Gaming channels im not too big of.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sima Tuna

Re: Gaming channels im not too big of.

Post by Sima Tuna »

I really don't have a problem with a youtuber blatantly promoting piracy or emulation, except for the "monetized" part. I mean, they're making money off this very content, and yet taking the money someone else would make for creating "thing." So I guess that's the only part where I'd take issue. With a fan channel though, fuck it. Most arcade genres are kept alive at this point SOLELY by interest that arose from people emulating games. The hype generated by those people playing the pirated games can then be exploited by developers and publishers who want to bring back those franchises, make new games and sell them for cash. Especially with the way the "nu-retro" developers mercilessly exploit collectors with overpriced Limited Editions and cater explicitly to scalpers, I really can't bring myself to care too much about the ebil pirates (who are also the only ones bothering to actually fucking play those old games.)

I mean, there are a couple people on this very forum, I know, who have access to PCBs and working cabinets, but the rest of us can only play arcade genres on (hopefully not laggy) collections or via piracy. Without piracy, all this shit would be deader than it is.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I fucking hate Metal Jesus and his aspergofuck buddies. I would take exquisite pleasure in driving a car over all of them more times than is necessary to achieve total annihilation.
I find that Jim guy Kidshroyuken who sometimes does videos with that obnoxious, fat, American travesty TKO Sam really fucking boring in a way that almost redefines the word.
Adam Koralick can dig up his mother and fuck her face on Patreon. He keeps mentioning his dead mother to generate sympathy bucks from losers with too much money.
Pat The NES Punk is someone I'd love to watch die.
I like Mark MSX, but his lag fascism gets really fucking old. I'm OK with 4 frames, but if it's a 5 frame game then I'm still OK with a little floatyness and it's not going to destroy the game for me. I'm not a bad person.

I hate Only In Japan (qualifies because he did a Japanese arcade video once) with every fibre of my being. His wife is called Kanae pronounced Can Eye. I asked him Kanae fuck your wife, in an AMA and he choked laughing. So I've gotta respect that.

I watch all these cunts. Wtf is wrong with me :oops:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

AGermanArtist wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:41 pm I fucking hate Metal Jesus and his aspergofuck buddies. I would take exquisite pleasure in driving a car over all of them more times than is necessary to achieve total annihilation.
I find that Jim guy Kidshroyuken who sometimes does videos with that obnoxious, fat, American travesty TKO Sam really fucking boring in a way that almost redefines the word.
Adam Koralick can dig up his mother and fuck her face on Patreon. He keeps mentioning his dead mother to generate sympathy bucks from losers with too much money.
Pat The NES Punk is someone I'd love to watch die.
I like Mark MSX, but his lag fascism gets really fucking old. I'm OK with 4 frames, but if it's a 5 frame game then I'm still OK with a little floatyness and it's not going to destroy the game for me. I'm not a bad person.

I hate Only In Japan (qualifies because he did a Japanese arcade video once) with every fibre of my being. His wife is called Kanae pronounced Can Eye. I asked him Kanae fuck your wife, in an AMA and he choked laughing. So I've gotta respect that.

I watch all these cunts. Wtf is wrong with me :oops:
Damn dude, you really hate a lot of people.

I actually like Jim's videos.

Some things I don't like about youtube and youtube channels -

1) If you provide a link that takes someone out of their bubble it gets deleted
2) Even if you have a valid point but are against the view of the channel, you get bullied
3) If you buy something that is advertised through the channel in a store and the store doesn't send you the item, the channel ignores you even though you only got the item because of their channel
4) A channel that has a different topic each day, but only 3% of it is new. Lade Decade does this all the time.
5) Introductions that takes ages, then you get the advert, then you get the message from the youtube "Lets get right to it!" Yeah right.
6) Americans who repeat the same statement 16x in different wordings. Maybe to get the video length longer, not sure.
7) People who make videos about changing their game room configuration around. Who gives a ****?
8) People who get good deals! So what, whats in it for me? Nadda, ill move along then. lol.
9) Reaction videos where the reactor does not shut up and keeps pausing the video
10) A new video showing a new console being hacked for emulation. Like there ain't 3000 other devices that play the same roms.

Anyone who says "like" 3x or more in the first 15 seconds. :roll:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Lander

Post by Lander »

AGermanArtist wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:41 pm I watch all these cunts. Wtf is wrong with me :oops:
I have a vague suspicion that familiarity begetting contempt will happen to almost all channels if you watch them long enough and start noticing flaws - either ones that were there all along, or developed over time.
It's a rare gem that can go for more than a few years and still be good for the same reasons!
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

No love for John Daub’s Hokkaido videos?

