RGB shifter/scaler?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
drojman

RGB shifter/scaler?

Post by drojman »

I'm sorry to make a post about this but I've been googling around and I'm struggling to understand what does and doesn't exist and hoping I can get a definitive answer.

I want to use a consumer CRT set to play my old consoles, but many of the ones available don't have comprehensive or any controls to shift/scale an RGB image. Is there any device that can do this externally? I've seen that some extron devices can do horizontal shift, are there those that can do everything? Image sizing would be quite important I think.

For reference I would be adjusting 240p and 480i, nothing higher.

Thank you.
orange808

Re: RGB shifter/scaler?

Post by orange808 »

Easier said than done. Scaling isn't going to happen in the all analog domain. You're standing in front of a deep rabbit hole. Video scaling is not easy.

For making adjustments to the porches (vertical and horizontal "centering"), an Extron RGB box may work for you. Although, it's also possible a sync processor will create artifacts on your CRT. I have no idea. You won't know until you try. If you're completely new to this, adding an Extron RGB in front of your CRT is not as trivial as it sounds, either.

It's a rabbit hole. Your best bet is to adjust the image on the display in the service menu and deal with the overscan and "off center" image.
We apologise for the inconvenience
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Gbs control can pass through and image shift/resize 240p. I don't believe it can pass a interlaced signal but it can downscale rgbs 480i and then you get the shift/resize functionality.

RT5X can scale, shift, resize, pass thru 240p and 480i as well as downscale 480i plus all of the above. Youd have to figure out how to get hdmi to your consumer set's inputs tho.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804492363749.html

This thing on AliExpress claims to support “image enlargement”, but I’m a bit skeptical. It could be poor English and they actually mean image *position*.

Description from the linked device:

“RGB Amplifier Supports RCA/SCART/1.5K VGA IN RGBHV To RGBS for RGB Monitor Home Video Game Console Arcade RGB AMP

Features:
Support RCA/SCART/1.5K VGA input
Support low-resolution VGA (RGBHV) conversion to RGBS and support image enlargement
Built-in 1881 chip, which can convert home game consoles into pure sync signals, suitable for RGB monitors that can only receive pure sync signals
Three different video inputs can be adjusted independently, which can effectively correct color cast and aging problems”

There looks to only be three knobs on the thing, and they could likely just be for simply adjusting the levels of R, G & B (judging by the last few lines in the description of its features)

——————————————————————

There’s also those RGB horizontal/vertical position adjustment devices on AliExpress.

orange808

Post by orange808 »

Just be aware that the moment you let something digitally sample your signal, you're headed down the rabbit hole with the rest of us.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Gara

Post by Gara »

The warnings are pretty spot on. It can be kind of a fools errand trying to chase this. Even when you have a monitor/TV that has adjustment it's not really something most of us are doing on a game by game basis. It's all about finding that middle ground. I have horizon and vertical positioning working through an Extron RGB Rxi 203 for many sources, but I don't think I can actually recommend that to someone. There is just too many compatibility problems and variables. Every alternative that I've researched is filled with its own problems and variables. If you do start trying things out then please share your journey. I'd be curious to know how it goes.
drojman

Post by drojman »

Thanks for all the help everyone.

What I decided to do was abandon this really.

What I have got, however is a trust CM8833 MK2 which has horizontal width and positioning as well as vertical as adjustment knobs on the back and front of the set.

Pretty much perfect!