Assault Suit Leynos 2 Saturn Tribute out 2024/4/25

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ExitPlanetDust

Assault Suit Leynos 2 Saturn Tribute out 2024/4/25

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

It was announced awhile ago, but we have a release date now.

Latest Trailer:
https://youtu.be/CE0nPHCB1jo

Official Site:
https://city-connection.co.jp/s-tribute/en/leynos2/

Physical releases and English localization as well.
Last edited by ExitPlanetDust on Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
it290

Re: Assault Suit Leynos 2 Saturn Tribute out 2024/4/25

Post by it290 »

Great to see this being translated!
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

English localisation in the initial JP release hopefully, gave up waiting for Batsugun and just imported it instead.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

good to see more platforms! Another game to try.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

https://www.play-asia.com/assault-suit- ... /13/70gulj

For TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS

Good news @TransatlanticFoe it looks like English is in according to the listing.

Edit: Or not haha
Last edited by ExitPlanetDust on Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

All their games have trash input lag? Or has it been getting better?

... Ho hum might just end up with this anyway if translated. Always loved the leynos sense of scale/battlefield...
BIL

Post by BIL »

gray117 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:30 pm All their games have trash input lag? Or has it been getting better?
S-Tribute began with the fucken worst picks imaginable: Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, and Guardian Force. All of these STGs are already laggier than average on STV/Saturn. Far from unplayable; it's just something you can notice if you look for it, likely getting yourself killed in the process, ala Garegga's PCB.

So when they hucked 'em all into their Saturn emulator, yeah. DISASTUH. They've been patched down a bit, but they're still bad. Avoid!

However, I tried out the PS4 Layer Section demo. On a Saturn, Layer Section's input response is sharper than a motherfucker. Image The PS4 S-Tribute is not ACA-sharp, let alone ShotTriggers-monomolecular, but it is tolerable. (get Ray'Z instead, though) CC should've gone with Layer Section for their debut. Legendary Saturn disc. Their Batsugun also got decent reviews; I'm guessing it, too, benefited from the Saturn disc's innate responsiveness.

That's the equation we're working with, here. Cutting-edge killer on Saturn? Tolerable on PS4. Image Maybe it's for the best that they faceplanted out of the starting blocks. Sheeeit Image

I'm guessing a mecha thoroughbred like Leynos II - where a certain delay anchors the sense of controlling a guy, who's controlling a mech, who's controlling a fuckoff massive flamethrower (cf Valken, Ranza, Gigantic Army) - will be similarly tolerable. Perhaps moreso. These aren't STGs designed around pinpoint 8way movement, where the tiniest scrape nukes your run. You still can't slum it, mind! When HG101 goes full mangina on lovable Valken being "unbelievably hard" ? That's a slummer mongling his cheeto-encrusted meatpaws all over the pad. Image Some chumps see a lifebar, and figure it's a license to steal. Then their shitty non-tactics get 'em dogpiled and set on fire and shot. Waaa!

This is war. Survival is your responsibility. Image
... Ho hum might just end up with this anyway if translated. Always loved the leynos sense of scale/battlefield...
Same, very tempted to give it a go just for the EN. It always adds to an already stormingly good game's immersion, when you know what that rando mech pilot is hollering as you magdump him off a cliff!
No more headcanons(^w´ )
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

BIL wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:55 pm That's a slummer mongling his cheeto-encrusted meatpaws all over the pad.
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Also, forum needs a 'like' button.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oho, sankyuu! Image I must admit, even as a moderately ancient farmer, I find myself reaching for a nonexistent "JYEAAA BOYEEE" button, after browsing happening spots! I would propose "Like," "Informative," and "User Is Estebang" buttons, if prompted. (1 month ban if last is used faceitously! Do not mock him! Image "Full Shump" and "Full Plank" buttons were considered, but would all too easily lead to vendetta and unbridled sectarian carnage 3;)

However, I would hate to see any of you implicated in my vast shadow clique. Who they are, what they want, and where they hood be located at, no-one knows. But as you see, they have power in the darkness to make even Master BLOODF bum a man into orbit - escape velocity crushing him like an accordion, and white-hot friction searing him forever bald, as can occur in all three Assault Suits games! :o And also in Dracue's superb Leynos 1 remake for PS4!

And that sounds like some Satanic black magic, sick shit. :shock: So perhaps this place should remain a farmer free-for-all, for now. :3

EDIT: I could go for Youtube embeds though! :O BLOODF-sama pls. They would be LEGIT hella useful, for GDs/STs, and other official Hardcore Killing business... Image And they would ALSO create avenues of Cool Posting never thought possible Image
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Yes, the Zebra Engine, or whatever City Connection calls it, appears to have a few baked in frames of lag. As BIL put it, responsiveness is highly dependent on the original release’s responsiveness on original Saturn hardware. 5 initial frames might not be so bad, but then stack another 3 or 4 from the Zebra and an extra 1 for Switch and even the most lag immune start to feel that something is wrong. Elevator Action Returns on PS4/5 feels ever so slightly heavy. Layer Section felt fine until I played the Ray’z release.

I think Leynos 2 will be fine, unless there are any glaring emulation accuracy issues. I don’t recall anything in the game that requires the pinpoint accuracy of a twitchy shooter. I’m going to preorder a disc at some point. I’m just waiting to see if a western publisher will pick it up.
TransatlanticFoe

Brace for shenanigans!

