Shooters or Shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
NAVVARR

Shooters or Shmups

Post by NAVVARR »

Why do online stores- likes of Nintendo eshop not have a Shmup genre?
Perhaps I've missed it- but how do you filter shmups to avoid all the 1st person shooters- which are a completely different type of game.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
jehu

Re: Shooters or Shmups

Post by jehu »

They don’t have a specific category because it’s not a genre with enough popularity to justify. Sad times for all of us.

Your best bet is likely the ‘Arcade’ category - and sometimes filtering ‘Arcade’ and ‘Shooter’ together does the trick. For Switch, I know people keep quite fastidious lists of all the eShop STGs on like DekuDeals, but I don’t personally have a link to them.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Not switch specific:

Shmups doesn't mean much to many people. Most category systems are aimed at casual users. I'd be curious if stg == shmups to a generic Japanese audience though... Could maybe imagine it creeping into use if they want an efigs translation...

Shooters generally mean fps... Maybe lightgun games ... Maybe run and guns ... Then probably shmups.

Casual/arcade - are handy monikers since it suitably sets expectations as to the type of game/length/idea you're meant to replay it. But it is a bit of a crapshoot if you're actually after shmups.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Definitely missing out- it might be a bit niche but it's still a popular genre. I don't see why shmup could not be used to describe the type of games that we all enjoy.
I personally can't be bothered scrolling through thousands of games looking for my kinda game- I generally just pick up games through this forum or some shmup related facebook group.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I'm just grateful they didn't make a 'schmups' category.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I've stopped caring about recruiting new people to keep the genre alive. It seems that the 20,000 global players are enough to sustain the likes of M2, so search and wishlist suits me. I tend to know what I'm looking for. Fuck filtering through all the junk out there, particularly on the eShop.
oversoul17

Post by oversoul17 »

It's obviously not an official sorting tool, but DekuDeals has a pretty good Nintendo shop filtering system for Shmups:

https://www.dekudeals.com/lists/h9wbjf?sort=discount

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
guigui

Post by guigui »

oversoul17 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:11 pm It's obviously not an official sorting tool, but DekuDeals has a pretty good Nintendo shop filtering system for Shmups:

Nice sort there ! I've been using Deku Deals for a while and did not find this sort possibility, and I'm not able to reproduce it anyway. Care to explain how you did ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
oversoul17

Post by oversoul17 »

I also have no idea.

Someone with the moniker StarkFists posted it on the r/shmup reddit a while ago in response to a similar question, and I bookmarked it. I have no clue how to do it either, but at least someone does.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

guigui wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:13 pm
oversoul17 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:11 pm It's obviously not an official sorting tool, but DekuDeals has a pretty good Nintendo shop filtering system for Shmups:

Nice sort there ! I've been using Deku Deals for a while and did not find this sort possibility, and I'm not able to reproduce it anyway. Care to explain how you did ?
That's a curated list that someone has been maintaining for a long time