M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dmk1198

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by dmk1198 »

Great review on Eurogamer
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

rtw wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 am M2 twitter, I seem to remember them posting in English sometimes.

https://twitter.com/m2_game
Another sign that they gave up on the western market.

I think the Kyukyoku Tiger-Heli release by Limited Run Games is only happening due to Embracer owning Toaplan. Not expecting any non-Toaplan M2 ShotTriggers released in English.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

rtw wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 am M2 twitter, I seem to remember them posting in English sometimes.

https://twitter.com/m2_game
Thanks. I sent them a message in English with a Google Translate version after it. You never know.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

How do I play Arcade Osarai mode? My screen is blank when I first start it up. Please help
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

Is it normal I can't insert more than 7 credits? Do I have to raise the limit with more playtime or is there an option I accidentally changed?
eksratu

Post by eksratu »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:00 pm How do I play Arcade Osarai mode? My screen is blank when I first start it up. Please help
You have to play (and die) in Arcade/White Label mode for anything to show up in Osarai mode.
DestroyTheCore wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:33 pm Is it normal I can't insert more than 7 credits? Do I have to raise the limit with more playtime or is there an option I accidentally changed?
I think you get more credits to play with by finishing games. I got to 9 credits by attempting BL and Arrange EX a few times and making sure to submit my scores.
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

eksratu wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:30 am
DestroyTheCore wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:33 pm Is it normal I can't insert more than 7 credits? Do I have to raise the limit with more playtime or is there an option I accidentally changed?
I think you get more credits to play with by finishing games. I got to 9 credits by attempting BL and Arrange EX a few times and making sure to submit my scores.
Seems like I can now credit feed. I'll finally be able to reach Stage 2! :lol:
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I'm always amazed how easy it is to get caught up in the stupidity of these games when you are playing them every day, but whenever I take a few days off any particular game and come back to it, you realise just how bullshit some of the stages are and you wonder why you have even been wasting your time trying to entertain the idea that you can get through them. This is basically a 5 stage game with 3 final stages.

It's absolute nonsense.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Maybe this game is just not for you? Are there shmups you actually enjoy?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

P L A N K E D
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

Jonpachi wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:07 pm Maybe this game is just not for you? Are there shmups you actually enjoy?
I enjoy the gameplay of a lot of them, but once they change from mostly reactive dodging to strict route memorisation with no room for deviation or ability to impact the result any other way I find they become less and less interesting. Strict route memorisation usually goes hand in hand with difficulty, which is why this game for example is significantly less fun from stage 3 onwards.

Basically, the absolute necessity for strict routing is far too much of a requirement for success and often occurs far too early in many of these games.
Last edited by DrTrouserPlank on Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Just play something else that's less strict. I didn't get this because I knew I didn't want to play DOJ (I have the PS2 ver.).
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

I can see the argument, strict routing feels a bit like memorizing chess openings, can take the fun out of it. But this port has super easy, two arranges and black label, so there's some alternatives for people that found the white label of the PS2 port a bit too punishing.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I've been having a *lot* of fun with arrange-L. Making it to Hibachi is pretty easy, but *beating* Hibachi's another story. It's a pretty interesting experience continually replaying the game trying to optimize my run the whole way through to have more lives/bombs to take into the end, as opposed to grinding out a 1cc in arcade mode where I press to survive a little further each time.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