City Connection have confirmed (via Twitter, lol) that only the Steam and Xbox versions (which are digital only) will support English at launch.

Japanese digital and physical versions (PS4 and Switch) will be Japanese only. For English, they advise waiting for the Western release..... whenever that may be and whoever it may be with. It looks like there's not a standard Asia release either (usually a saviour for including English language), seems like that's replaced with explicitly a Chinese language version.

Now I'd like to think that this is simply because the PS4 and Switch versions need to be certified earlier for the physical release to go into manufacturing and the translation won't be ready...... however it's almost certainly because a toxic limited print publisher doesn't want their figures cannibalised, isn't it?

Wouldn't necessarily be too bad but the Batsugun worldwide physical release seems to have vanished entirely - and Akai Katana (unchanged from the JP version) before it took about 8 months. And you just know it'll be exclusive to a region, so enjoy your shipping/import costs from US/Europe (delete as applicable) if you want a copy. And thus it's probably 2-3 years away because none of them seem to be able to release anything at the moment.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Oh boy oh boy

That’s just weird. Leynos 2 is such a niche title, far more so than something like Elevator Action Returns which seems to have been passed over for a physical release in all regions. It tracks though. English language option disappears from physical releases and there’s no mention of a patch to add it post launch. Wouldn’t want to cannibalize someone’s preorders a year before they’re ready to cobble together a bunch of special editions.

I haven’t put in my preorder for the Japanese release with PA yet. I might just order it anyway. It’s such a low price and I need to learn Japanese anyway. Translator apps are also a thing. The price will probably jump after release too seeing as everything is the target of speculative nonsense these days. Jesus look at the price of the PS4 Japanese remake discs.
cfx

Post by cfx »

The western release, at least in Europe, is via Clear River Games, so LRG is probably responsible for the English being removed from the Japanese releases.
TransatlanticFoe

Great, the same Clear River Games who seems to have gone totally silent on Batsugun's physical release. Wouldn't be surprised if this never turns up as well.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

So you two are saying I should order the Japanese copy anyway.
TransatlanticFoe

If you don't mind it being in Japanese, yeah go for it.

Unless someone gets more concrete on an English physical release, I'll just have to get it on xbox (already have the JP language only Saturn version).
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I was being facetious, but yeah I have a feeling the EU version is going to be a no show and with the recent reveals about SLG’s delays I think it’s safe to assume that LRG will publish this in the west. Regardless, I also had the Saturn disc years ago and I was fine without English then.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I bought Guardian Force on its release and it did feel like I was using some sort of occult magic to control a corpse playing the game for me on the moon, but they rushed an update and it's a bit like playing Little Big Planet with a tank, but it is very playable. Can also vouch for Batsugun. If M2 do it, I'll buy that and this will do in the meantime. I got a free Platinum Trophy from it. It has that 'add your own slowdown' button a'la PS1 DoDon Pachi too.
ch2

Post by ch2 »

Quick heads up: in PC playing with vsync off and Special K Boost+Low Latency feels pretty smooth. A better emulator could scrape off one or two frames more but as it is I feel this is pretty responsive. I noticed slow down when the first boss came (pretty massive dude) but I'm not sure if it's because of the emulator or original behaviour. In any case, not a big deal.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

ch2 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:22 am Quick heads up: in PC playing with vsync off and Special K Boost+Low Latency feels pretty smooth. A better emulator could scrape off one or two frames more but as it is I feel this is pretty responsive. I noticed slow down when the first boss came (pretty massive dude) but I'm not sure if it's because of the emulator or original behaviour. In any case, not a big deal.
Thanks for the thoughts. Any sort of QOL improvements?
ch2

Post by ch2 »

XtraSmiley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:37 pm Thanks for the thoughts. Any sort of QOL improvements?
Not that I can tell. There's a couple of cheats in the game's wrapper which basically work as an Easy mode. Rewind option. A single quick save storage. Rapid fire options... About what you'd expect.

If you care about the presentation, you'd be glad to hear that he English translation is 100% ingame, they didn't put the translation through the wrapper as an overlay. So every dialogue is using the game's own dialogue box and so. I know it's to be expected, but recently I've been seeing other (bigger) companies not bother with patching and instead go the overlay route.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Three questions:

1. is it Saturn Tribute or Shit Tribute this time?
2. does it have proper scaling options? I already know the answer is almost certainly "no", but I might as well ask
3. is it possible to get rid of the hideous backgrounds and just have black nothingness?

Failing to meet any one of these instantly means I'm not buying it, but I may just go get a Saturn copy since they aren't that expensive... yet.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Steven wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 am Three questions:

1. is it Saturn Tribute or Shit Tribute this time?
2. does it have proper scaling options? I already know the answer is almost certainly "no", but I might as well ask
3. is it possible to get rid of the hideous backgrounds and just have black nothingness?

Failing to meet any one of these instantly means I'm not buying it, but I may just go get a Saturn copy since they aren't that expensive... yet.
I don’t think any of these have proper scaling. They just spit out the raw image and upscale to whatever is necessary to display within a 16:9 box. So the image is too narrow, originally relying on a proper 4:3 display to stretch it horizontally for proper geometry. That’s how it is in Elevator Action Returns. It appears to be the case with ASL2 as well from what is shown in trailers and in all of the promotional streams.

You can disable the backgrounds however.