RQ: Ketsui level 3 boss

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
aaronlg

RQ: Ketsui level 3 boss

Post by aaronlg »

Hey, I'm trying to eventually 1CC Ketsui. Right now I'm just going through each section of the game, learning how to beat it without dying or bombing. I'm using Tiger, and the first part I don't really "get" is the Stage 3 boss.

Specifically, the Stage 3 boss has one phase where he shoots volleys of four curved horizontal walls, each with a gap in it. The problem is, I'm getting way too many impossible gap configurations where even if I drop the lock, my ship is just too slow to reach one or more of the gaps. I have no choice but to bomb or intentionally fly through a wall and hope I get lucky. Is there a trick to manipulate the boss into giving me more favorable formations, or some specific way I'm supposed to position myself so I don't get trapped? Thanks!
EmperorIng

Re: RQ: Ketsui level 3 boss

Post by EmperorIng »

If this is the attack I think you are describing, it sounds to me like you are just positioning yourself unintelligently. You might need to break the lock for the extra speed (Tiger is very slow), but you should think that if the blue walls the boss are shooting are trying to box you in, you should start on one side of the screen and slowly move to the other so that they aren't spreading out everywhere and blocking your escape options. Additionally you can destroy one of the boss's wings which will halve the attack's offensive power.

For the boss final, keep in mind that the final attack has a safe spot partially up the screen around the middle, as opposed to the logical spot of hiding on the bottom.
aaronlg

Post by aaronlg »

Thanks. Yeah, that's the attack. After practicing a while and watching my replays, I kind of figured out what was happening. My initial positioning was fine, but I didn't consciously notice the walls have two gaps each. The first time he launches the walls, it seems like you HAVE to zig zag into the awkward gap on the second wall, because if you take the easy one then it just blocks you from reaching either gap in the third wall.

The second time he launches the walls, I'm realizing I just have to commit to dealing damage and forcing him to bullet cancel into Phase 3. Even with one of the nacelles gone, it's just too damn hard to dodge that second volley of walls. I'm mostly just struggling with mental overload at this point, since all three of his phases are pretty relentlessly tough to track.

Are you saying there's a safe spot when he launches the balls in Phase 3? Everyone I've seen on YouTube seems to weave through the attack, ignoring the red balls and hugging one of the lines of blue balls. That's what I've been doing, too, except that I'm still pretty bad at it.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Hugging the blue balls is the best way, yes.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.