Yeah as I say, it's just way too much strict routing hence the 3 final stages comparison. Usually you can get by in these games with some light routing or pre-emptive firing on stage 3 and maybe to some extent 4 before the final stage becomes a strict memory snorefest. This game is just 3 final stages back to back, where if you end up a quarter of a second late to any spot you need to be at the whole screen descends into chaos and is unrecoverable. It's very much a good example of how these games are specifically designed to not be cleared without pumping them with money.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 amif you end up a quarter of a second late to any spot you need to be at the whole screen descends into chaos and is unrecoverable.
DTP is a visitor from an alternate reality where DaiOuJou has no bombs or hypers and the hitbox is about triple the size we're all used to.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:44 am
DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 amif you end up a quarter of a second late to any spot you need to be at the whole screen descends into chaos and is unrecoverable.
DTP is a visitor from an alternate reality where DaiOuJou has no bombs or hypers and the hitbox is about triple the size we're all used to.
I never said that. To the contrary, on Jan 12th I said this:
Should have been a 4 button game. I don't want to hyper I want to fucking bomb asshat. Get that shit off my screen.
The lack of choice you have over this matter is one of my biggest gripes outside of the difficulty and rigid nature of the gameplay. I don't need a system that replaces my bomb button with something that ultimately ends up making the game harder than it is to begin with.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 pm The lack of choice you have over this matter is one of my biggest gripes outside of the difficulty and rigid nature of the gameplay. I don't need a system that replaces my bomb button with something that ultimately ends up making the game harder than it is to begin with.
Fixing this like in the later games would've made for a fun ROM hack or something M2 could've offered in an arrange. Question for people that are good at DOJ, would this be actually be useful in this game? Are there any cool routes or strategies that would be unlocked if you had separate buttons?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 pmI never said that.
DrTrouserPlank, using the word "unrecoverable" either incorrectly or as a form of hyperbole as is usual wrote:if you end up a quarter of a second late to any spot you need to be at the whole screen descends into chaos and is unrecoverable.
Anyways, if you don't want the bullet speed increase from using a hyper, just mash the bomb button until you use a bomb. You'll cancel out of the hyper safely before anything gets hectic. Generally, the extra damage from hypering is worth the risk of increased bullet speeds for a short period of time, and you normally want to use a hyper for safety over a bomb under normal circumstances as you can either survive until the hyper ends, or bomb to end it early if it gets dicey. The only reason to use a bomb without hypering might be for scoring purposes (saving it for a later, more lucrative section). Would it be nice to have dedicated buttons? Perhaps, but the game works fine as it is, as do other 3 buttons games with hyper/bomb mapped to one button like Rolling Gunner, Crimzon Clover, etc.
ASDR wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:42 pmFixing this like in the later games
SDOJ doesn't work this way. The Exa mode does, however.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:29 pm
Ah, I never actually played it, the four button control scheme is only on the actual Exa system? The 360 port or the CV1000D ROM don't support this?
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I'm going to have to leave this shit alone. It's just a shitty scoring system, a shitty bomb system and absolutely busted difficulty progression. Fucking terrible even by Cave's standards.

(btw I found out how the bomb system is supposed to work. If you credit feed it like intended, you can bomb when you like since you never have a hyper available.)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:10 pm I'm going to have to leave this shit alone. It's just a shitty scoring system, a shitty bomb system and absolutely busted difficulty progression. Fucking terrible even by Cave's standards.

(btw I found out how the bomb system is supposed to work. If you credit feed it like intended, you can bomb when you like since you never have a hyper available.)
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I'm inclined to think that is probably sugar, but it was a spirited try nonetheless.
EngineerSTG

Post by EngineerSTG »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 pmI never said that.
DrTrouserPlank, using the word "unrecoverable" either incorrectly or as a form of hyperbole as is usual wrote:if you end up a quarter of a second late to any spot you need to be at the whole screen descends into chaos and is unrecoverable.
Anyways, if you don't want the bullet speed increase from using a hyper, just mash the bomb button until you use a bomb. You'll cancel out of the hyper safely before anything gets hectic. Generally, the extra damage from hypering is worth the risk of increased bullet speeds for a short period of time, and you normally want to use a hyper for safety over a bomb under normal circumstances as you can either survive until the hyper ends, or bomb to end it early if it gets dicey. The only reason to use a bomb without hypering might be for scoring purposes (saving it for a later, more lucrative section). Would it be nice to have dedicated buttons? Perhaps, but the game works fine as it is, as do other 3 buttons games with hyper/bomb mapped to one button like Rolling Gunner, Crimzon Clover, etc.
That’s not true, especially for survival. Which I’m sure is what we’re talking about. Just off the top of my head, using bomb for quick kills on the second and fourth boss.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

DrTrouserPlank wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:10 pm I'm going to have to leave this shit alone. It's just a shitty scoring system, a shitty bomb system and absolutely busted difficulty progression. Fucking terrible even by Cave's standards.

