Gaurodan

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mice

Gaurodan

Post by mice »

Game of the year, for sure. (I was about to say IMHO, but that's not the case here, it's IEHO)
http://www.locomalito.com/gaurodan.php
Fudoh

Re: Gaurodan

Post by Fudoh »

Wow,that's awesome. Locomalito has a quite impressive trackrecord already.
mice

Post by mice »

Now available on Ouya as well.
The ouya version is stretched to 16:9, but who cares. It's still goty2013. :wink:
It's smooth and shows that game maker can handle the Ouya perfectly. You hear that Rozyrg?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Maybe I'm missing the point of the game, but I can't stand playing it. Tell me what I'm missing.
mice

Post by mice »

Damocles wrote:Maybe I'm missing the point of the game, but I can't stand playing it. Tell me what I'm missing.
Why, what's wrong? :)

"Just one more go, I know I'll avoid you evil homing missiles this time." x 23
Good looking, nice sound and music, polished to hell.

Oh, and the boats, those niiiice looking boats. I just fly by them back and forth until the timer runs out. Just to look at them.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Locomalito's site wrote:Secret banana ending
Okay, now I'm curious.
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

It's an ok game, but game of the year? Nah.

I had one go and almost beat it on my first attempt, so I'm guessing there's not going to be much replay value - maybe with Survival Mode, though I doubt it.

The blurb compares it to Defender and Choplifter, but you don't actually protect or rescue anything; it's just pure destruction, so it's actually more like a shmup version of Rampage.

Nice Boss fight on Chapter V, at least.
mice

Post by mice »

DocHauser wrote:I had one go and almost beat it on my first attempt,...
Ah, the challenege for some could be a problem. I had a billion attempts to get pass stage 4, so I have tons of hours left in the game.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Ok, something's wrong. I just have to figure out whether it's me or my computer that is stupid.

When I start the game, I can't do anything. Pressing either of the fire buttons makes the egg jump, but I don't seem to be able to do anything else. It doesn't matter whether I press the fire buttons on my gamepad or on the keyboard. It's the only thing that will register. The directional buttons don't seem to do anything, even though the work just fine in the options menu.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Turned out the game hates my USB Saturn pad. If I unplug it, keyboard controls work absolutely fine. Strange, Locomalito's other games work flawlessly with the very same pad.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Weird. I can think of exactly two games that had problems with any of my USB gamepads/adapters: the PC Devil May Cry 3 would see the right stick as left and vice versa; also, PC Metal Gear Solid (old as...) refused to detect any controller at all (default keyboard setup worked surprisingly well, though). No freeware, doujin, home port etc. in recent times had such a problem.
Actually Dynasty Warriors 4: Hyper didn't have "real" analogue movement (8 directions only) when I gave it a try. No idea if it's any different on consoles.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

gamingjustin

Post by gamingjustin »

Cool game, I always like Locomalito's attention to detail. I was able to finish it on my third try and enjoyed it, but I wish it were balanced differently. If it was easier to die and earn lives based on score the whole game would feel a lot more dynamic; it would be a lot more replayable and give incentive to score and play well. But as it is, you just have one life bar that lasts the entire game and there is no reason to score unless you just like to see numbers go up. So my first two attempts were botched because I played a little sloppy at some point, so I was hanging onto 2-4 life bars for like 4 stages then finally lost it. I felt like time was just ticking down until I died instead of ever having a real chance again. Earning lives based on score would have helped avoid that feeling. It would be nice if the game looped also, and got slightly more difficult each time.

If this game had lives you could earn based on score and the game looped it would be much, much better. As it is, it's a fun game to experience once. Also, the game is much easier if you tap left and right rapidly to stay in place and get in close while shooting, especially against large enemies.
OdiousTrident

Post by OdiousTrident »

Is there another game that handles Choplifter-style gameplay this well? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
Pinehed

Post by Pinehed »

DocHauser wrote:
The blurb compares it to Defender and Choplifter, but you don't actually protect or rescue anything; it's just pure destruction, so it's actually more like a shmup version of Rampage.
My first impression - it's like a cross between Rampage and (Amiga game) Wings of Fury.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Herr Schatten wrote:...Turned out the game hates my USB Saturn pad. If I unplug it, keyboard controls work absolutely fine. Strange, Locomalito's other games work flawlessly with the very same pad.
Same issue for me. Tried a USB Buffalo Famicom style pad, and a USB to PSX adapter with pad.

Plug in the pad and there's no directional control from pad or keyboard. Disconnect the pad and keyboard (cursor keys) work again. I can't even work around this with joytokey.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

mine doesn't work either and the funny thing about it: the keybaord directional controls don't work either as long as the pad is connected. Fire buttons on both the pad and the keyboard work fine though.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Beat this thing today, the banana ending is disappointing.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

There's an exploration of Locomalito's game history at the bottom of this article about Maldita Castilla. Features plenty of screens of Gaurodon and some gameplay dissection as well.
http://8bithorse.blogspot.com/2013/02/m ... tilla.html
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

AMAZING game - played it at my brother's house on his Ouya. I'm strongly considering buying one if this doesn't come out on Mac.

Would love to see some console support - WiiU, X360, PS3, Vita - whateva.

Completely blown away by this game -
Loris Biaggi

Post by Loris Biaggi »

Just played it, it's a real masterpiece :shock:
----------- Neo Mini Box -----------
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Fantastic game, the attention to detail is simply stunning. :shock: The graphics, the color palette, the music, the cool muffled speech samples, and those cutscenes, just...damn!

If it weren't for the lack of a traditional lives/continue system and blatant quarter-thievery, it would be nigh indistinguishable from an 80's arcade game. I swear that's the exact font used in Tecmo's old games, too.
mice wrote:You hear that Rozyrg?
I had no idea this was made with GM:S, awesome! :mrgreen:
I've been playing games on the system too much to get any experimentation done, sadly (despite not being able to buy any of them yet.)
mice

Post by mice »

Rozyrg wrote:(despite not being able to buy any of them yet.)
I bought Sonic CD yesterday (first buy for me). It's not emulated, but build from the ground up by Christian Whitehead.
Awesome conversion!
Vetus

Post by Vetus »

New game from Locomalito? Count me in. He's one of my favourite and most talented indie games developers.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Got around 350 kills in survival mode just now. Feel like I could make it to 1,000, if I worked a little more at it.

I'll probably try anyway, but is there anything more to see? Or does the rank stay the same and nothing changes about the stage?
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Loris Biaggi wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:19 pm Just played it, it's a real masterpiece :shock:
This! What a cracking game.
MJR

Post by MJR »

So this is a good game then? I tried to watch the trailer for 3 seconds and got immediately turned off by the cinematics. Hint to indie devs, or any dev really: I dont give a damn a about your story or setting. I just want to see the gameplay.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

mice wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 pm Game of the year, for sure. (I was about to say IMHO, but that's not the case here, it's IEHO)
http://www.locomalito.com/gaurodan.php
So to the question:
"Helicopters or Dinosaurs?"
this time the answer is Dinosaurs :lol:
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

MJR wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am So this is a good game then? I tried to watch the trailer for 3 seconds and got immediately turned off by the cinematics. Hint to indie devs, or any dev really: I dont give a damn a about your story or setting. I just want to see the gameplay.
Yeah, it's really good. Think kind of Defender/Joust/Rampage/Choplifter sort of vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ej5wrYAHg