Touhou Makukasai FDF II / Perfect Sakura Fantastica

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
marus

Touhou Makukasai FDF II / Perfect Sakura Fantastica

Post by marus »

Rules:
  • Default Settings
  • No continues
  • For Fantastic Danmaku Festival II (aka the PC version), replay files are required. Restart Syndrome is a convenient place to upload your replays if you don't know where else to store them.
  • For Perfect Sakura Fantastica (aka the Arcade port), videos are optional but encouraged.
Video or image proof is encouraged but not required. If you have a video you'd like to share then I'll post it with your score.

Touhou Makukasai: Fantastic Danmaku Festival Part II
Format: mode - score - name - character - stage - replay

Easy Mode
RankScoreNameCharacterStageReplay

Normal Mode

Hard Mode

Lunatic Mode

Extra Mode
110,502,238,700marus-MPOReimuALLreplay / video

Phantasm Mode
110,368,942,310marus-MPOYoumuALLreplay / video

Touhou Dengenkei: Perfect Sakura Fantastica
Format: mode - score - name - character - stage - replay

Kids Mode
RankScoreNameCharacterStageImage/Video

Normal Mode
19,184,641,630KOAReimuALLimage

Hard Mode

Lunatic Mode

Extra Mode
17,662,361,380marus-MPOReimuALLimage

Phantasm Mode

Video Indexs
Moved to Restart Syndrome. Use toggles to switch between difficulty modes:
Fantastic Danmaku Festival II Video Index
Perfect Sakura Fantastica Video Index

Other Resources
English Manual and scoring system (scroll down to "Manual" and expand the "Show manual translation" button)
STG Hall of Records - Touhou Dengenkei Perfect Sakura Fantastica
Last edited by marus on Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 am, edited 35 times in total.
marus

Re: Touhou Makukasai FDF II / Perfect Sakura Fantastica

Post by marus »

I figured I might as well make a thread for this game instead of spamming the Youtube thread.

Touhou Makukasai Fantastic Danmaku Festival II
Extra Mode - 9,006,315,800 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - replay
Twitch Archive

I finally broke 9 billion points (just barely)! This was my goal for a few months so I'm glad to have pulled it off. That said, this run still had some big mistakes so I still want to shoot for higher. 9.3 billion is doable with my routes. Even 9.4 billion might be possible, but it would require a really good stage portion which is slightly RNG dependent.

In other news, there's been quite some activity for this game recently:
  • LYX just yesterday got an PC Extra Mode score of 9,423,400,930, using Youmu (Twitter link)! Afaik this is a new WR for Extra mode. I'll post the video here if/when he decides to upload the run.
  • LYX also recently got a PC Phantasm Mode score of 10,495,220,550 with Youmu!. This is a new WR for Phantasm mode, and it's on Youtube! (Youtube link - run starts at 57:00 minutes)
  • DASI recently got an Arcade Extra Mode score of 8,844,005,630, using Youmu (Twitter link)! This is a new Youmu WR for the arcade version, and also barely a new overall WR, beating the previous score of 8,834,095,930 done with Reimu (also performed by DASI).
I also ran into this weird bug, which caused some bullet patterns during the Yukari fight to mess out. The bullets stopped spawning but I was still able to graze them :shock:
It might just be some one-off bug or something with my PC (I've ran into a couple other weird ones). On the other hand if there's a way to consistently perform it then it would be really useful for scoring!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1862376496
marus

Post by marus »

Extra Mode - 9,197,675,880 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - replay
Twitch Archive

I got another PB today! This was almost 9.4 billion, but I choked at the very end and got hit once, ugh. I'm getting closer to getting a no-miss run though!

