Sony FD Trinitron Wega KD-36XS955 4:3 Super Fine Pitch HD CRT

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BazookaBen

Re: Sony FD Trinitron Wega KD-36XS955 4:3 Super Fine Pitch HD CRT

Post by BazookaBen »

I wonder if the bypass circuitry could rigged up somehow on TVs that don't normally have it
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

BazookaBen wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:29 pm I wonder if the bypass circuitry could rigged up somehow on TVs that don't normally have it
Check the info incrediblehark posted, looks like just one IC and 3 caps are missing when HDPT working and HDPT non working boards on a 40XBR800 are compared. Probably similar missing components for all Sony HDCRTs with non-working HDPT.

viewtopic.php?p=1544959&hilit=Dump#p1483751
incrediblehark wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:58 am Its been a while, but I figured I'd post an update:

I finally was able to locate a replacement B board for my 40XBR800, and install it today. 540p mode now works as intended, and looks amazing! I have no real way of testing input lag, but I will say the picture looks sharper and overall better. I still have not had success with lightgun games - at least Sega Saturn and PS2. Haven't tried Duck Hunt yet. Josh if you are reading this did you ever get any more testing done? Any settings on the 5x and/or Service menu I should double check?

As for the B board: When comparing the two, there really is only an IC and 3 capacitors missing from my original. I attached a picture below comparing the two (new B board on top):
Spoiler
The AVSForums did mention an IC being on the corrected B Boards, I just did not realize that was the only difference. The IC (labelled on board as IC3414) is a Mitsubishi M52055FP and the 3 Capacitors look to be 10uf 16v if I read them correctly. That should be all it takes to get the HDPT bypass working on older B boards for the 40XBR800, though in the AVS Forums thread it mentions Sony telling its techs to not attempt servicing the original boards. Just thought I'd leave this info for future reference, I'm happy to have 540p on my set now!
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

More info on the M52055FP IC. Seems pretty standard. If populating this and 3 caps is all it takes, well that would be pretty spiffy. Theres availability on Ebay right now.
M52055FP Product details
Description

The M52055 is semiconductor integrated circuit for electronic switches used in VCR, AUDIO signal processing applications. It contains three channel two input switch circuits with each switch is controlled independently.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

This is great. I have a 32" Sony HDCRT that I've already enabled the bypass on. So you're using a RT5X to upscale everything to 540p then?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

You had to repopulate the IC and caps on the board, or you just enabled in the service menu and it worked?

540p can be obtained in a variety of ways, depending on your needs. Ive gotten it working fine with a GC running Swiss with 540p output selected, a MiSTer with a 540p modeline, and of course the RT5X. I understand the OSSC Pro has it as a choosable output as well.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Another easy way to test 540p is just to make a custom resolution from a PC to a component converter.

I think even the older graphics cards with component output can do 540p
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Josh128 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:53 pm You had to repopulate the IC and caps on the board, or you just enabled in the service menu and it worked?

540p can be obtained in a variety of ways, depending on your needs. Ive gotten it working fine with a GC running Swiss with 540p output selected, a MiSTer with a 540p modeline, and of course the RT5X. I understand the OSSC Pro has it as a choosable output as well.
I was able to enable it in the service menu and it worked. I haven't messed with it for awhile, but I was using a Raspberry Pi as a source. I made some 540p modelines and was running RetroArch on it.

The GameCube output sounds great though as that's an easy way (for me) to run 240p Test Suite.

Another easy way to test 540p is just to make a custom resolution from a PC to a component converter.

I think even the older graphics cards with component output can do 540p
Yeah, I did do some output from my laptop to the HDCRT when I was testing it, but I remember it just being more straightforward to use the Pi.

Honestly, I'm fairly certain it was properly enabled with the service menu because I distinctly remember there being a huge difference (only for 540p content) with it on or off, but it was like 5 years ago I last actually messed with it, so I should probably see what's up again and make sure it's still working as expected.

I remember having to tweak some of the settings because it wasn't working at first.

This was before I turned on the passthrough:
Spoiler
and this was after I got it "right":
Spoiler
You can pretty clearly see the first one has scaling artifacts, but PX3 in the second shot has the visible scanlines. It didn't have the visible scanlines until after I turned it on.

IIRC, there is actually a pretty clear line between the sets that have the components and the ones that don't (chronologically). My set was a pretty early run of them, first batch of the second gen HiScans. The first gen all had the components (and I believe they actually had the setting in the user menu?)

Sorry, again, it's been a long time, but I'm like 99% sure I got it working right in the end, and I was even messing around with differenet video output modes and shifting the image around on the screen by chaning the blanking periods, etc.

I do want to mess around with it again, but I'm in a pretty small apt right now, and it's in storage, so this is more of a "will do it in a couple years when I have the space" thing
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

vol.2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:49 pm (and I believe they actually had the setting in the user menu?)
That would be really interesting, if you're talking about HDPT. Wonder would Sony would even call it and what it's purpose for the average consumer would be.

I know when people discovered the service menu setting on AVSForum ~18 years ago, the main purpose was to get lower input lag for their Xbox 360's and PS3's
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BazookaBen wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm That would be really interesting, if you're talking about HDPT. Wonder would Sony would even call it and what it's purpose for the average consumer would be.

I know when people discovered the service menu setting on AVSForum ~18 years ago, the main purpose was to get lower input lag for their Xbox 360s and PS3s
This is what I'm remembering from those AVS posts from that time. The earliest HDCRTs from Sony actually had the option to turn it off. I read *all* of those posts whatever it is, like 5 years ago now, but I don't remember all the details perfectly.

There's waaaay too much for me to comb through right now, but this is ground zero:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/signal ... 741/page-6

&

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/comput ... st-3303225

Skimming a few threads, I'm not longer positive that it's a specific setting in the menu, but rather it might have been that it turns it off in particular "modes" when enabled. The Cinemotion setting for example would turn it on because it uses 3:2 pulldown. Also, I seem to remember there being a difference between the 900 series TVs and the 800 series TVs, even from the outset.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

vol.2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:49 pm
Sorry, again, it's been a long time, but I'm like 99% sure I got it working right in the end, and I was even messing around with differenet video output modes and shifting the image around on the screen by chaning the blanking periods, etc.

I do want to mess around with it again, but I'm in a pretty small apt right now, and it's in storage, so this is more of a "will do it in a couple years when I have the space" thing
Its very easy to tell if it works or not, because if it has the working circuitry, when you toggle the HDPT option, the screen will jump and you can see that it switches back and forth from interlaced to progressive. See video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtxv7Ztwy8
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Josh128 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 pm Its very easy to tell if it works or not, because if it has the working circuitry, when you toggle the HDPT option, the screen will jump and you can see that it switches back and forth from interlaced to progressive. See video below:
Thanks, I'll check the next time I have a chance, but I seem to remember something like that. There was an obvious change. It's just been so long (5 years), and I've forgotten exactly the moment I did it.