Puts me in the mood for a beer at an ice bar.
WARNING: no refuge
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

No. That guy is bad vibes.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Got around to watching Shumpie's latest, the one about gaming in the 90s...

You know that thing he does, where videos will be either prefaced or closed out with a segment of starry-eyed nostalgia, going on about how it felt to be there man, experience the TurboGrafx library firsthand as a child, and how the genre in large part defined video games for a time?

You know, the seasoning, which adds a relatable personal touch and contextualizes the actual video essay part with all the informative content in it.

Well, what happens when you take out that boring middle section, and replace it with more seasoning? 20 straight minutes of nostalgic fluff, that's what!
Here's hoping it's just a bit of outlying indulgence, and that my bottom-of-the-barrel theory isn't actually coming to pass :?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I don't play arcade games because of my childhood. I didn't have access to arcade games when I was a kid. Arcades were too expensive for us. Regardless, I wonder how great these collectors' childhoods were, that they want to remember every moment of them. I certainly didn't enjoy all aspects of mine. Wouldn't go back, either.

No, the reason I play arcade games is because they're more fun than most modern games.

"Gaming in the '90s" isn't as good as "Running in the '90s" anyway.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

One thing that seems to be a trend is homebrew ports of games to an older console. Like Symphony of the Night on the Genesis. Part of me thinks it's a cool hobby... but "what's the point" when I feel like I don't ever want to play them. I don't even really want to play Kaze Emanuar's romhack of Mario 64, let alone a game I've played as much as I wanted to already.

AGermanArtist wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:41 pmI watch all these cunts. Wtf is wrong with me :oops:

Heh. Did you see Game Sack's parody video?

We watch this shit because we are these people.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

BryanM wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:02 am One thing that seems to be a trend is homebrew ports of games to an older console. Like Symphony of the Night on the Genesis. Part of me thinks it's a cool hobby... but "what's the point" when I feel like I don't ever want to play them. I don't even really want to play Kaze Emanuar's romhack of Mario 64, let alone a game I've played as much as I wanted to already.

AGermanArtist wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:41 pmI watch all these cunts. Wtf is wrong with me :oops:

Heh. Did you see Game Sack's parody video?

Credit to them for self-inclusion. Never been a fan of their channel, although I did like the MSX video. The Game Sack guy that still makes videos has a giant mouth.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Sima Tuna wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:33 am I don't play arcade games because of my childhood. I didn't have access to arcade games when I was a kid. Arcades were too expensive for us. Regardless, I wonder how great these collectors' childhoods were, that they want to remember every moment of them. I certainly didn't enjoy all aspects of mine. Wouldn't go back, either.
Same; the one notable video arcade near me was two towns over, at the end of a long pier, and full of carnie shit like penny-pusher machines. Had Time Crisis, Silent Scope, and a sit-in racer cab that might have been Daytona, but 1-2 quid a pop meant those were a rare treat.
It caught fire and burned down at some point, if memory serves :lol: figures.

I guess it's a case by case thing; some folks' nostalgia pivots around escapism, others around having been the Neo Geo kid.
BryanM wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:02 am One thing that seems to be a trend is homebrew ports of games to an older console. Like Symphony of the Night on the Genesis. Part of me thinks it's a cool hobby... but "what's the point" when I feel like I don't ever want to play them. I don't even really want to play Kaze Emanuar's romhack of Mario 64, let alone a game I've played as much as I wanted to already.
Yeah, it's a neat magic trick, but the appeal seems limited unless you're a superfan who wants to experience every possible permutation and version difference a given game has to offer.
Authenticity is a fine line too - some are really impressive, pushing hardware for a better reproduction or introducing some characterful limitation. But on the other end of the scale, do I really want to play a version of Rastan built by someone who didn't understand why swinging ropes are important to the game, or indeed, how to implement them?
BryanM wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:02 am Heh. Did you see Game Sack's parody video?

Ha, that's pretty good. Though the punchline verges on tragically accurate with 7 years of hindsight!

That Man Carrying Thing shitpost was quality too.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I discovered yet another asshole on YouTube who's already pissing me off just by looking at his content. Calls himself "DevilDo99".
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Lander wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm
Sima Tuna wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:33 am I don't play arcade games because of my childhood. I didn't have access to arcade games when I was a kid. Arcades were too expensive for us. Regardless, I wonder how great these collectors' childhoods were, that they want to remember every moment of them. I certainly didn't enjoy all aspects of mine. Wouldn't go back, either.
Same; the one notable video arcade near me was two towns over, at the end of a long pier, and full of carnie shit like penny-pusher machines. Had Time Crisis, Silent Scope, and a sit-in racer cab that might have been Daytona, but 1-2 quid a pop meant those were a rare treat.
It caught fire and burned down at some point, if memory serves :lol: figures.