Dawg you gotta just put in the work, none of these games get easier unless you legitimately practice the hard parts and stop searching for excuses. Or just turn the difficulty down, which is also fine to do and actually built into the game. The levels are learnable unless you convince yourself that they aren't. Not the game dev's fault. Learning is fun
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I mean, if anything, M2 includes the Super Easy modes for exactly these reasons. If someone wants to play through without feeling the need for stringent pathing, that's kind of a perfect solution. There's also Custom mode to further tweak settings to your liking, the arrange modes in this ShotTriggers release are also a bit more flexible, there are lots of good training/practice tools, gadgets to help you with stuff like bee locations, and if you get comfortable with all that and feel like moving on to arcade Black Label, it's there when you're ready. Or if you never want to do that, totally viable too! M2 is doing literally everything possible to make these games more accessible and fill them with difficulty options so they aren't so rough, if you don't want to use those options that's on you.

But sure, talk about how "shitty" of a game DOJ is, and complain about it being "[f]ucking terrible even by Cave's standards" for what, shock value? Dropping into this topic just to take a wildly contrarian position on one of the most beloved games in genre history (it shows up in the top 5 of the community-voted best shmups ever list almost almost every year for the past two decades) feels more like trolling than anything. Not to say people can't have their own opinions, even if those are squarely in the minority, but what exactly do you expect to get out of coming in guns blazing to talk about how a game most of us really like is trash?

Sorry you don't seem to be enjoying yourself, Doc. I can only suggest maybe giving some more serious consideration to using the alternate modes available through this release that kinda feel like they should address a lot of your issues. If it's not for you, OK, cool. Let the people who enjoy the thing have their fun.
Steven

Post by Steven »

ASDR wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:55 pm
Ah, I never actually played it, the four button control scheme is only on the actual Exa system? The 360 port or the CV1000D ROM don't support this?
That's right. Even then they are only separate in the new Exa mode and not the original mode or whatever it's called.

While I am here, why do people like this game so much, both in general and compared to the other games in this series? I have been wondering about it myself for a while. Why is it considered the best game in this series, and what does it do better than the others? Aside from the autobomb in Daifukkatsu and Daioujou being more strict with chaining than the rest, they all seem about the same to me if I'm being honest... I have only played DonPachi for like 2 or 3 minutes, though, so I know basically nothing about that game.

Also, for people who like chaining... assuming you exist, why do you like chaining?
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I honestly can't even tell what difference changing the game to easy makes. Maybe it affects bullet speed a tiny little bit but it's incredibly minimal. Bullet density seems just as bad. It certainly isn't going to make any difference.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Trouser, I feel your pain. There is a bit more memorisation in here than other cave games, but I will say that just as I was about to give in, I got the black label clear. I was starting to feel a little frustrated with it, but didn't realise how close I was.

Push on! Have you tried B-exy? The extra bombs you get with the other loadouts feel like a decoy, the extra fire power with exy is a much better deal.

I'm king of the flailing shitters. I never do any practise, always full runs, but playing the arranges will definitely have prepared me. The final stage felt so intuitive once I got there. If I can do it, anyone can.

Stick with it. Maybe you just need a break to play something else and recharge your batteries, or play some more of the arrange modes. Perseverance will get you through!
Steven

Post by Steven »

This game just claimed a casualty: the d-pad on my Retro-Bit Saturn controller stopped registering down inputs immediately after I destroyed the stage 2 miniboss. Opened the controller to find the d-pad's down thingy cracked. Great. Looks like I'm not playing this game, or anything else on Switch, for a while.