Arcade Stick Length for Shmups (and other games)?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Arcade Stick Length for Shmups (and other games)?

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

A question for folks who use arcade sticks or have cabs with sticks: what stick length do you like? Do you ever extend it past the normal length, or even shorten it?

The reason I ask is because I installed Seimitsu LS-32s in a device intended for Sanwa sticks, and needed to use an adapter plate that causes it to sit a bit lower (0.5 - 0.7 cm approx) than the Sanwa stick I had in it previously. I find it still comfortable to play on, though it's a bit on the low side for a "wineglass" type grip if you've got a big hand, and I've received comments suggesting I should try to raise it a bit. What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so? I tried buying a metal stick extender that just threads into place but it felt like it made it WAY taller than necessary.

With the stock setup being slightly lower, I've seen some very impressive play on it by friends, with one nearly triggering Ketsui's Omote loop, and later another friend made it to the 2-5 Hibachi fight in DOJ BL, so I figure how I've got it currently can't be that bad...?
Steven

Re: Arcade Stick Length for Shmups (and other games)?

Post by Steven »

My New Astro City came with LS-32s on both sides of the CP and I have no plans to change to a different lever, although I'm thinking about swapping for WASD with an SOCD cleaner.

I pulled one out and put it in my RAP N just to see how it fit and it's a bit shorter there than I'd like, but even as a wine grip dude I could get used to it if I wanted to, but it caused me to leave the Hayabusa in the RAP N even though I don't really like the Hayabusa that much after using the LS-32 so much.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuh

You said stick length

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuh
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
ACE1CC

Post by ACE1CC »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:05 pm The reason I ask is because I installed Seimitsu LS-32s in a device intended for Sanwa sticks, and needed to use an adapter plate that causes it to sit a bit lower (0.5 - 0.7 cm approx) than the Sanwa stick I had in it previously. I find it still comfortable to play on, though it's a bit on the low side for a "wineglass" type grip if you've got a big hand, and I've received comments suggesting I should try to raise it a bit. What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so? I tried buying a metal stick extender that just threads into place but it felt like it made it WAY taller than necessary.
The LS-32 is a stubby stick. Which adapter plate are you using? I would recommend a Seimitsu SS plate so it extends the shaft higher. The flat Seimitsu SE plate makes the joystick shaft sit too low for control panels where a Sanwa JLF is supposed to be mounted.

Pictures of the SS plate:
"The answer lies in the heart of battle"
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Personally, I much prefer lower over higher joystick shaft mounting. The pivot of a taller shaft appears to add throw. It might complicate a full wine glass grip though. I think joystick shaft extenders are meant to be used when mounting a Japanese stick in a thicker wooden panel.
slagcoin.com wrote: Sanwa

Joystick mounting height: 23mm-24mm between the bottom of the ball top and the top of the control panel (reference: Paik)
Joystick top panel hole: 24mm diameter circle (plus or minus a few millimeters will work too)

Seimitsu

Joystick mounting height: 23mm-24mm between the bottom of the ball top and the top of the control panel (reference: Paik)
Joystick top panel hole: 24mm diameter circle (plus or minus a few millimeters will work too)

https://slagcoin.com/joystick/mounting_layering.html
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Seconded on the SS plate. I started modding sticks recently and put a LS-32 into the fighting stick alpha. It was tricky to screw in, but it fit nicely in that once the screws were all the way in. I also put a LS-40 in the blue RAP4 for PS4, which also requires the SS plate, but has a taller shaft. The LS-56, which I put in a RAPV for Switch, is fine with the RE plate it comes with. However, if you want to keep that Hayabusa, they feel very nice with a 1mm oversized actuator, 2lb spring, and Kowal octogate, which I put in my RAP N and the Chun Li RAPV for Switch.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

ACE1CC wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:45 pmWhich adapter plate are you using? I would recommend a Seimitsu SS plate so it extends the shaft higher.
It's a flat one (I think I got from FocusAttack) that was meant for mounting Seimitsu sticks to existing Sanwa hardware as their screwholes don't normally line up to each other. Any solution I have would ideally need to work with the mounting points that are in a New Net City. I don't know how easily you can remove the stock Sanwa mounting plate or if it's welded, I opted for an easier solution initially. I could see if removing the Sanwa parts is easy or doable, but I didn't want to risk accidentally damaging the control panel at the time I first got it.