Also, LYX just got a score of 9.67 billion (twitter link)! Apparently this was with 4 bombs+misses too, if I'm reading the post correctly :shock:
It'll be crazy to see what kind of score he'd get with no major mistakes.
marus

Post by marus »

No new score update from me, but LYX recently posted an absolutely insane 10.5 billion point run for Extra mode! This blows any score I've previously seen out of the water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L39RwKCKiLI

I'm going to have to practice some of the new strats from this for a bit in order to catch up, haha
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Perfect Sakura Fantastica
Normal Mode - 9,184,641,630 - KOA - Reimu - ALL - image

Got this during a convention back in January.
marus

Post by marus »

Nice! Updated.
marus

Post by marus »

Perfect Sakura Fantastica
Extra Mode - 6,408,995,890 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - image

The Round1 near me got an Exa cab, so I got to play the Exa version for a few credits today! It was neat to try out after having played the Steam version a bunch now. In terms of gameplay differences, I couldn't notice any outside of what we already know about you receiving fewer resources. That said I didn't play a ton, and obviously I couldn't do any side-by-side comparisons. Strangely I also felt like the cab had more input lag than my home setup. This was weird because I also played some Saidaioujou Exa Label (which was the main reason I went), and that felt great! My only frame of reference for SDOJ is the laggy Xbox 360 port though, so that could be skewing my perception. It's hard to say if the lag was the game itself, the hardware, or just placebo from playing on a different setup than I'm used to (the stick was also much looser than what I was used to, which might have thrown off my perception).

Anyways it's cool that I have this in my area now. Outside of hanging out with other shmuppers though I probably won't play it too much since it's pretty out of the way for me, and honestly I like my home setup better, haha.
marus

Post by marus »

Extra Mode - 9,264,843,380 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - replay
Youtube video

I've been working on some real-life projects so I haven't had as much energy to grind or stream lately, but I played a few offline runs today and managed to get a new PB! I more or less pulled off all of my new strats, but then I died twice on the "Outer God: Prison of Nyarlathotep", which tanked my MaxPoint and end-of-game bonus. Had I not died there this would have been really close to 10 billion! Aside from that, the stage portion wasn't particularly strong, but there's a lot of RNG involved there so I'm not going to get too picky about that.

I'd still like to get a strong no-miss score with these routes before moving onto another game. 10 billion should be doable with a good run!
marus

Post by marus »

No new score, but I just had my best stage split today. My new routes are riskier meaning I get less runs, but I'm getting the hang of squeezing out as much graze as possible.
marus

Post by marus »

Extra Mode - 9,357,389,260 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - replay
Youtube video

I unexpectedly got another small PB yesterday. I had a really good stage, but then had some dumb hits during the Yukari fight. I'm still shooting for 10 billion!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Nice one! GG!

On another note, ZZZ has opened a Youtube channel and uploaded all of his WRs in Hard mode for the arcade version: https://www.youtube.com/@zzzzzz9675

Looks like he will upload more in the near future!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
marus

Post by marus »

Oh awesome, thanks for sharing that! I updated the main post with ZZZ's vids. It's cool to see this game getting so much activity recently!
marus

Post by marus »

DASI uploaded a new arcade version Extra mode WR today! I think this is the first high level video of the arcade version of this mode.

Perfect Sakura Fantastica - Extra - Youmu - 9,102,289,770 by DASI
Last edited by marus on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marus

Post by marus »

Extra Mode - 9,494,280,010 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - replay
Youtube

Happy New Year (almost)! I ended up taking a long break for some traveling, but I've been grinding this game again offline this week and managed to get a new PB! I wasn't expecting to PB again so soon. Although it's still not 10 billion, I'm happy to get one more score in before the New Year!

