The 3D Printable MCA Joystick project (MCA 3D)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

The 3D Printable MCA Joystick project (MCA 3D)

Post by Syntax »

I'm reposting this for a friend and everyone here as I have always thought the MCA was the king of SHMUPS joysticks.

Hi all,

Thought it was about time to start typing my notes up on this project that a mate and myself have been working on for the past year. Particularly given it's finally getting to a stage of maturity where we can actually show some real examples, gain some important feedback, while we start working on preparing for a public release of the files for both home users and the DIY arcade community! 🙂

So without further ado presenting...

The Modern 'Classic Aussie' 3D Joystick ... (or 'MCA 3D')

A modern inspired recreation of the 'Classic Aussie' MCA joystick that can be reproduced using household 3D printing techniques.

The goals of this project was to design a completely new 3d printable joystick that captured as much of the 'look and feel' of classic MCA Aussie joysticks using a combination of commonly available arcade parts (shafts, smaller ball-tops) with customised 3d printable parts. Our intention is to eventually make the 3D printable .stl files publicly available in the spirit of open hardware / open software once we have incorporated further feedback into the designs.

While aiming to preserve this style of joystick, we wanted to provide retro enthusiasts with another accessible pathway to trying out and experiencing a 'spring less' arcade joystick of the 80s and 90s for themselves particularly given were mostly only found around Australia and NZ and maybe difficult to source in other countries.

Important Disclaimer: While we feel we have gotten pretty close to look and feel of the original, to be clear, this is not a 1:1 replica of the original MCA. In part due to the use of different arcade parts such as the JLF shaft and also due to use of 3D printing techniques.

Official Project URL: https://github.com/dekkit/Modern-Classi ... D-Joystick
Official Forum: https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/1028 ... ct-mca-3d/

Recent 3D Printed Examples

Example Parts

1 x Seimitsu LB-30 Ball Top (Note: 30mm)
1 x Standard JLF Shaft
2 x Shaft Extenders
4 x Micro switches (Lever)
All other parts incorporated into the examples have been 3D printed using either PLA or resin printing techniques, with TPU for the flexible bush.

Further information on assembly can be found on the github referenced in the url above.

Current Status:

We are currently obtaining feedback on few mature prototypes before we finalise and publish the 3d files, if you'd like contribute to the project please get in contact.

Also I am also collating notes in support of the somewhat less glamorous aspects of the project.... the documentation 🙂

Acknowledgements

This project would have not been made possible without the excellent initial 3d scanning, 3d design, 3d printing (... so so much printing), guidance and support provided by cm_au to help bring the initial solution ideas and hand-drawings to life! This also gave me time to start skilling up on 3d modelling software so I could further refine the look and feel of the joystick (which was critical after initial play testing and a couple of feedback sessions). I would also like to give a shout out to Monty for sharing his 3D printable MCA bush (see: https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/5726 ... ick-refurb/) which was also was included in this design with permission.

Also to those of your who provided feedback on the initial prints, helped with play testing and giving quality feedback, and also those who provided chipped in to buy more 3D printer filament!
emphatic

Re: The 3D Printable MCA Joystick project (MCA 3D)

Post by emphatic »

This is awesome. I have never heard of nor tried the MCA joystick, at first glance, it looks a lot like the SUZO 500 that is also discontinued. I'm guessing the MCA only came with a rubber grommet, or did a spring loaded version of it co-exist, like for the SUZO 500, that I own both the rare rubber version as well as the spring type one.

I wanted to suggest someone 3D printing a body that would fit with SANWA or Seimitsu shafts but with the feel and characteristics of a SUZO 500 for a while now, but I no longer have my cabinets at home, so I am not very motivated to experiment.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.