Any more to add to my collection?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Draconiain

Any more to add to my collection?

Post by Draconiain »

Hi
I love shmups and have quit alot on ps4/5 and was wondering if there's anymore to add to my collection.
I know there's a huge amount of arcade archive and aca neogeo games (but there's so many to even begin collecting) and have a few on their way shinorubi,akai katana and r type final 3.
I compiled a list of games I own here..
https://www.dekudeals.com/collection/3mj6xssksh
I know there's alot from Japan but don't know what ones to get I do have psikyo shooting vol 1 and 2 though.
Any help would be awesome.
AGermanArtist

Re: Any more to add to my collection?

Post by AGermanArtist »

Well. the obvious answer is that you're going to have to get the Shot Triggers games.
Spend a few quid on Arcade Archives and get In The Hunt, Image Fight, War of Aero, Cybattler, X Multiply, Xexex, Salamander and Raiden. There's also Pro Gear and Gigawing. That's a good start.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I'd start investing some time in the ones you have first, that's kindof a lot to go through already.
Draconiain

Post by Draconiain »

I've heard of the m2 shot trigger games but only know of play asia to buy them from unless I can get digital versions (thoughni would prefer discs)
What ones should I get or just get them all?
I'll take a look at the arcade archive games you mentioned.
Draconiain

Post by Draconiain »

spmbx wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:04 pm I'd start investing some time in the ones you have first, that's kindof a lot to go through already.
It is unless you have already have the 100% or platinum on them. Some were a right pain to do but then again quit a few of the eastasiasoft ones are really easy but fun.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Draconiain wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:53 pm I compiled a list of games I own here..
That is quite a collection you have here ! Not sure what you mean by "completed" though. If you ask on this forum, the 1CC will be the rule, but then there is so much more to call a shmup owned by yourself.
I see you have Rolling Gunner in this list, which is as close as possible to an arcade-difficulty game. Did you get the 1CC on this one ? Not casual mode ?

And for the question of what to get next, I'd definitely recommend getting Progear, Gigawing, Cave ports, Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, and prepare to dive in the bottomless abyss of this genre.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Draconiain

Post by Draconiain »

guigui wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 pm
Draconiain wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:53 pm I compiled a list of games I own here..
That is quite a collection you have here ! Not sure what you mean by "completed" though. If you ask on this forum, the 1CC will be the rule, but then there is so much more to call a shmup owned by yourself.
I see you have Rolling Gunner in this list, which is as close as possible to an arcade-difficulty game. Did you get the 1CC on this one ? Not casual mode ?

And for the question of what to get next, I'd definitely recommend getting Progear, Gigawing, Cave ports, Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, and prepare to dive in the bottomless abyss of this genre.
Well because I play on ps4/5 I call the game completed when I obtain 100% or the platinum trophy. The game is mastered when I can 1cc on the hardest difficulty.
I'll put a price alert out on psprices for the games mentioned.
I do have a disc version of deathsmiles 1 & 2 but it's unfortunately the one with the glitched trophies and can't be completed.
Plus they got rid of the bloody jitterbug trophy unlike the xboc360 version spent many sleepless nights unlocking that. I miss those days
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't think I've ever played a shoot'em up on modern console hardware where the achievements/trophies held any sort of meaning whatsoever. I think you'd do better just ignoring them for the majority of games, at least the sort that are ported from arcade.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Draconiain wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:25 pm
Well because I play on ps4/5 I call the game completed when I obtain 100% or the platinum trophy. The game is mastered when I can 1cc on the hardest difficulty.
By shmup niche genre standard :
* 1CC is only mandatory in Normal difficulty to call it an actual 1CC.
* Highest score is where the competition is, bottom less.
* Trophies dont really matter as most of the time they were not part of the games as developpers saw it.

Try some scoring runs on Rolling Gunner for instance and you may discover way more depth on this game for instance.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Sumez wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:16 am I don't think I've ever played a shoot'em up on modern console hardware where the achievements/trophies held any sort of meaning whatsoever. I think you'd do better just ignoring them for the majority of games, at least the sort that are ported from arcade.
I so wish you could just opt out of the whole mess. I've turned off everything possible with them on PS4 but they're still in the notifications log where I have to manually delete them, and then there's the games that nag and give errors because I'm not online so they can upload/sync the damn things.

One of the worst things to happen to gaming in my opinion. Side effects of changing game design in some cases, and causing save files to be locked and encrypted. And the tracking associated with them pisses me off. Of course there's no going back now, but just let me opt out of the thing!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

There’s at least the oasis of the Switch if you really hate trophies. They are a bit of a plague in shmups, where most games just pour them on in your first few runs.

Trophy Unlocked: Use a Bomb!

Trophy Unlocked: Move in all 8 directions!

Trophy Unlocked: Beat level 1 without pausing!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

"First of many!!!!! :D :D :D" - Unlocked by dying once

jesus
cfx

Post by cfx »

Jonpachi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 pm There’s at least the oasis of the Switch if you really hate trophies.
True, but I don't think the tradeoff of more input lag, often worse performance and a controller I like less is worth it unfortunately.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Comprehensive.