I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sturmvogel Prime

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

This week's release is Konami's Jungler.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202402210045/
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Not the Konami game I was hoping for this month :roll:
Hopefully we'll get something interesting in the interim like Ninja Emaki.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I kinda like Jungler but I get it's not everyone's cup of tea.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Well, it's one of the lesser games out of the way. Roll on next month.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm, never even heard of that one. Usually I'll at least know a Konami title's name. Will have to give it a spin.

Of that early 80s set, it's really Roc n' Rope I'd like to see. Never gave it the proper appreciation on PS1; would like to revisit now I'm more familiar with Tokuro Fujiwara's more famous Capcom followup. Didn't know he also worked on Pooyan until recently, man's synonymous with quality. Not that I play Pooyan much, some sad shit, need a stiff drink first. 3;

Speaking of messed-up games that left a mark; late token of appreciation for NUCLEAR BIOHORROR EXTRAVAGANZA Master of Weapon! Loved the posts jehu. Image I too always filed it with MegaBlast and Tokio, non-essential but always nice to have around... in gameplay terms, that is. Aesthetically, it's quite singularly FAWKED REET UP M8 Image :shock: :cool:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

More early 80s Konami! Definitely getting this one. Actually got ports to Emerson Arcadia and Tomy Tutor. Not sure about Face Off, but it seems to have a following in Japan for some reason. Even Kamiya shilled it.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It was the American arcade company, Stern, that had gotten the exclusive rights to sell/distribute the upright arcade game cabinet of Pooyan from Konami in the USA back in 1982. Sure, I used to play Pooyan at my local Chuck E. Cheese's pizza/arcade joint back in 1982-1984. Of course, all the arcade game and ticket prize redemption games were credited up with their usual golden-colored CEC arcade tokens. And if you didn't have enough prize tickets to get a certain prize that you wanted, you could combine your prize tickets and good ol' American cash to get it or just buy it outright with cash at "Jasper's General Country Store" located inside your local CEC joint back in the late 1970s and into the early 1980s.

I never knew that the original CEC location (it was the very same site that hosted the 1999 California Extreme show -- it was unbelievably huge in terms of actual arcade game floor space!) was in Frontier Town shopping center just across the street from the world-famous Winchester Mystery Mansion in San Jose, CA (of all places to be located -- wow!). CEC founder Nolan Bushnell sure went all out with that very first CEC location indeed -- he wanted to make his CEC character more famous than Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse (it did not happen).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:11 pmNot sure about Face Off, but it seems to have a following in Japan for some reason. Even Kamiya shilled it.
Haha, I figured - the dual stick setup has cult favourite written all over it. Made me think of a digital foosball table.
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:14 am It was the American arcade company, Stern, that had gotten the exclusive rights to sell/distribute the upright arcade game cabinet of Pooyan from Konami in the USA back in 1982. Sure, I used to play Pooyan at my local Chuck E. Cheese's pizza/arcade joint back in 1982-1984.

CEC founder Nolan Bushnell sure went all out with that first CEC location indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The Stern licensing explains a lot! I remember seeing Pooyan mentioned alongside all the staple Atari/Williams favourites, on US gaming boards back in the day. I was actually surprised to find it on the PS1 Konami arcade compilation. Initially wondered if it'd been licensed to Konami from the US, ala Frogger. :smile:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It was Sega/Gremlin that was the U.S. arcade licensee for Frogger from Konami (as Konami still didn't have a proper dedicated American arcade subsidairy at that point in time). The Parker Brothers' Atari 2600 port of Frogger still has the copyright of being attributed to Sega/Gremlin back in 1982 on the game cartridge sticker label itself.

The other two arcade game titles of Time Pilot and Gyruss (also developed & published by Konami) were sold/distributed in the USA by Centuri (an American arcade game company) back in 1982 & 1983 respectively.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah yeah, Time Pilot's another of those crossover favourites you'd always see mentioned alongside Robotron and Joust. Interesting time period for sure!
MJR

Post by MJR »

Yay, finally reached the true ending of Rainbow Islands! Managed to get few critical things that enabled it, namely secret doors in islands 1,2,3 and 7, which gave permanent shoes, red potion, yellow potion and book of continues, respectively which enabled me to credit feed through islands 8-10 which are ridiculous. I also managed to get secret door at the last secret island :D

For full disclosure, I did use save state, but did not abuse them to get secret doors (was tempted though), I think this happened purely to luck. Few last weeks I had mostly played by failing the secret doors and being OK with it. The save state is still useful on taking the item counter to the next game with you.