Also I didn't post this earlier, but during my traveling I managed to get this score at A-Cho lol:

Touhou Perfect Sakura Fantastica
Extra Mode - 7,662,361,380 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - image
marus

Post by marus »

Extra Mode - 10,502,238,700 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - replay
Youtube

FUCK YES! After having not much success streaming earlier in the day, I decided to play some more runs offline before going to bed and I finally managed to hit my goal! This was about as good of a run as I could have asked for - good RNG on the stage, no borders dropped, no misses, and all of my strats pulled off. There's still some small optimizations that I messed up which barely cost me the overall WR, but this is the happiest I've been with a run in a long time. I finally feel ready to move on from grinding this game, at least for now - I would like to work on Phantasm mode at some point, and/or perhaps pick up Youmu.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

That's a big score. :shock:

Absolutely fantastic work, GG! It was lots of fun to follow your progress on this one, can't wait to watch the replay now. :D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
marus

Post by marus »

Thanks! I really appreciate your encouragement - it helps when you know other people are rooting for you, haha. Since I don't think I'll be improving this for a while, I'll add some Jaimers-style commentary (probably tomorrow) that go over some of the scoring optimizations and areas for improvement.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

marus wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:16 am Touhou Makukasai Fantastic Danmaku Festival II
Extra Mode - 10,502,238,700 - marus-MPO - Reimu - ALL - replay
Youtube
Great job! I can't believe I caught the stream right before you finally made the 10b breakthrough. Good luck charm? :P

Congrats on reaching your goal, I'm glad all the grinding paid off.
marus

Post by marus »

Yeah thanks for hopping on stream! It's too bad I didn't pull this off online. In general I definitely feel less self-conscious when playing offline though - it's something I hope to work on, haha.

Also I updated my video with scoring commentary, for anyone interested.
marus

Post by marus »

No new score update from me, but I replaced the video index with links to Restart Syndrome. That way I don't have to update links in multiple places, and other people can add videos as well. I just started practicing Phantasm mode, so hopefully I'll have some new score submissions in the near future!

Aside from that, JAP has been uploading a lot of Phantasm replays recently. Yesterday he posted a Sanae score of 9.76 billion on PC, which is a new WR for that character! He also just got a score of 9.93 billion with Youmu on PC - he's super close to being the 3rd person to break the 10 billion mark!

Also there's no accompanying video, but DASI got a new Extra Mode score with Reimu on arcade of 9.08 billion. This is a new Reimu WR for arcade! Right now he's probably the only person with the potential to break 10 billion on the arcade version, which is much harder to do than on PC thanks to the lower end-of-game bonus you get. I'm not sure if he's shooting that high but it should be theoretically possible with a NMNB run, so we'll see what happens!

EDIT: I'm continuing to practice Phantasm mode, using Youmu. On a good run I can match and sometimes beat LYX's WR run for the first half of the stage. That said I still need to learn... literally everything after that lol. But I'm excited that I'm making progress already!

marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 6,403,896,120 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Twitch

I started practicing the boss fight a bit today, and decided to try a full run. I got a WR-pace stage portion, but as expected I'm still not ready for the boss lol. I'm continuing to improve though! I'm hoping with more practice and some luck I may be able to beat LYX's score, or at least break 10 billion.
Last edited by marus on Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 8,494,412,590 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Twitch

I got a PB today while practicing. I more or less have a general idea of the route now, but I still need to figure out the specifics and work on my consistency. Unfortunately there isn't really a way to practice the boss non-spells without just playing the whole game. But on the plus side this means I'll have a decent benchmark score to compare against once I start doing real full runs!
marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 9,249,563,940 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Twitch

I broke 9 billion today! At this point I've exhausted all of the easy score optimizations, so I'll need to practice more before I start grinding for real. I think I have a shot at the WR, but my consistency on all of the boss patterns is still kind of low so I need to improve that first. I can also be grazing better on Yukari's midboss spellcard and the border that comes right after, but I haven't quite figured that out yet.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I caught a bit of your streams yesterday, so good luck! You'll surely make the high 9bills soon, it will be that last bit that will be drive you crazy :wink:
marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 9,620,793,600 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Youtube

I don't have time to make the video right now, but I got a small PB offline today. The biggest mistake was that Suika ran into me right at the end of the "Heavy Hammer from Hell" spellcard. That cost me a large border bonus and 190,000 in point item value. This probably would have been 10 billion if not for that lol.

