Always Surrender - a score attack shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonster

Always Surrender - a score attack shmup

Post by Jonster »

Hi, long time reader, first time writer.

I released Always Surrender today, a game I've been (very) slowly working on for the past few years. It's a score attack vertical shooter where you have one life but can give up (surrender) to bank an increasing bonus, there's also a timed mode with infinite lives and a classic mode with lives and bombs instead. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmCPa7Hzoug

To add to the threat if you stop firing for a short period you suck in all the medals (which increase the multiplier) on the screen, but this gives time for enemies to become more of a threat. To not be totally brutal if an enemy or bullet gets too close there's a slow-mo system to get out of danger, you're also invincible for the period during slow-mo, but the cooldown for this increases the more it is used.

It's supposed to be a quick hit of a game, but I've no doubt someone will blow that expectation away!

And it's now available on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434 ... Surrender/
AGermanArtist

Re: Always Surrender - a score attack shmup

Post by AGermanArtist »

Rllmuk is a fucking nightmare.
clippa

Post by clippa »

AGermanArtist wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:36 pm Rllmuk is a fucking nightmare.
Haha! :D I can't argue with that, honestly, but it's a lot better than it used to be. They got rid of the downvoting a while back which stifled a lot of the bullying and overall general cuntery.
You're much less likely of getting lynched if you have an opinion that doesn't match the general consensus nowadays.

The niche threads are usually sound with a couple of nice little communities dotted around the board. Stick to those and you'll be grand.

Game is really good fun, Jonster. I've been addicted to it today!
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

It's full of insufferable cunts who've seemingly lost their minds and capacity for reason.
I refuse to call them Woke, since they're being manipulated to drive Centre Left people to the Centre Right due to their inability to reconcile with this version of the Left's ideology that seems to be more concerned with sexuality and gender than politics, employment and the working class, and to self sabotage by doing so.
I prefer The wrong Left. Where you're in league with Hitler despite espousing ideology influenced by Left leaning thought leaders like Chomsky.
Anyway, back to bullets :arrow:
Last edited by AGermanArtist on Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jonster

Post by Jonster »

clippa wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:57 pm Game is really good fun, Jonster. I've been addicted to it today!
Pleased you're enjoying it! One of my friends planned to stream it for just an hour earlier, and the amount of "just one more goes" there were was very amusing.
AGermanArtist wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:49 pm Anyway, back to bullets :arrow:
8)
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Very nice scorechaser STG Jonster. Especially love the slowdown mechanic you've implemented and would like to see this same system in your future projects. Nice to also see it has online lb's as I've been fighting for scores today. :)

Congratulation on the release!
Jonster

Post by Jonster »

Thanks -Fish-! Please you're enjoying it :)

Have an idea for the next project already and the slowdown mechanic will definitely be looked to be expanded upon, despite all the headaches it caused (or maybe because of them :lol:).
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Always Surrender stg release works/plays great on the Steam Deck -- just gotta run the Proton 8.0-5 loader to be able to boot it up properly on a Steam Deck setup. Has true "on-line" leaderboards support from the get-go. And get this, it has support for both yoko and tate as well. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~