Sega Dreamcast Jamma adapter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tek-9

Sega Dreamcast Jamma adapter

Post by tek-9 »

Hi, Does anyone have a clue what type of DC JAMMA adapter I got.
A friend gave this to me and there is no manual with it.. It seems you can use it for SEGA or SONY consoles. When clicking the SEGA setting you get a list DC1 > DC59. When selecting a DCx option you get some more settings. I guess this is a games list. Anyone seen or used this type of adapter before and willing to share some information about it?

PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Sega Dreamcast Jamma adapter

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

There's been a few 3rd-party Jamma adapters released for both Dreamcast and Playstation 2 consoles (back in the early-to-mid 2000s era) but with using a "countdown timer" setup that'd be superimposed over on game being played to denote how much time is remaining/left. Once the timer reaches zero, said game would freeze up and you'd have to insert another coin/credit to continue playing. The countdown timer is user adjustable -- it's a given alrighty.

This type of "pay to play" format is used with the Nintendo Play Choice-10 pcb, TurboGrafx-16 jamma conversion pcb, various 3rd-party manufactured PC Engine jamma conversion pcbs for use in Japanese game centers, the Spain produced PC Engine powered Tourvision jamma pcb used in both France and Spain arcades back in the early-to-mid 1990s, etc. Try fiddling with the dipswitch settings and see what they do -- write down your findings/results for future reference next time should the need arise.

The Jamma adapter you have would indicate/clue us in that it'd be a dual purpose one supporting both the DC and PS2 consoles with the proper cable interfaces for A/V output & game controller ports (assuming that they are both included for completeness, of course). I'm sorry that I don't know anymore about your specific jamma adapter setup though, tek-9.

Cool Japanese DC console btw -- the "telltale" clue with the blue colored swirl gives it away.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
LDigital

Re: Sega Dreamcast Jamma adapter

Post by LDigital »

I have a jp console and the swirl was orange. My pal one was blue. What is the giveaway about that one? It looks western