Gbs-c taking a while for image to stabilize with clock mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheRetroCarrot

Gbs-c taking a while for image to stabilize with clock mod

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

Just wondering if anyone experienced with the GBS-C could comment on if it is normal for it to take a while (30 secondsish) for the image to stabilize horizontally on sync or resolution change?

This only happens with frame time lock enabled with an external clock gen. It's not a prebuilt unit. All systems are using component cables.

Not really a bit deal as it's perfect once stable, I used to have a aliexpress unit that didn't do this but I also don't know if the clock gen worked in that one as it had tons of other issues.

If it's not normal any suggestions? Thank you.
Syntax

Re: Gbs-c taking a while for image to stabilize with clock mod

Post by Syntax »

No the clock mod should make things instant.
Ensure you have the correct one, there were some that didnt work at all.
There should be a readout for sync lock and such what does that say?
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

Syntax wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 am No the clock mod should make things instant.
Ensure you have the correct one, there were some that didnt work at all.
There should be a readout for sync lock and such what does that say?
I'm using one of the following boards:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09DM96KGS?psc ... ct_details

I get this initially:
clock gen reset: 81000000
Active FrameTime Lock enabled, adjusting external clock gen frequency

preset applied: 720x480 (custom) for EDTV 60Hz

source Hz: 59.93941 new out: 59.93946 clock: 80987928 (-12072)

I did initially connect to pin 26/27 on the controller instead of 25/26 during installation. This caused the clock gen to not enable and the image would shift vertically every once in a while, I had it running for about an hour before realizing m mistake. That issue went away when I corrected it. At the moment it's a bit inconsistent, yesterday the horizontal image wasn't stabilizing for around 30 seconds, this morning it shifts a few times and is stable within seconds. That being said in passthrough or with FTL disabled it's still almost instant.

EDIT: It appears disabling "syncwatcher" makes everything instantaneous. Not sure why this would be or what the downsides of doing this would be? EDIT2: I see, it won't sync at all if I change systems with this disabled haha.
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

I do have an adafruit clock gen on order just in case this brand is causing any issues, should have it next weekend anyways. I'll upload a video of what it's doing soon.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/nJ5TXbfRE94

It's like this on multiple systems and anytime resolution changes. I'm going to move this over to the main GBS-C thread, I posted my own just because that one is getting so long but I figure it makes more sense. If mods want to delete this thread that's okay. Thanks!
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

Well I gave the adafruit board a try today, exhibits identical performance. Not really sure what else to try at this point other than just live with it.

It looks like disabling syncwatcher after a system has done initial sync resolves this even upon resolution change. The problem is I have this hooked to a GCOMPSW and regular change systems. At least there is a workaround if I do want to play a system that goes between 240p and 480i, but I'd much prefer to figure out why this is happening. This is also system or resolution dependent it seems, PS2 can switch between 240-480i with no issues, Xbox cannot go between 480i-480p.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

You're on the latest rama firmware? Have you tried a different esp82? You've done all the required mods?
TheRetroCarrot

Post by TheRetroCarrot »

NoAffinity wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:38 pm You're on the latest rama firmware? Have you tried a different esp82? You've done all the required mods?
I'm using this guy flashed with 2.6.3 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PR9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Haven't tried another, at that point I'm kind of redoing the whole mod haha. Though I would swap it out if that was the issue. I removed C11, removed and bridged the RGB pots, stacked the 4 10uf caps. Since I'm using component I didn't do any of the RGBs sync mods.

Latest firmware is used. Rama did respond to my post I put on github saying it's likely just the algorithm and display not getting along. I'd have to find a way to test with another display to verify, unfortunately I have nothing else that takes RGBHV so I'd have to do some conversion which adds another variable to the results.