DCdigital HW2 - MA deinterlacing and custom modelines

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Konsolkongen

DCdigital HW2 - MA deinterlacing and custom modelines

Post by Konsolkongen »

I installed a DCdigital in my Dreamcast last week and I'm liking it a lot. Image and sound are perfect and it just looks unbelievably good upscaled from 1440p on my OLED :)

I am a little bit disappointed in its motion adaptive deinterlacing though. I have read a ton of praise about that on the RetroTink 5X, but I'm not really that impressed with this to be honest. I assume they are comparable.

It has been a while but I think I found the deinterlacing on the XRGB-mini to look better, or at least sharper than this. With PS2 games though, never used it for Dreamcast.

This makes me wonder, do the Dreamcast have any kind of deflicker filter on its 480i output? I don't understand why weave deinterlacing doesn't look similar to 480p in still screens.

Using a game like Dino Crisis there is a big difference between the image quality of MA/weave (on stills) and when the game is forced to VGA.

Another question I have is about custom modelines. From reading their documentation it sounds like I should be able to make a 2560x1440p resolution with 4x pixel repetition on the horisontal axis. While the normal 1440p looks perfect my TV adds an additional frame of lag when displaying a 4:3 image, so doing the proposed would solve this.

They already have specified a custom modeline with 2x pixel repetition to 2560x1440, but that isn't an integer scaled image so it looks bad:
custom2=1440p PR,1360,1280,24,40,16,1481,1440,3,33,5,1,0,6.0,p:1,0
I have tried messing about with it some, but the best I could ever get was a much zoomed in picture of the upper left corner :D

I tried this among other attempts:
custom1=1440p test,720,640,24,40,16,1481,1440,3,33,5,1,0,6.0,p:3,0
I'm obviously just trying to guess the correct values. I looked at this timing calculator, but I'm not sure it that is even applicable to the Dreamcast :)
https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator