The SHMUP music sharing game.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: The SHMUP music sharing game.

Post by BIL »

A-JAX and Flak Attack, two of Konami's lesser-knowns sporting some of the most singularly Konamic BGMs ever.

>FIGHTING SPIRIT from A-JAX
>COUNTER BLOW from Flak Attack - hey, kid, stop all the Dick Stock!
>STURDY WINGS from Trigon - a marginally better known STG with similarly blazing tunes, beloved of Hitoshi Sakimoto, feat. Michiru Yamane. Three is a magic number!

Having tracked down the link, I see I already posted COUNTER BLOW on the previous page! But the link's dead, and frankly, one good blow deserves another. Image The reedy tone actually reminds me more of Taito, but there's absolutely none of their haunting introspection - just balls-out do your best your have ever done Image

I recommend A-JAX; the 3D stages are a bit goofy, but easily cleared, brief, and infrequent. The straight topdowns are remarkably furied Xeviousesques, and it sports the rare advantage of a single balls-hard loop.

Flak Attack, I really want to love, but good lord - the bullet visibility can be absolutely punishing, and worse, there is a lightning bolt memoriser hazard that may be the most cynical in all of STG history. :lol: Even then, it's solid enough I could see myself working through it. At any rate, first-rate BGM from a largely forgotten game.
Last edited by BIL on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

Woah, thanks for keeping this thread alive. I'm sorry I'm not able to keep on updating the playlist though.

Back on topic:
>STURDY WINGS from Trigon - a marginally better known STG with similarly blazing tunes, beloved of Hitoshi Sakimoto, feat. Michiru Yamane. Three is a magic number!
I really liked this one, I've noticed that game is part of the Arcade Archives releases as "Lightning Fighters", I might buy it just out of curiosity. Thanks!
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
BIL

Post by BIL »

d3vak wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:22 am
I really liked this one, I've noticed that game is part of the Arcade Archives releases as "Lightning Fighters", I might buy it just out of curiosity. Thanks!
My pleasure! It's a quality Toaplanesque, imo, though undeniably a bit on the punishing side. Nearer hardass Raiden than cheerful Daioh. Interestingly, the ACA version has a hitbox reduce option, effectively a comfier arrange mode (it's also an excellent way to see more of the game before taking on the PCB defaults).

With Daioh's director personally requesting (and receiving!) a Rank meter for its ACA release, I wonder if this was a similar case. On defaults, it's the kind of game where you need to pre-emptively sweep enemies, their shots being quick enough to clip your wing if you dodge from a standstill at middle distance or closer.

Regardless, the BGM is exceptionally fiery and driven, even by Konami's valorous standards - I was so happy to see it finally get a home release, having enjoyed its Shooting Battle arrangements for decades. On that AST tip, "Faraway" flat-out rips off Richie Blackmore's solo from Rainbow's "Starstruck." :lol: Exceptionally good taste, as expected of project lead and Anthem legend Naoto Shibata!

>Starstruck
>Lightningstruck :cool:

Plus one of the all-time great AST hair metal ballads in "Nostalgic" Image Image
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I'm having trouble understanding the "game" part, but if the point of this thread is to share shump music

Radirgy 2 - super present 4096

(Five-track remix CD that came with the Radirgy 2 SE)