This flyer update is dedicated to Shmups and Bullet Hell video games

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dan@flyerfever

This flyer update is dedicated to Shmups and Bullet Hell video games

Post by dan@flyerfever »

March 2024
Desert War (1995) - Jaleco
DoDonPachi (1997) - Cave/Atlus
DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu (2008) - Cave/AMI
Dragon Blaze (2000) - Psikyo
Gunbird (1994) - Psikyo
Gunbird 2 (1998) - Psikyo
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi (2003) - Cave/AMI
Kyukyoku Tiger II (1995) - Takumi/Taito
Pilot Kids (1998) - Psikyo
Pink Sweets: Ibara Sorekara (2006) - Cave/AMI [12-Page Flyer]
Psyvariar: Medium Unit (1999) - Success/Taito
Psyvariar 2 (2003) - Success/Taito
Sengeki Striker (1997) - Warashi/Kaneko
Sengoku Blade (1996) - Psikyo
Shienryu (1997) - Warashi
Sol Divide (1997) - Psikyo
Space Bomber (1998) - Psikyo
Strikers 1945 II (1997) - Psikyo
Strikers 1999 (1999) - Psikyo
Zero Gunner (1997) - Psikyo

https://www.flyerfever.com
BIL

Re: This flyer update is dedicated to Shmups and Bullet Hell video games

Post by BIL »

Beautiful! I so rarely see Desert War / Wangan Sensou materials... whether that's for good reason, I'm not sure, having never played it. :mrgreen: One of NMK's final STGs, if I'm not wrong. I hope it and P47 Aces make it to ACA at some point.
dan@flyerfever

Post by dan@flyerfever »

BIL wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:56 am Beautiful! I so rarely see Desert War / Wangan Sensou materials... whether that's for good reason, I'm not sure, having never played it. :mrgreen: One of NMK's final STGs, if I'm not wrong. I hope it and P47 Aces make it to ACA at some point.
I had no idea that P-47: Phantom Fighter had a sequel. I will definitely be on the look out for the flyer for P-47 Aces.
BIL

Post by BIL »

dan@flyerfever wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:05 pmI had no idea that P-47: Phantom Fighter had a sequel. I will definitely be on the look out for the flyer for P-47 Aces.
Some great character designs in that one, like the renowned Captain Uncle. :cool:

Possible relation of Uncle Beard from Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarok!

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah, thanks so much for these! I love the Psyvariar one. I've been using arcade flyers as a slideshow-style screensaver for ages and your site has become an invaluable resource for them. :D
dan@flyerfever

Post by dan@flyerfever »

Klatrymadon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:04 am Ah, thanks so much for these! I love the Psyvariar one. I've been using arcade flyers as a slideshow-style screensaver for ages and your site has become an invaluable resource for them. :D
Awesome! So glad to hear this. I only recently decided to collect Shmup and Bullet Hell video game flyers, regardless of when they were released.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

LOL that Shienryu flyer screams "Graphic Design is my passion". :lol:
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

copy-paster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:58 pm LOL that Shienryu flyer screams "Graphic Design is my passion". :lol:
As a note, that's not a flyer for the arcade version of Shienryu, but the first flyer for the Saturn version.

I mention it because the site seems dedicated to arcade flyers only? The one for the arcade version is a bit more polished/professional as it was printed by Sega:

https://segaretro.org/Shienryu#Promotional_material

Good luck with your site and many thanks for sharing, by the way. Hopefully one day you get your hands on lesser companies like UPL or Athena. I'm still to see a flyer or printed material of J. J. Squawkers, I'm starting to believe they never made any.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Both Gunbird and Strikers 1945 jamma pcb conversion kits were sold/distributed by Jaleco USA arcade subsidiary for the American arcade market. It was in May of 1995 that Gunbird started appearing at arcades, considering that a Gunbird pcb would have "May 1995" stickers on some of the eeproms. Psikyo did produce all-English arcade paperworks (including instruction card, manual and full-sized arcade marquee) for Gunbird pcbs.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dan@flyerfever

Post by dan@flyerfever »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:33 pm
copy-paster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:58 pm LOL that Shienryu flyer screams "Graphic Design is my passion". :lol:
As a note, that's not a flyer for the arcade version of Shienryu, but the first flyer for the Saturn version.

I mention it because the site seems dedicated to arcade flyers only? The one for the arcade version is a bit more polished/professional as it was printed by Sega:

https://segaretro.org/Shienryu#Promotional_material

Good luck with your site and many thanks for sharing, by the way. Hopefully one day you get your hands on lesser companies like UPL or Athena. I'm still to see a flyer or printed material of J. J. Squawkers, I'm starting to believe they never made any.
Thanks for that feedback. I will definitely confirm to make sure this Shienryu flyer is for the arcade version, not the Sega Saturn home console.

On further research, I noticed on other Sega Saturn video game flyers, the Sega Saturn logo is clearly displayed.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IWkAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

I know that it says "Saturn" at the bottom of the reverse side of the flyer, but what does it mean?
https://www.flyerfever.com/shienryu-jp-a4/
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'd translate it "announcement of Saturn port" or "Saturn port decided". You can tell it doesn't belong to the arcade version particularly because Sega isn't mentioned in the copyright lines and they were the publishers of the arcade version, unlike with the home version. They just didn't secure the Saturn naming and logos for that announcement.

Edit: I asked a friend to confirm. He says it's likely a preliminary flyer for both, the arcade and the Saturn versions because of the year in the copyright line - the game was released in 1997 and not 1996. I trust him more than me for this stuff so...
RobHimself

Post by RobHimself »

Thank you so very much for posting these. The quality of scans are exceptional!!
dan@flyerfever

Post by dan@flyerfever »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:41 pm I'd translate it "announcement of Saturn port" or "Saturn port decided". You can tell it doesn't belong to the arcade version particularly because Sega isn't mentioned in the copyright lines and they were the publishers of the arcade version, unlike with the home version. They just didn't secure the Saturn naming and logos for that announcement.

Edit: I asked a friend to confirm. He says it's likely a preliminary flyer for both, the arcade and the Saturn versions because of the year in the copyright line - the game was released in 1997 and not 1996. I trust him more than me for this stuff so...
Thanks for the clarifications. I also reached out to a friend who used to be an arcade operator and can read Japanese. He said the same thing. I guess I will keep it after all and continue hunting for the other Shienryu flyer which is dedicated to the arcade version.