I guess it's a case by case thing; some folks' nostalgia pivots around escapism, others around having been the Neo Geo kid.
My nostalgia pivots around escapism, but my escapism doesn't pivot around nostalgia. If that makes sense. :D Nostalgia is a very dangerous feeling. It's easy to fade into memories of the past, good or bad, and live there forever.

I've used escapism to avoid shitty parts of my life for, well, all of my life. Whether that's healthy is highly debatable. So the last thing I want to do at this point is let some marketer exploit muh nostalgia/escapism to sell me shit. Nostalgia-milking from retro game channels always comes across to me as a sales pitch. "Buy this product and you can share my childhood experience." How about no? I don't want to share childhood experiences. My childhood largely sucked ass. I'd prefer to have better experiences now.

Besides which, arcade games don't need nostalgia to sell. They can sell on their own merits as games. They are fun and provide content-dense challenges you won't get from conventional, mainstream gaming. It's rather like selling a near-mint, low miles hachiroku by pointing out what good gas mileage it gets. :roll:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Man Carrying Thing was a victim of the popularity game, too. Used to be Man Carrying Books, I hear, and talked about books.

But no one reads. Maybe those webnovel weirdos at Royal Road and the like, but besides that..

Sima Tuna wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:36 amWhether that's healthy is highly debatable.

Eh, I always think of that old quote: "The reasonable man changes himself to suit the world, the unreasonable man changes the world to suit himself. So all change for better or worse must come from an unreasonable man."

But if you can't change the world or yourself, all you can do is look away.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I recently found Phoenix Resale's channel and been devouring his videos. He does what I used to, to get cash for weed in college in the late Xbox/early 360 days, but on a larger scale. I used to buy replacement cases and manuals to tart up and sell Dreamcast, Xbox/360, PSP and Gamecube games I'd find in pawn shops and car boot sales and I'd buy multiples of games on sale in Argos/Currys etc to flog on eBay once the sales ended. Didn't make a fortune, but an extra £200 a week was handy and meant I didn't have to get a job. Phoenix Resale did $3M business last yr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAsP_6ZpXIU
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stand a lot of these dipshits. Most places you go these clowns are all idolized as sages or something.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

The idea that game news comes from some dickhead spacker that used to work in a Gamestop is fucking hilarious and infuriating in equal measure.
ryu

Post by ryu »

This one showed up in my recommendations today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvKjP1X07tg

And reminded me to wonder why nobody mentioned DYKG in here. Most of the stuff they publish is just mundane stuff you either already know or never needed to know. Watching their videos just makes me feel like I wasted my time more often than not.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I LOVE Sega Lord X. Just so much unintentionally funny material. He REALLY MEANS IT.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

ryu wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:58 pm And reminded me to wonder why nobody mentioned DYKG in here. Most of the stuff they publish is just mundane stuff you either already know or never needed to know. Watching their videos just makes me feel like I wasted my time more often than not.
I only know DYKG because YouTube likes to recommend it to me all the time, and I guess some times I've been curious.
I don't like the clickbaity concept driving the channel, but I've noticed that over the years, after they started exhausting most of the low hanging fruit and commonly shared "fun facts", their ability to dig deeper has resulted in more interesting and nerdy videos.

I don't know how frequently they post stuff, since I've never tracked down their videos intentionally, but over the last couple of years they have, ever so often, made a big video that creeps into my algorithm with an interesting subject and I watch it not because I'm curious, but because I'm genuinely interested - and a lot of the time it's actual detective work performed by the person running the channel, rather than just some asshat paraphrasing Wikipedia articles like the 99% of video game YouTube.
Such as this really deep dive into Retro Studios' rejected Zelda game, which to my knowledge has never been detailed to such a degree previously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlROEEMvBs

Honestly, I think the channel deserves a lot more respect than your average videogame "youtuber" for doing stuff like that.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I really don't think those videos were as grand as the producers themselves believe.

I saw that video too. My take away was that developers work out concepts that get shot down before funding all the time. If I had to watch a 20 minute video on every videogame idea somebody had that didn't come to fruition I wouldn't have much of a life anymore.

The best thing that came out of DYKG is that story about Rare having shown DK with a shotgun to Miyamoto. If it's even a true story...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

HIS coconut GUN
CAN FIRE IN SPURTS
IF HE SHOOTS YAH
IT'S GONNA HURT