Unico Nova Blast candy cab with 26" lcd monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Unico Nova Blast candy cab with 26" lcd monitor

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Came across some youtube videos mentioning Unico USA's upcoming new Nova Blast candy cab/bartop offering. It's constructed with all metal parts (absolutely no MDF wood construction whatsoever here) and has a full-sized Sega Astro City type of control panel populated with all Denshi Sanwa arcade parts (you can swap the default Blast Nova control panel and replace it with a real Astro City control panel if so desired). The 26" lcd monitor is 1440 x 1080 resolution and can be installed in yoko or tate format (you have to manually rotate it by hand, of course, as there's no specialized rotating mechanism on-board anyways).

The NB cab accepts standard jamma, Sega Naomi 1&2, Taito Type X/X+/X2/X3/X4, various gaming consoles, mini pc, Raspberry Pi, MISTer, etc. Total weight with half top bartop portion and bottom base is 110 pounds altogether. The bottom base has a 100% working coin slot/coin box for accepting quarters/tokens and can be set up at a retail establishment such as an arcade, street location or for private home use (as Unico USA has billed it's NB cab for commercial use). The top tier $1,399.99 usd combo deal buys you the complete bartop + bottom base + two Japanese styled arcade stools included with an estimated April 2024 delivery timeframe. Shipping & handling is not included with the pre-ordering price deal as usual.

Unico USA plans to offer an component video input board upgrade for it's NB candy cab at a later date to be determined.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
NoAffinity

Re: Unico Nova Blast candy cab with 26" lcd monitor

Post by NoAffinity »

Color me intrigued. Not that I have space or budget, but it's an interesting development in this day and age. Any cities? Of course I could probably just google it, but good to include here for posterity and discussion's sake.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Be extremely careful as this monitor has a very storied history. In short, its probably a 1024x768 panel with a scaler to "accept" higher resolutions. Read up on the thread below, its almost certainly the same monitor.

viewtopic.php?p=1541613&hilit=Unico#p1541613
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Josh128 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:13 pm Be extremely careful as this monitor has a very storied history. In short, its probably a 1024x768 panel with a scaler to "accept" higher resolutions. Read up on the thread below, its almost certainly the same monitor.

viewtopic.php?p=1541613&hilit=Unico#p1541613
From what I understand, the monitor they are using in the cab is a newer monitor that (supposedly) fixes all the problems of the crappy monitor they've been selling. I'm hoping it's good, but I'm sure as heck not buying one until we've seen some reviews.
Steven

Post by Steven »

This thing is like twice the price of a real New Astro City. Lol no.

Of course, the stock monitor in a New Astro is limited to 15 and 24kHz, but if you don't want to play 31kHz games...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

A friend recently picked up one of their monitors and it seems to be fine during initial testing, works as expected, etc, so I think they may well have rectified some of the past issues.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It's been mentioned that the Unico 26" monitor does accept 15.7kHz with no problem.

How much do used Vewlix candy cabs sell for in Japan?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Steven

Post by Steven »

This is what I could find on sold Vewlix prices

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1107879931

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1107893204

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1108412656

Tops also has this one: https://www.tops-game.jp/products/detai ... ct_id=5479

So like 30,000~70,000 yen, or somewhere around $200~$470 USD.

I got my New Astro City for 100,000 yen shipped a year and a half ago. Old Astro City is like 60,000 yen or so, unless you buy from overpriced Tops.