EDIT: Added video
marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 9,874,732,160 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Twitch

I got another small PB this morning. I had a really good stage, but then I messed up Suika's 2nd spellcard hard. First I didn't get activate the border, and then I died right after lol. After rewatching the run, I think this would have been WR if not for that one mistake. I missed a couple other borders as well, but they were all low value ones, and I was so far ahead in the stage that that would have made up for it. Oh well, such is life.

My consistency on the stage portion has gotten a lot better now. I get way more runs to the boss than I did back when I was grinding Extra mode. At this point it's just a matter of time until I get lucky and manage to string everything together (although that may still take a while).
marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 9,907,220,290 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Twitch

I got another small PB today. I'm getting real close to 10 billion now! This run had a pretty mid stage, and I dropped a border on Suika's sp2 again. I also dropped a border on sp5, although that one is pretty RNG dependent. I probably could have at least capped the spellcard, but I really wanted to try and save the border. I should practice that one some more and work on recognizing when I can keep the border alive and when I should bail. Aside from those mistakes though the back half of the fight went well.

Next stop: 10 billion (hopefully)!
marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 9,930,893,060 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Twitch

It's not 10 billion, but I got another small PB today. I messed up Suika's sp2 again, got the bad RNG on sp5 (although at least I capped the spellcard this time), and unfortunately dropped a border on Suika's last spellcard, "Land of Shackles in Onigashima". Dropping the border on Suika's last spellcard messed up my border timing for Yukari's final spellcard too, resulting in me only getting a level 2 border. In retrospect I think if I stalled out Suika's last spell I could have at least set myself up for a level 3 border, which would have gotten me an extra 100 million points and put me over the 10 billion mark. I'll have to pocket that knowledge if I ever get in that situation again in the future.
marus

Post by marus »

Phantasm Mode - 10,368,942,310 - marus-MPO - Youmu - ALL - replay
Youtube

Woohoo, I broke 10 billion! Now I'm just a little over 100 million off from beating LYX's score now for the WR!

In order of importance, the main areas for improvement are:
  • I had a pretty bad stage split. Unfortunately this is mostly due to enemy spawn RNG (you need enemies to spawn grouped up in order to maximize your graze), although I also could have grazed a little better during Yukari's spellcard as well. There's a potential 200-300 million points from this alone.
  • I didn't get the level 3 border during Suika's sp4. Again this is also based on RNG, although I think in this run I might've actually been able to get it. You need to stay close to Suika in order to graze enough to keep your border alive, but there's not a lot of room to move so if a rock randomly spawns where you need to be then you're just screwed. I might've been able to pull it off in this run but I didn't want to risk getting hit so I just bailed out. This would've been another 80-100 million points.
  • I accidentally finished Suika's sp2 a little early, costing some graze and a slightly lower border bonus. It's not a huge miss but I lost probably around 20 million points?
  • Other small misc mistakes - I could've grazed better during Suika's sp7, I started the border in Suika's non8 a little late, I ended Suika's final spellcard a little early, and I started the border on Yukari's final spellcard late. Each of these is about a 10 million point loss.
So yeah I got kinda screwed by RNG in this run lol. The 1st half of the stage and Suika's sp4 are the main spots of RNG in this mode, and unfortunately I didn't get good RNG this time. On the other hand though, that also means that I just need to do this same run again but with better RNG! And thankfully the RNG isn't that bad - I just got really unlucky on this run. Even with the RNG requirements my consistency on the stage portion is much better than when I was playing Extra mode. So this last stretch will be the hardest part, but I'm confident if I keep at it I'll get it eventually.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Congrats on the 10b! I'm starting to get tempted to play more Phantasm... was never a big fan of the boss (I wanted Yukari) but the fact that this seems to be the Extra stage of choice for score players is tempting me.

Is there any world in which 11b is possible with good RNG and execution, or is the goal closer to 10.6-10.7b?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS