Gamecube vs Wii component output

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Gamecube vs Wii component output

Post by vol.2 »

Alf wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:21 am Also, the Wii would run GC and Wii games natively which is a big plus AND you can hook up either a WiiU Pro pad directly or even an Xone pad over 2 converters.
Honestly, I would probably just use the Wii for Wii and GC, and then find a different solution for the other stuff. Retroarch setup does have a somewhat steep learning curve, but it's extremely easy once you get past figuring out where the settings are and how to save things per core and per game. You can also save the setup files and reuse them if you have to make any changes

If you don't want to use your PC, I would still recommend a Raspberry Pi solution over the Wii for other stuff because a 4 works great and you can get various 24 bit interfaces out there; the RT Ultimate was also open-sourced by Mike, so you can easily have one built by PCBWay or JLC.

You can compile Retroarch inside of Raspberry Pi OS and run it from the command line

At the end of the day, you're going to have to either setup Swiss or setup Retroarch on something, and IMHO, RA is the more powerful solution both in terms of device agnosticism and video output options
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

vol.2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:24 pm
Alf wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:21 am Also, the Wii would run GC and Wii games natively which is a big plus AND you can hook up either a WiiU Pro pad directly or even an Xone pad over 2 converters.
Honestly, I would probably just use the Wii for Wii and GC, and then find a different solution for the other stuff. Retroarch setup does have a somewhat steep learning curve, but it's extremely easy once you get past figuring out where the settings are and how to save things per core and per game. You can also save the setup files and reuse them if you have to make any changes

If you don't want to use your PC, I would still recommend a Raspberry Pi solution over the Wii for other stuff because a 4 works great and you can get various 24 bit interfaces out there; the RT Ultimate was also open-sourced by Mike, so you can easily have one built by PCBWay or JLC.

You can compile Retroarch inside of Raspberry Pi OS and run it from the command line

At the end of the day, you're going to have to either setup Swiss or setup Retroarch on something, and IMHO, RA is the more powerful solution both in terms of device agnosticism and video output options

Do you know of other 24bit GPIO hats aside from the lo-tech and the RT Ultimate?

I’ve seen this on AliEx, no idea if it would be compatible, though. Probably? No idea if the GPIO pinout is compatible…

https://aliexpress.com/i/10050028767248 ... pt=glo2nld

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

kitty666cats wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:05 pm
Do you know of other 24bit GPIO hats aside from the lo-tech and the RT Ultimate?

I’ve seen this on AliEx, no idea if it would be compatible, though. Probably? No idea if the GPIO pinout is compatible…
I haven't done a recent poll of them, no. The lotech model was all discrete components IIRC, so it's not ideal. It's a lot harder to get the color values right with discrete components in 24 bit, which is why Mike went with an IC solution.

If I was going to do another 24 bit Pi hat, I'd send the Mike's gerbers to PCBWay and be done with it. They are still linked on his blog and it should be similar in cost to ordering one from somewhere else

The aliexpress part you linked appears to be a Mister thing, as it's connected to a generic looking DE0-Nano in the pictures. I don't use Mister, but I think based on the images that the pinout is different from the Pi. The power and ground rails are at least not consistent based on the photos