Which PS4 model to feed 1440P Vewlix cab?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
K-2

Which PS4 model to feed 1440P Vewlix cab?

Post by K-2 »

This is kind of a dumb question maybe... Here goes:

I have a Vewlix with an upgraded 1440p monitor that for now is a dedicated M2 Shottriggers machine. I have a PS4 slim installed in the cabinet to run the games. I also have a PS4 Pro that gathers dust in the tv stand since buying a PS5.

A buddy of mine works with criminal youth and would like to buy a PS4 off of me for the inmates to play -which model should I sell?

The slim would be the obvious answer, but it's installed, and kitted out in the Vewlix and the form factor is nice. Am I being shortsighted here selling him the Pro? As far as I know none of the shmups really take advantage of any 1440p HDR perks the Pro could provide. Am I mistaken in that?

Which would you sell?

Pro is white, Slim is black lol
Konsolkongen

Re: Which PS4 model to feed 1440P Vewlix cab?

Post by Konsolkongen »

The PS4 Pro does not support 1440p as output resolution as far as I know. It didn’t when I had one anyway.
So your PC monitor would have to support 4K resolution.

Most M2 shot trigger releases support 4K resolution. Meaning that you can get a larger integer scaled image compared to 1080p on a regular PS4.

How that would look downscaled on a 1440p screen is entirely up to the screen. But that would be the potential benefit for you if you kept the Pro.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I think probably take a bit to set up a makeshift way to hook the Pro up, and check for yourself to see if it's worth it or not. Probably won't be much of a difference though.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

My understanding is that the PS4 (pro or otherwise) doesn't support 1440p output.

The PS5 on the other hand does support outputting at 1440P, although that option didn't get added until a firmware update quite some time after launch.