PVM 20L4 does not boot, LEDs briefly flash

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SuperSpongo

PVM 20L4 does not boot, LEDs briefly flash

Post by SuperSpongo »

Hey guys,

I've been trying to repair a 20L4 for the past couple of weeks now. This is the error (I removed the audio because I was babbeling something - no degauss, no suspicious clicking sounds):

https://youtu.be/f0XaBSY3IyE

I probed a couple of voltages, everything is OK here. But the high voltage does not do anything whatsoever.
The L4 is pretty complicated already: It has a CPLD or FPGA for brains and an UNLOCK signal that unlocks various segments of the hardware.

Since I did not have any high voltage but all other voltages are present, I checked for the input signal of the HOT which led me to the Jungle Chip on the D1 Board. The Jungle is a proprietary Sony Chip CXA8071CP. I discovered that the chip does not have a clock signal.
I exchanged the ceramic resonator and capacitor but that was not the error. This led me to a false conclusion that the chip might be faulty. I bought new old stock chips and exchanged that too, but no luck.

I might have overthought the problem and right now I'm trying to double check if anybody has seen this error before.
Any input is appreciated :-)
SuperSpongo

Re: PVM 20L4 does not boot, LEDs briefly flash

Post by SuperSpongo »

Quick update:

So I initially thought that replacing the chip did absolutely nothing, but that's not the case: At least I now have a Clock signal again. Good thing that I already scoped the clock on a working 20L4, otherwise I would not have believed that this signal is normal.
Spoiler