Now that I think about it it's possible mine may have come with SS plates, I'll have to check, I know I have an extra Seimitsu laying around.
Jonpachi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:40 pmYou said stick length
JUST WAIT'LL WE GET INTO DISCUSSING GIRT- wait this isn't the dick stock thread
ACE1CC

Post by ACE1CC »

Yeah if you are able to use an SS plate it should feel more comfortable to you.
"The answer lies in the heart of battle"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The problem will be seeing if I can install one or not. I think there's some welding on the control panel so I don't know if I can just unscrew the hardware that's currently on there... if it doesn't work out and seem like an SS plate can be installed easily I'll just have to be happy with what I have. Even if it's not quite as high as Sanwa would rest, it works quite well I think and given they've been played for years without comment, I'm probably worrying about it more than necessary...
emphatic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:05 pm Personally, I much prefer lower over higher joystick shaft mounting. The pivot of a taller shaft appears to add throw.
I've tried a couple makeshift options such as installing a bit of wire at the base of where the knob threads in to push it up a few mm, but using the actual joystick extenders made it feel way too long. I agree I think I prefer it being slightly too short vs too long, but then I'm not a wine glass grip kinda guy. Lengthening it also makes it take longer to do rapid up/down or left/right alternating movements.
BIL

FATE OF TWO WORLDS (`w´メ) (◎w◎;)

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:10 pm
Jonpachi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:40 pmYou said stick length
JUST WAIT'LL WE GET INTO DISCUSSING GIRT- wait this isn't the dick stock thread
ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE (■`w´■)

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

You could try a Seimitsu bullet top. With the lowered shaft it might feel perfect bc it's taller than a ball top anyway.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

@BIL recommended top for the above setup

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

THIS ISN'T THE DICK STOCK THREAD (ง •̀ w •́)ง

Bullet top's a good suggestion, I appreciate all your help folks.

That butt plug top looks almost as bad as the brown fuzzy carpet tops sfkhoa bought as a joke that feel like you're groping an old man's scrotum. They look like this and feel just as bad as they look. :shock:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I like the stock arcade joystick and push buttons that Qanba uses in it's Crystal arcade stick with it's PS3 & PS4 support from the get-go + the factory installed cool blue led lighting effects to top it off.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I was big on the LS-58 back in the X360 days. Mostly used that and the 56, but I just bought two LS-32 sticks to put in my cab. Kinda curious if I’ll notice a difference, but I think I generally like short sticks/throws
a creature... half solid half gas
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Some-Mist wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:42 pm Kinda curious if I’ll notice a difference, but I think I generally like short sticks/throws
I think I do too. Especially compared to this. >w>;;
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:44 am
Some-Mist wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:42 pm Kinda curious if I’ll notice a difference, but I think I generally like short sticks/throws
I think I do too. Especially compared to this. >w>;;
I almost thought that was a Nintendo stick at the top of those extenders. That stick also has a very short shaft. I honestly kind of like that stick. Micro switched, very responsive, and better than much of what Happ offered. The counter top PC10 joystick is horrible, though. Nothing but shaft with no top. What the heck were they thinking?
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Lmao, the full palm grip of the shaft was the icing on the cake
a creature... half solid half gas
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I will pioneer the JERKIN' IT grip and get the 1cc, just you wait

except I won't because it was so horrible and stupid I gave up after one attempt :'3
@drivelikej9962 wrote: Now I see that my timid shaft grip was really holding me back. A proper stick should be seized, not wiggled and jiggled.
the youtube comments are leavin me in tears, thanks lads, you've made my stupid little video worthwhile

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

One thing for sure, it's better than the PC10 countertop version stick.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Oh man I had never seen one of those countertop PC10s only the upright. What the hell is that stick? It's like they decided to save 75 cents by not putting ball tops on.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

lol, it's like you're supposed to write with it like it's a pencil or something??
ThundergunExpress

Post by ThundergunExpress »

This video is incredible, but I need more stick exposure- give us some action zoom closeup on that bad lad.

I know I said this video is incredible, but I hate it and you should feel bad for bringing this monstrosity into existence however briefly it lasted :lol:

To keep on topic, I think stick length depends on your grip style. If you wine glass you'll want a longer one, whereas I only use ball top so I prefer a short lever.