Angel at Dusk (Akiragoya) - out now (PC/Steam)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

Angel at Dusk (Akiragoya) - out now (PC/Steam)

Post by FunktionJCB »

Developer Akiragoya's (Galshell, Steel Vampire, Maidens of a Hollow Dream, ...) new game, Angel at Dusk, is out now on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1405 ... l_at_Dusk/

ttiki

Re: Angel at Dusk (Akiragoya) - out now (PC/Steam)

Post by ttiki »

The whole text of the video is pure gold:

"Upon a mons pubis 2.3 billion years in the future, a heatwave of skeletal hard-liners rages"
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

This new pc doujin stg from creator of Galshell looks be an interesting sub-genre of "body horror" gone all-out in terms of human evolution but 2.3 billion years later into the far-future with the Sun becoming a supergiant type-of-senario. This type of stg surely wouldn't be found on the Switch platform for sure. It'd be pushing it if it's "greenlit" for Exa-Arcadia as a highly controversial stg release (something different for a change of pace for sure).

Runs on Steam Deck without the need for a Proton fix necessary (nor is it required anyways). The evolution of your Angel character undergoes several transformations (strongly reminds me of the classic stg of IGS' Cybercore on the PCE/TG-16 consoles with it's "Rad Ralph" character undergoing such transformations throughout the entire game as well). You can play it in either Japanese or English text throughout. Interesting evolution/backstory with humanity evolving into something else entirely that sets the overall tone/vibe for the entire duration of this sub-genre "underground" danmaku stg.

Has online leaderboard support from the get-go which is nice/a plus in my book.

You can choose run it in either 640 x 720 or 1280 x 720 resolution (the latter resolution setting looks best on the Steam Deck's screen considering it maxes out at 1280 x 800 anyways).

The background scenery can be something found out of a Lovecrafthain inspired world/universe where the flesh has given away to nothing but just literally bones and what's left of highly-evolved organs to sustain life (meaning no need for clothing for that matter as bones are the new clothes "in fashion" to wear in regards to the characters/small fry/mid-stage bosses/end-stage bosses portrayed/depicted in "Angel at Dusk"). This type of visual aesthetic may not be to everyone's "cup of tea" (in regards to stgs in general) but in this case, it simply "works/gels/sells the story" with "AaD" as it is. So be it. As in the art world, anything goes.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

I find it aesthetically compelling but the gameplay rhythm... I don't know what's exactly my problem with it, I can't pinpoint it, but I feel like the game is very slow-paced and then, in one second, it's very frantic and catches me off-guard. I still have to play a bit more, I clocked just two hours on it, but I don't know what to think about it.

Make no mistake, the game is a labour of love and you can tell so by the art, the music... everything, really, has been carefully thought. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Angel at Dusk has been great fun so far. Like Steel Vampire before it, it encourages an aggressive, point-blanking playstyle - speedkilling enemies with your normal shot whilst using your charged shot as a defensive tool to slow down or cancel bullets. The more up-front you are, the quicker you'll gather 'lipids' which level you up. Very Hard, the game's normal mode, is actually very gentle (though the final boss presents a fair spike), and the tutorial is superb at explaining STG concepts to new players. Highly recommended!
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

boner
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

I’d had the demo for this installed for a long, long time and would randomly boot it up. Full release really delivers.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This looks really cool. I admit that Steel Vampire didn't grab me so much but I am more hopeful that this game is more to my taste. If anything, the bizarre fetishistic visuals definitely stand out, lol.