80% of the deaths were still due to the damn auto climb, rest happened when I jumped onto enemy or enemy fireball. So I just can't get used to the controls, but I am getting better. This game is what most modern games are not; which is exhilirating :)
Spoiler
Not sure if I have the stamina to keep reaching for 1cc, those secret islands difficulty.. f*ck!

EDIT: What was interesting that since I went to the last secret door without engaging boss of shadow, the game acknowledges this:
Spoiler
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I know some are waiting for Ninja Emaki, but am I the only one hoping next week, if Nichibutsu, will instead be Legion?

Although I'm trying to imagine what would really make sense for Hamster trying to build up to a massive non-Konami/Taito/Namco release, assuming they haven't just been drawing finalized emulations out of a hat. Raiden II or D/X? Geo Storm (assuming that's not already up)? Mighty Bomb Jack? Other?
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Skyknight wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:35 am I know some are waiting for Ninja Emaki, but am I the only one hoping next week, if Nichibutsu, will instead be Legion?

Although I'm trying to imagine what would really make sense for Hamster trying to build up to a massive non-Konami/Taito/Namco release, assuming they haven't just been drawing finalized emulations out of a hat. Raiden II or D/X? Geo Storm (assuming that's not already up)? Mighty Bomb Jack? Other?
I'd be happy with any Nichibutsu or an interesting Jaleco - Valtric.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

MJR wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:02 pm Not sure if I have the stamina to keep reaching for 1cc, those secret islands difficulty.. f*ck!
They are definitely a step up! the true rainbow islands starts here
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:36 pm
MJR wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:02 pm Not sure if I have the stamina to keep reaching for 1cc, those secret islands difficulty.. f*ck!
They are definitely a step up! the true rainbow islands starts here
DRUNK: *unintelligible shitfaced rambling*
BUB: *gunshot to Drunk's face*
BOB: "Wait, DRUNK! I'm gonna put an end to this doubt... The Real Rainbow Islands Starts Here!"
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Allumer returns to the Arcade Archives scene: War of Aero: Project MEIOU is this week's title.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202402280045/
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

New one on me. Getting strong Type-A vibes from that ship.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice, been looking forward to this one. Got my GSM ImageFight disc ready to fire up if it's got Rezon-itis. Image
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

That looks pretty cool. Heavily inspired by Image Fight, multidirectional shooting, environmental hazards...ticks my boxes.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

BIL wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:30 am Nice, been looking forward to this one. Got my GSM ImageFight disc ready to fire up if it's got Rezon-itis. Image
Checking a video of it, you should be fine. The music has actual loops. (Okay, the even-numbered boss theme might be repetitive anyway.)
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

I dont hink Meiou’s allumer version ever got dumped, did it? I think only that scummy hoarder Shou owned a PCB, IIRC… So this is a pretty cool release for that alone imo
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Great game, this. It always felt like a more accomplished, fully-fledged sequel to Image Fight than the kinda patchwork Operation Deepstriker, which is closer to a very loose conversion of the original game in terms of its stage ideas and setpieces, etc. Aero is maybe not quite as tactical as either of those, but it's still a lot of fun, and the sprite art and backgrounds are beautiful. I just need the st2 boss to stop ruining my caravan mode runs. :P
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I just wait to see how many will call the final boss Hibachibi. >>;;;;;

(Yes, I get its shape is more wasp than bee. Thy point?)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hibachi is definitely a wasp :)
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:00 am Allumer returns to the Arcade Archives scene: War of Aero: Project MEIOU is this week's title.
Looks pretty..Is "worth"? :o
ryu

Post by ryu »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:00 am Allumer returns to the Arcade Archives scene: War of Aero: Project MEIOU is this week's title.
Are these global releases or is it only on the japanese e-shop?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ryu wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:18 pm
Are these global releases or is it only on the japanese e-shop?
I bought it on the US PSN earlier today and it's on the US Nintendo website (didn't check eshop, but should be there too).
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

What are the coolest Arcade Archives beat 'em ups? I'm guessing Zero Team and Vendetta?
BIL

Post by BIL »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:43 am What are the coolest Arcade Archives beat 'em ups? I'm guessing Zero Team and Vendetta?
Also Wild Fang and its spiritual predecessor Ninja Gaiden - all super rad yet formally airtight games.

I'd also mention Runark/Growl and Takeda Shingen/Samurai Fighter Shingen. Not as chrome-polished as the above four, but more than solid enough, and both packing lots of style and inventive twists. Shingen's lethal take on sword-based beltscrolling is my jam. It looks fugly in stills, but has some amazing stoic atmosphere.