Dreamcast into a PC CRT

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Dreamcast into a PC CRT

Post by shmupsrocks »

To play original Dreamcast games (all regions and homebrew) on a PC CRT I think the ideal is a Yamaha drive VA0 or VA1 console, BIOS mod, and some type of VGA output. Am I missing anything?

What is the best choice for VGA output if I only want to connect to a PC monitor?

Any other mods to consider?
Josh128

Re: Dreamcast into a PC CRT

Post by Josh128 »

shmupsrocks wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:19 pm To play original Dreamcast games (all regions and homebrew) on a PC CRT I think the ideal is a Yamaha drive VA0 or VA1 console, BIOS mod, and some type of VGA output. Am I missing anything?

What is the best choice for VGA output if I only want to connect to a PC monitor?

Any other mods to consider?
You dont need any mods at all to play DC on a PC CRT. Just need a VGA adapter, thats it.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

One option. I don't know if it's good quality, but just to give you an idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261438411631?m ... media=COPY

You'll need to do something with the audio.

Not all DC games support vga, but many do. Theres a gsmelist on the internet for reference.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

NoAffinity wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:58 pm One option. I don't know if it's good quality, but just to give you an idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261438411631?m ... media=COPY

You'll need to do something with the audio.

Not all DC games support vga, but many do. Theres a gsmelist on the internet for reference.

Have anyone tried that cable? Is it good?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

The RGB on most VGA boxes/cables won't be attenuated, even the added 10 Ohm resistors used in the RGC cable doesn't quite stop the clipping. Only the Retro Access cable with a "full attenuator network that keeps impedance matched" will afaik. You can mitigate this issue with something like an OSSC though.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Josh128 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:51 pm You dont need any mods at all to play DC on a PC CRT. Just need a VGA adapter, thats it.
Yes but I want to play all regions and I don't think homebrews work on VA2 consoles. I've read that a Yamaha drive is best.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Gunstar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:13 pm The RGB on most VGA boxes/cables won't be attenuated, even the added 10 Ohm resistors used in the RGC cable doesn't quite stop the clipping. Only the Retro Access cable with a "full attenuator network that keeps impedance matched" will afaik. You can mitigate this issue with something like an OSSC though.
Is this true even with the official Sega VGA box?

Are Retro Access cables available again?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

shmupsrocks wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:53 pm
Gunstar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:13 pm The RGB on most VGA boxes/cables won't be attenuated, even the added 10 Ohm resistors used in the RGC cable doesn't quite stop the clipping. Only the Retro Access cable with a "full attenuator network that keeps impedance matched" will afaik. You can mitigate this issue with something like an OSSC though.
Is this true even with the official Sega VGA box?

Are Retro Access cables available again?
Yeah, same goes for the official Sega VGA box.

I believe they're available currently, there are a few wrinkles with the RA cable in that it won't put out RGBHV when doing 480p (someone correct me if this is wrong), it's 480p RGBS and it uses a male SCART end so you have to jump through some hoops to get it working directly on a PC CRT if that's your aim.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Gunstar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:13 pm Are Retro Access cables available again?
Orders are open, but the queue is long and it is taking a while for that queue to get worked through.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Is this the DC cable? I don't see any mention of a built-in attenuator network.

https://retro-access.com/collections/dr ... cart-cable

How best to go from SCART to VGA?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

The input stage of 95% of PC CRT monitors can handle the slightly hot RGB levels out of the DC perfectly fine without any clipping. You may just need to nudge the contrast control down a hair.

Remember the PC CRT was the intended output device for the DC VGA box as originally designed.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

@shmupsrocks Dan designed the RA cable iirc, he confirmed it here:
maxtherabbit wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm
The input stage of 95% of PC CRT monitors can handle the slightly hot RGB levels out of the DC perfectly fine without any clipping. You may just need to nudge the contrast control down a hair.

Remember the PC CRT was the intended output device for the DC VGA box as originally designed.
I did notice that both on my PC CRT and consumer CRT sets would have less clipping (because of terminating resistor input side?) vs a Flat panel or OSSC's default pre-ADC setting of 8 but there was still some clipping even with 10 Ohm resistors in place. I didn't mess with contrast on the PC CRT though will have to give that try. With the 10 Ohm mod I went from using 6 pre-ADC setting to 7 on the OSSC.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

I used generic VGA cables and it looked perfect on my PC CRTs.
Dont bother spending much on cables or overpriced boxes unless it looks bad on the CRT.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Ok maybe it depends on the CRT. Even so I'd love to get a Retro Access cable but I'd want to wait until the company is back on track. Is there another good choice for cable if I'm relying on my CRT to attenuate the signal? All I need is VGA and audio.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

I'd try the $15 one linked near the beginning of the thread. Route the audio into some speakers and you ought to be fine.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Back in March/April of 2000, Sega of Japan had the Official DC VGA Box up for sale at 6,000 yen. You could easily see at the many specialty electronic stores in Akiharbara. Using with an old-school 4:3 based crt-based svga monitor looks awesome in person.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If you don't want to go crazy and go down the rabbit hole, you can also hunt an inexpensive used XRGB-1 or XRGB-2 (if there are any for sale) and drop it between the Dreamcast and your monitor for better compatibility with the entire DC library.

You could do a lot more, but that's plenty for a PC CRT setup.
We apologise for the inconvenience