Anyone padhack controllers with turbo functionality?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jd213

Anyone padhack controllers with turbo functionality?

Post by jd213 »

I like using my custom Hori RAP3 with LS-32 stick and Sanwa buttons for just about all retro games, and have done external padhacks for most of my retro consoles (for various reasons I prefer padhacks to modern solutions like Brook Retro boards and converters).

Problem is that turbo only seems to work on certain padhacked controllers (maybe because of differences in chips responsible for turbo functionality?).

For example, turbo on a padhacked Genesis Arcade Power Stick works, but a 1st party PC Engine pad and NES Max don't (the turbo buttons on a Max just function as non-turbo A/B button when padhacked).

Not having turbo isn't a problem for most games/systems, but there's definitely some shmups on NES/FC and PCE/TG-16 that I'd prefer to have turbo.

Looks like the ASCII Stick Turbo Jr (FC verson of NES Advantage) has turbo when it's padhacked, but I still have to test to make sure it has common ground. Still looking for a controller for PC Engine with common ground and has turbo that works when padhacked.

Anyone have any experience with this? Most online info on padhacks doesn't seem to mention turbo at all.
Dochartaigh

Re: Anyone padhack controllers with turbo functionality?

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm not understanding why controllers with turbo, once you transplant the PCB into a fightstick case, wouldn't also have turbo. Generally speaking a button is a button, with on and off states, using two simple wires, and really not much more... so shouldn't matter if it's the original, or re-wired to your Sanwa buttons you would think.

Otherwise, there ARE boards which can add turbo functionality to a fightstick... but the only one I can find with a quick google search is the R.M.A.F., which is made as an add-on specifically for Brook boards... which wouldn't work for a padhack like you use I don't think. I'm sure somebody with knowledge could do this with a Raspberry Pi Pico or similar... but I know little about those so can't add more info.

Also, I posted in the Fightstick Discord about this - as I swore there was something which did this... but I could be mistaken. So far people said "no", but I'll post back if anybody posts about a possible solution for something like this.

Not related to your exact question, but I'm curious how you're adding multiple padhack'd PCB's inside the same fightstick? Or how do you switch between them? ...I'm scared to see a picture of the wiring if they're all in the same case lol ;)
(mine gets complicated enough with just an Xbox 360 -wireless- padhack I commonly do on mine - where I'm keeping the original, stock, wired USB functionality as well).
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Dochartaigh wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:09 pm I'm not understanding why controllers with turbo, once you transplant the PCB into a fightstick case, wouldn't also have turbo. Generally speaking a button is a button, with on and off states, using two simple wires, and really not much more... so shouldn't matter if it's the original, or re-wired to your Sanwa buttons you would think.
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I dunno why turbo doesn't work on some controllers when padhacked either, but I'm just a solder monkey and only have basic knowledge on how controllers work in the first place.

Otherwise, there ARE boards which can add turbo functionality to a fightstick... but the only one I can find with a quick google search is the R.M.A.F., which is made as an add-on specifically for Brook boards... which wouldn't work for a padhack like you use I don't think. I'm sure somebody with knowledge could do this with a Raspberry Pi Pico or similar... but I know little about those so can't add more info.
Right, I've seen the R.M.A.F. before, but yeah, not sure if it would work for my setup.
There's also this autofire board from a creator in Korea that I've been considering, I think it might work but it would be a bit of a pain to wire up since I didn't bother connecting to the +5V/+3.3V points on the controllers for my padhacks:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads ... 202.26246/
Not related to your exact question, but I'm curious how you're adding multiple padhack'd PCB's inside the same fightstick? Or how do you switch between them? ...I'm scared to see a picture of the wiring if they're all in the same case lol ;)
(mine gets complicated enough with just an Xbox 360 -wireless- padhack I commonly do on mine - where I'm keeping the original, stock, wired USB functionality as well).
My padhacks are all external, I currently use VGA extension cables (for controllers with fewer buttons) and DB-25 cables (for controllers with more than 8 inputs) cut in half to the controllers/sticks. I first tried multiple PCBs when I started out making padhacks a decade ago, but soon ran into input problems. My external padhacks are pretty ghetto-looking and make a bit of extra clutter, but they work great other than the lack of turbo on certain systems.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Pretty sure the pce rapid fire state is acquired by differences in resistance to one wire.
Because you have increased the length of wire from the 3 points I'd say it's out of spec now.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

jd213 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:44 pm There's also this autofire board from a creator in Korea that I've been considering, I think it might work but it would be a bit of a pain to wire up since I didn't bother connecting to the +5V/+3.3V points on the controllers for my padhacks:
GREAT find! I think that's your solution... anything to do this would require a PCB... which would need power... so I know that's a pain to add to anything but that looks like the only way to do it on a non-brook board.

What's the normal turbofire rate for controllers by the way? Max of 15 per second (changeable) on these...
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

For those controllers couldnt you find the min max value of that black resistor stuff then just throw a pot on there to suit/replace?
Its just a fader style potentiometer
Turn the pot for faster pew pew

The rest of your controllers will run off switches.

May as well just order in 20 or so 555 timers and pots and make your rig full rapid fire custom.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Dochartaigh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:06 am
jd213 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:44 pm There's also this autofire board from a creator in Korea that I've been considering, I think it might work but it would be a bit of a pain to wire up since I didn't bother connecting to the +5V/+3.3V points on the controllers for my padhacks:
GREAT find! I think that's your solution... anything to do this would require a PCB... which would need power... so I know that's a pain to add to anything but that looks like the only way to do it on a non-brook board.

What's the normal turbofire rate for controllers by the way? Max of 15 per second (changeable) on these...
Hmm, I guess that would be once every 66ms. Not sure what the TG16/PCE controllers can do at the highest setting, might be faster but I'm personally fine with something that's not super-fast. I've already gotten used to quick-tapping with two fingers to go faster than the built-in turbo in games like Twin Cobra on the Genesis in order to take out bullet-sponge enemies.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Syntax wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:08 am For those controllers couldnt you find the min max value of that black resistor stuff then just throw a pot on there to suit/replace?
Its just a fader style potentiometer
Turn the pot for faster pew pew

The rest of your controllers will run off switches.

May as well just order in 20 or so 555 timers and pots and make your rig full rapid fire custom.
Ah, I think I've seen such an autofire circuit being sold on Yahoo Auctions, and then someone documented it in an English forum somewhere. Can't find the link right now, but that might be an option. I'll poke around and check resistance from my stick to the PCE controller with my multimeter when I get the chance.