Dreamcast - starting from zero

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Taiyaki

Re: Dreamcast - starting from zero

Post by Taiyaki »

kitty666cats wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:12 pm
Konsolkongen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:07 pm PAL Skies of Arcadia supports RGB. Unfortunately only at 50Hz.
There’s a PAL 60Hz patch that also supports VGA, it seems some people out there have had occasional issues running it though.

https://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/6434.html
Or even better just used the uncensored version which is basically a version that restores the censored bits like smoking and such but also fixes the RGB issue, and still uses the same saves as the US version. The creator also has a version that cuts encounters by half and you can avoid combat as long as you like while holding B I believe.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

TORO from Behar Bros plus a SCART/RGB adapter sounds like the right solution for connecting to the PC CRT and BVM at the same time. Even if I only use one or the other I'll still need some box like the TORO.

Any others to consider besides TORO? Is the TORO totally lag free and does it attenuate?

https://www.beharbros.com/product-page/toro
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Good review of the Toro here:

https://www.retrorgb.com/toro.html
it’s the best choice for any Dreamcast fan that wants both VGA and SCART outputs.

And mention of the Kuro+ here (essentially same as Toro without the scanline generator):

https://www.retrorgb.com/behar-bros-rel ... t-box.html
this seems to be my new favorite device for people needing a solution that works with both an RGB monitor and a VGA monitor as well!

The problem is both articles mention a compatibility problem with the device's sync and some Sony BVMs:
The combined sync signal seems to work well with the OSSC and Framemeister, but has issues on some RGB monitors.
Unfortunately, some Sony BVM users will still require a separate sync combiner, as certain models aren’t compatible with the method the Behar Bros’ use to combine sync. Luckily, things like Extron RGB interfaces can be found for less than $20 on eBay and will work with all RGBHV to RGBs conversion, making it a device all Sony BVM 480p owners should have anyway.
However he references "Sony BVM 480p owners" so maybe my 480i BVM will work without adding another device. What do you think?
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

I wouldn't recommend their products but perhaps they've improved over the years. I had one of their VGA boxes (pretty sure it was a Hanzo). After plugging it in and leaving it in place the audio output died and the video output was touchy.
beharius

Post by beharius »

For years we sent "free" replacement cables to fix the issues for those who contacted us. Then in 2018,we changed the cable design and revised its circuit. So we don't have those quality issues now. We're also working with a cable factory who is a defense contractor so the cable quality has been improved. For the older broken cables we can send an upgrade kit for the newer one.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

My issue with Behar products was the way the cable seated into the box. I had a Toro years ago and the connection would be severed by just looking at it wrong. The build quality was otherwise excellent and when it worked it did exactly what it advertised. I ended up selling it because it was basically unusable with that awful connector. Has the design been improved? If so I would be willing to give their products another try.
beharius

Post by beharius »

Only thing unchanged is its plexi enclosure. Its new cable has a Mini Din plug and it's bendable now.
StrzxgvNuvWvfld

Post by StrzxgvNuvWvfld »

beharius wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:55 pm Only thing unchanged is its plexi enclosure. Its new cable has a Mini Din plug and it's bendable now.
Is there a way to get an upgrade for this without buying a new box? I have a Toro and I'm very happy with the quality when it's working, but as was mentioned above, the slightest nudge and it loses connection.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

beharius wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:13 pm For years we sent "free" replacement cables to fix the issues for those who contacted us. Then in 2018,we changed the cable design and revised its circuit. So we don't have those quality issues now. We're also working with a cable factory who is a defense contractor so the cable quality has been improved. For the older broken cables we can send an upgrade kit for the newer one.
That's good. If the problems are fixed then it's worth consideration for someone wanting more than VGA output alone.
beharius

Post by beharius »

StrzxgvNuvWvfld wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:16 pm
beharius wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:55 pm Only thing unchanged is its plexi enclosure. Its new cable has a Mini Din plug and it's bendable now.
Is there a way to get an upgrade for this without buying a new box? I have a Toro and I'm very happy with the quality when it's working, but as was mentioned above, the slightest nudge and it loses connection.
If you can desolder its current cable connector, then it can be upgraded for the newest mini din cable with our kit. If you can't then you need to send it back so we can upgrade it. It just costs $10+ shipping fee.