hook it to a TV or scaler. Glad to hear yours hasn't fried though, 2 of mine certainly have.
I've ran it for years on a cheap POS vogatek supergun without a hitch, i'm not saying it will never do anything but i've personally never seen or heard anyone with a fried board because of a 161-in-1. I've had a dead neo board and a fz1 with dead audio in the years before the 161-in-1 was released though. The boards are old, stuff happens.

Personally i'd rather take my chances with POS superguns than sending any money in the direction of terraonion. YMMV i guess.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

You don't need to buy a supergun at all if you have one of the Neo Geo boards that already have audio output and controller ports, and you already have a RGB to component converter for your other consoles.

At that point, you just need to get power to board and video out. Which you then feed to a RGB buffer board you can buy for $10 (or build for $1)
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

bobrocks95 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:15 am An MV-1C, by far the most common consolized board, definitely isn't $60 anymore. And you're not factoring in the price of your Supergun, PSU, accessories, or anything else in that number. You can't just buy a $60 MVS board and hook it to a TV or scaler. Glad to hear yours hasn't fried though, 2 of mine certainly have.
The chance of a 3v MVS cart damaging your SG is so remote, it's not anything to worry about. I run mine in a cabinet in any case, but that being said iIf you've really had 2 carts fry your... (SG? NG?) you have some other problem for sure. I mean, thousands, if not tens of thousands of the 161-in-1 have been sold and there are very few people complaining about voltage problems with them.

Also, Terra Onion products have been known to have issues, just do a quick search on them.

At the end of the day though, it's totally your call, I'm not making any money from either product and in fact I have pre-ordered BOTH, so I'm not in ANY position to tell anyone else how to spend their money!

Enjoy it however you can/want!

EDIT: After reading your post again, I realize you might have meant the 161 was fried and if that's the case, well yeah. They are made from recycled chips and put together rather poorly. The new ones I think are at lease using new(er?) chips, so in theory, might be more durable.

A cheap Chinese NG mobo is still available for under $80 often, although they are usually very used/dirty. Good mobo's can still be $300 though, I just paid that for a really nice 2-slot. I'll still run my new hacked 161 in it though, b/c I guess I just like to raw dog shit! :P
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

spmbx wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:18 pm sending any money in the direction of terraonion.
Certainly. Is the DarkSoft cart still available? I kinda checked out of the whole scene since all this stuff costs more than a MiSTer setup, but kinda low-key hoping that a cheaper flash cart or a decent x-in-1 comes along.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

It looks like Darksoft are taking an interest check on another forum for a new run of MVS carts.

To be fair I received my 161 in 1 yesterday and it’s been great. I have not seen any of the issues I used to get with the yellow one so I will probably just roll with this and keep 600 dollars.