PS1 SCPH-1052 PCB scheme

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sl1pkn07

PS1 SCPH-1052 PCB scheme

Post by sl1pkn07 »

Hi

i have an PS1 SCPH-1050 JP21 scart cable. and i want to transform to European SCPH-1052 cable. the main difference is the PCB supplied in the Scart connector, but i can't find any good picture or schemes for try to clone it

anyone can help me?

greetings
Link83

Re: PS1 SCPH-1052 PCB scheme

Post by Link83 »

Not sure how helpful these will be, but I saved these photos I found in forums some years ago:-

SCPH-1052 Official PS1 SCART Cable

SCPH-10142 Official PS2 SCART Cable

I believe Sony used basically the same design for both the PS1 and PS2 official SCART cables, and that the main difference was the cable/plug color (PS1 is grey, PS2 is black)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Dang, these are quite a bit more complex than anything you’d buy today. What do those 3 chips do?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

BazookaBen wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:47 pm Dang, these are quite a bit more complex than anything you’d buy today. What do those 3 chips do?
Their main purpose is just to step-up the voltage from 5V to 12V for the SCART 'switch signal' to denote a 4:3 aspect ratio:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#Bla ... _switching

Most modern SCART cables just use the 5V directly and don't bother with this as SCART will still 'switch' with 5V. However if you were using a late model 2000's era European CRT TV this would denote a 16:9 signal and potentially either stretch the image to fill the screen (on a 16:9 TV) or squish the image and introduce black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (On a 4:3 TV) automatically, and on some TV's this feature could not be disabled.

Its not really much of an issue nowadays as many SCART switchers dont even rely on the SCART switching and blanking signals to detect a signal (e.g. the Gscartsw uses the video sync to detect a signal and by default outputs SCART switching and blanking signals that denote 4:3, regardless of what the input is) and even then your usually connecting to a scaler which often ignores these signals entirely and allows you to adjust the image aspect ratio however you want. It only really poses an issue for people still using late model European CRT TV's.

As an aside, the official Mega Drive 2 SCART cable also used a step-up voltage circuit in the SCART plug, but it was badly designed and actually ended up introducing noise into the video signal (Article in French):-
http://www.segakore.fr/index.php/2004/0 ... defectueux

Some other PAL consoles instead chose to remove the CSYNC signal from the AV output and replace it with 9-12V for SCART switching, for example the PAL Sega Saturn, PAL SNES and PAL GameCube consoles (Which is what makes it potentially risky to use direct CSYNC cables in a setup with any PAL consoles)
sl1pkn07

Post by sl1pkn07 »

Hi

thanks for the photos. is strange because the OEM JP21 cable (scph-1050) have caps in the RGB signals, but in the OEM European (scph-1052) not...

and in all sites claims the OEM PS1 scart cables have external caps because the console lack that capacitor internally, but in the PS2 consoles have the caps internally...

i'm not remember were i see that, bur exist 2 version of the OEM PS1 scart cables? the later cable is incompatible with DVD players(?)

greetings