Composite mod Sony TV-511 portable B+W TV?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheRetroCarrot

Composite mod Sony TV-511 portable B+W TV?

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

Anybody ever mod one of these funny portable Sony's with rotating screens? Model number is TV-511, I've had one sitting on my work bench forever I play SNES with, but I get a lot of audio interference on RF. Watched a couple videos on adding composite to other portable sets and got me thinking. I did find a schematic for the for the TV-511E, which I believe is similar just 220. If anybody a bit more knowledgeable than myself has the time to take a peak at the schematic and give me some ideas for where/how to experiment injecting composite into this set I'd greatly appreciate it! I don't need to retain the RF functionality at all, it won't ever be utilized if I can make this work.

https://ia804506.us.archive.org/7/items ... ONY_EN.pdf

Picture of why they're coollll: https://imgur.com/a/hkaEoPC
TheRetroCarrot

Re: Composite mod Sony TV-511 portable B+W TV?

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

So this is what I came up with if anyone's interested. I'll post the results after I play around with it, in the meantime if anyone sees something I should take note of let me know.

TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

So I did this, video looks great, no complaints. Going straight to the volume POT with capacitor and 75ohm resistor did not however work for the audio, so I'll have to revisit that, all I got was buzz. I may have more issues to do with audio but we'll see once I at least get something playing, this TV had a lot of buzz previously I just attributed to RF.

Edit: Just had a small wiring fault. Audio works fine just jumping in on leg 3 of the pot and disconnecting the existing input, tiny bit of buzz but I believe that's just the spare snes I've been using, doesn't sound like a ground loop anymore. Only issue with this is I seem to have lost a fair amount of volume.

TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

All done, seems to work good just connected on R217 with a 47uf cap and 75ohm termination resistor. Shorted R212. For audio tapped into leg 3 of the POT with a 22uf cap since it's all I had kicking around. Did not put a resistor on the audio input, a termination resistor on this is where all my volume went previously.

Still have a tiny bit of audio buzz, but it might just be my crappy unshielded composite cables from my SNES I was testing with. It's quite minor and a million times better than it was on RF. I was trying to find CF201 on the board to play with as well but it's nowhere to be seen so I gave up on that. Overall I'm pretty pleased it works at all given my lack of knowledge.

Final edit: Audio was just crappy unshielded cables, OEM cables are dead quiet. Calling this project doneee.
Final final edit of my blog: I removed C222 to disable L209 as well, cleaned up the image a bit. Very much optional, but worthwhile.