Sue Me! I like Operation Wolf Returns: First Mission (Review)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
xxx1993

Sue Me! I like Operation Wolf Returns: First Mission (Review)

Post by xxx1993 »

Okay, from the moment I heard Operation Wolf was making a comeback back in 2022, I was a bit shocked. I didn't expect a franchise like this to make a return. Now, fast forward to 2023, after the release of the game, I was actually looking forward to playing it despite hearing some bad reviews from certain pompous windbags like those on YouTube. The end result is that opinions have been split, with Steam being positive with the game and GOG being harsh with it. Some of the bad reviews even attacked its Saturday morning cartoon-look, which I frankly don't mind. And I gotta say, considering I've become rather addicted to the game since getting it for Christmas last year, I have to admit the people who are hating on this game are dead wrong. That doesn't just include the assholes on YouTube, but the people here as well. In fact, I thought the game's pretty damn fun to play if you ask me. Now, before I continue, let me remind you I'm judging my experiences from the PS5 version because that's the one I got. At least I know the Nintendo Switch port is bad because most versions of any game that receive multiple ports tend to be bad on the Switch for some odd reason.

Now, let's talk about the graphics. Okay, I'll admit it, some of it looks a bit bland for a modern game like this. That's one of the few things I will agree with the naysayers on. However, I've played Sol Cresta back in 2022, and that game got a bad rap for its graphics, yet I found that one to be very fun to play. Though to be fair, I feel like the reason why the graphics look a bit generic is because this was originally a VR game. Sometimes making a game from VR to standard is a bit difficult. But still, if you can get past that, you'll have a fun time if you enjoy rail shooters, and speaking of which, I'll also talk about the gameplay.

The gameplay is just as you'd expect it to be, a rail shooter just like its predecessors. However, there is a twist, you have a pistol with unlimited ammo, which you'll have to use if you want to conserve ammunition for your other weapons. The game also features a Time Crisis-style mechanic where you can duck to avoid enemy shots. Aside from your handgun, you also have a shotgun, machine gun, and rifle. I recommend using the rifle the most because it's the most powerful weapon. There are six missions, and each of them take up several acts. At the end of each, you'll have to face off against a tough boss such as an enemy soldier, an attack helicopter, or a tank. I have to agree the boss battles are some of the best parts of the game, because they can be pretty epic, especially the final boss where you have to chase down the villain's plane while he sends out the entire freaking air force after you.

The sound and music is pretty decent. Kinda like how Lethal Enforcers used constant enemy taunts, you'll keep hearing enemies yell "TAKE COVER!" as you shoot your way through gunfights. As for the voice acting and dialogue, I kinda like how cheesy it is, especially considering rail shooters aren't exactly known for having such stellar writing for its dialogue. My favorite pieces of music would have to be the boss themes for the Sergeant, Radar Station, and the Gigatank since they're all hard-hitting rock tunes.

For the presentation, I feel like a badass when I play this game. While the game makes you out to be a Rambo or Expendable-type of soldier, for some reason when I play using mostly the pistol, it's like I'm channeling my inner Dirty Harry or John Wick since I'm a sharpshooter with it.

This game has a ton of replay value if you're looking for some fun. If you want, there's even a survival mode where you can fight as much enemies as you want until you eventually go down.

So overall, I'd give this game a 7/10. So Sue Me! I like Operation Wolf Returns: First Mission and if you don't, I'll see your ass in court.
BIL

Re: Sue Me! I like Operation Wolf Returns: First Mission (Review)

Post by BIL »

Thread title made me laugh, good one x93. :lol: Good review too! I'm not really compelled by what I've seen of the game, but it sounds like they made an effort at the traditional arcade format. I'd have expected some touchscreen F2P shite, these days. 3;
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just wanted to do one similar to The Action Elite’s “Sue Me!” articles.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Maybe one day when it's £5 in a sale.

I'm a genuine fan of Sol Cresta and see it as a study by a developer who loves Nichibutsu games as I do and for the same reasons I do. They tried to make a modern Nichibutsu game, not a Platinum game. They succeeded at a cost to themselves because most people didn't understand what it was. I bought it day one.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

If you do, get the PS5 version, please. Don't bother with the Switch port.