Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 2011)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Emerl

Re: Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 2011)

Post by Emerl »

Steven wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:27 am Is Instant Brain really that bad? Somehow I doubt it. I don't think I've ever seen it for sale locally, but I forgot that it exists, so I haven't been specifically looking for it.

I have better ways to play DDP, like just going to any arcade in town because every single one I've ever been to has the game, so I don't really care about it for that purpose; I just want to see if Instant Brain is as terrible as everyone says it is or if it's just being called that because the people complaining about it don't know Japanese. I have a feeling it's probably the latter.
I don't know Japanese. I know the basics of the plot from the visuals and context. The art is not good, and the character designs are extremely cringe. The music is okay. The gameplay is clearly aping Ace Attorney, but it has none of the charm. Maybe the writing is fantastic, but I doubt it.

It is certainly not the worst visual novel ever made, but for non-Japanese speakers this is just a huge waste of time, and I wanted to save people that.

If you play it and end up enjoying the plot, I am happy for you. Please write a full synopsis of the plot, as one doesn't yet exist in English.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I may consider it if I have nothing else to do lol. Unfortunately for me, that happens quite often. It also depends on if I can remember to actually find the game, though, which is the hardest part given my supremely terrible memory.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

I did this back in the day. I wouldn't do it again for all the money in the world.

I read and speak Japanese fluently, so I went in with an open mind. But I remember the art was so cringe and the story so bad that I ended up skipping the whole game and just followed the walkthrough for the prompts so that I could unlock every achievement and DDP.

Overall I recall it took me about 5-6 hours which I'll never get back.

The DDP experience wasn't that bad but I hated the fact that I couldn't rebind the controls. What was nice was the leaderboards, which were still working fine and should still be up and running as of today.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

CAVE is usually really good about providing control remapping so that's sad to hear.
Steven

Post by Steven »

locoBro1196 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:02 am I did this back in the day. I wouldn't do it again for all the money in the world.

I read and speak Japanese fluently, so I went in with an open mind. But I remember the art was so cringe and the story so bad that I ended up skipping the whole game and just followed the walkthrough for the prompts so that I could unlock every achievement and DDP.

Overall I recall it took me about 5-6 hours which I'll never get back.
That bad, huh? I don't expect post-2007 Innocent Grey levels of quality in writing or especially art, but that sounds pretty terrible. Now I kind of want to play it to see how bad it actually is instead of seeing how bad it actually isn't, if that makes sense.